PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for buyers, not Mark

beth
12-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Now that older auctions are archived past 45 days, it's great to be able to look back if you forget the exact species or strain of fish. But not everyone leaves the pictures on whatever server they used to host the images. You get text but are not guaranteed to be able to see the pictures. Often the fish for sale are quite young and the auction shows the parents. I was saving web pages, not ideal, the page needs a subfolder for all the images, in that are a couple more subfolders. Just gets cumbersome. Just one example had a total size of around 485 KB. Lots of pictures and it gets much bigger.

Get a PDF writer. Don't waste your money on bloated overpriced Adobe products. There are free PDF writers which act as pseudo printers. *Print* the page to a PDF file. One document, no subfolders. That same auction which had a file size of 485 KB is a measly 197 KB in a high quality PDF file. It also lacks the sometimes funky arrangements that I seemed to get occasionally. The PDF shows exactly what was on the screen without the browser frame.

This isn't the same as doing Print Screen. You get the full auction, maybe a couple of pages, some would be more. But it's still likely to have a much smaller file size and no annoying subfolders. If you are inclined just print the PDF file to a normal printer and make a notebook, it will probably come out better than if you tried to directly print the page.

Maybe a year or so ago there was controversy over the size and/or quality of the fish being sold. The auction was accessible but the pictures had been deleted. If you want to be a pessimist, think of it as a convenient way to have an accurate record of what you purchased.

The intent is to not be able to change the original auction text, only add to it. But there is a way around that too. It can be a little buggy but it can be done. Again, having an accurate record of what it said when you bid may come in handy. Now that sellers are putting their auction terms in their *Just Me* page which CAN be changed VERY EASILY at any time, it's just another thing you can save as a single convenient file. Overly cautious? Maybe. Unless you happen to be the one who is unfortunate enough to catch one of those few sellers which has your money but no ethics.

An optimist? Then just save the final auctions when it closes to guarantee you capture the text and pictures for when your memory isn't perfect.

lotsoffish
12-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Wouldn't it be a lot more simple to just copy and paste the auction to an e mail, send it to yourself and then save the e mail? I do that occasionally and I even save the e mail on AOL not my hard drive that way I am not wasting my hard drive space.

diburning
12-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Wouldn't it be a lot more simple to just copy and paste the auction to an e mail, send it to yourself and then save the e mail? I do that occasionally and I even save the e mail on AOL not my hard drive that way I am not wasting my hard drive space.
It would, pete, but if someone hosts their images on their photobucket or something and deletes the images after the auction closes, then even if you save the auction, the pictures will still come up as broken links.

beth, whereabouts can I get one of those pdf writers?? They save entire pages are pdf files (not pedophiles) right?

ChilDawg
12-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I use PDF Redirect, and it's absolutely fantastic. Look up PDF Redirect on Google, go to the official website, and then download the free copy.

beth
12-02-2007, 12:52 PM
PDFCreator from SourceForge is very good (is there much from Source Forge that isn't?) It does not work on my current OS.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

I have been using CutePDF Writer with Ghostscript, also great.
http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp

It is easier and faster than anything else I have tried for making a simple record of a web page. Name the file with the date, title or auction number or all three. Burn them to a CD/DVD, store on a flash drive or archive in Gmail. Also great for *printing* a receipt for online purchases when they say "print this page for your records".

What gave me the idea for storing info this way was switching from Adobe PDF reader, which is just soooooooooo slow, to Foxit PDF reader which is super fast.
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

There are a ton of choice for both free readers and writers, some better than others. My needs are simple, the programs I have mentioned are more than enough for me.

MADMIKE
12-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks,I never thought about doing something like that,great tip.

fourc
12-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Mike how hot is the coffee ????? Be well and stay warm buddy ,friend Klaus .

diburning
12-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Could you reccomend any good PDF reader plugins for Firefox? I tried Foxit but I have to download the pdf files to cache before I can open, which is not feasable when I look at online textbooks (which have hundreds of pages on a pdf file)

beth
12-03-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't use FireFox anymore so I have stopped trying out new extensions and plugins unless they are specifically supported in SeaMonkey. They offer an Acrobat Reader plugin but it's by Adobe and just seems to be Acrobat Reader 8. This extension

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636

may do something useful, offers options and works with Foxit. Can't recommend it but sounds like it may be worth trying.

Why not use a download manager to download the whole PDF textbook and read offline?

Skiboy
12-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Just print it and put it in a file, sometimes low tech is the way to go. I just looked at the snails I got from you back when you had 76 feedbacks and I had 9.

beth
12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
There is a reason I would prefer to keep it in a digital format, whatever form it may be. Not to save a tree either. A "this day in history" thing inspired my initial post.

Jackster
12-09-2007, 04:40 PM
I always delete auction photos from the server I use. Why do you say? Well server space is valuable to me
especially when I only have 20 Mb to work with. There is no real motive in deleting my photos other than to save
space on the server, but I do think archiving auctions so far back is kind of dumb. What if the person who buys a
piece of driftwood from me wants to make a small profit from reselling it? The potential buyer could look back and
see how much this person paid for the item, which in my opinion, is nobody else's concern. This is another reason
why I prefer to make side deals on the fish I purchase rather than buy them via an auction so that all the world can see
exactly what I paid for some fish I may wish to resell. I guess in my case, the archived information actually makes me
very reluctant to purchase live fish from auctions, so in essence, it hurts the sellers who are not willing to make side
deals at least if I am the buyer. I'm just saying simply mind your own business if that makes any sense? Let sellers
do what they want and buyers do the same and we can all live happily ever after.

MADMIKE
12-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Something I do sometime is use a program called Gadwin PrintScreen
Now this is not text but does keep a picture of the whole screen you have up.To do a whole layout you would need two pictures.It keep pictures in bmp[about 1.5 meg,but you can change it to jpg[84k] and make it smaller.

storm36
12-20-2007, 11:46 PM
there is a website, www.openoffice.org that has a free office suite, which is as inexpensive as you can get. For anyone who needs a program that has Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Database, Draw/Paint and Presentation capabilties, here is a bundled program that is a multiplatform and multilingual office suite and free to download. current version is 2.3.1 it is also an open source project and compatible with all other major office suites.

I have used it to make pdf catalogs and flyers and its very simple and easy to use.