PDA

View Full Version : Product Review Forum?

SassyRatDog
01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
For those that have been in fish for years, this probably isn't important, but there are those like me that may appreciate an area that discusses various products used for the hobby. Like heaters, filters, food, etc. I would love to skip the BS and go straight to what works and skip the trial and error part. I live too far from any decent LFS to make an emergency return trip because of product failure. Not to mention, wasting a perfectly great setup with the wrong equipment. For example, there was a time I thought UGF were the BOMB. :confused: I have found that I now HATE THEM. Besides trapping little fry under them, they don't work with rock rearranging cichlids, nor do they keep things as clear and clean as HOB filters or canisters. I just am not impressed...could have saved a pile of money I could have spent on better stuff along the way.

I have relied on online reviews of different products before making a major purchase, the last being a canister filter for the 125g. Of course, nothing is perfect, but if a person knows ahead of time that there may be some "issues", one can decide if that is an "issue" worth dealing with or not.

I've noticed a sprinkling of reviews and questions on stuff thru out the board, why not put it in one forum, easy to find?

Skiboy
01-25-2008, 02:11 PM
good idea, I second the motion

lotsoffish
01-25-2008, 02:59 PM
What's with the horse?

Skiboy
01-25-2008, 03:12 PM
I have no idea. I found it in my computer. That could be Lucky, my daughters "other" horse, or it could be her riding Buddy's, I know it's not Miles, so like I said, I got no idea. It was sized 100X100 so I figured God put it there to make an appearance as an avatar. Who am I to ignore a decree from God?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_19.gif

Fishhawk
01-25-2008, 03:31 PM
SassyRatDog said....."I've noticed a sprinkling of reviews and questions on stuff thru out the board, why not put it in one forum, easy to find?"

Great Idea !!!

douglas
01-25-2008, 04:56 PM
terrible idea

look here http://www.aquarank.com/

oneSockShort
01-25-2008, 05:14 PM
doug... are you saying that on the webpage link you provided that there is
already a site like that? maybe i didn't look close enough

sounds like a good idea to me...
of course, i also happen to like UG filters
and i also thought that ski's horse avatar was the one he rode in on...

douglas
01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
merely pointing out the great number of fish sites already freely available on the Internet.

sassyratdog if I understand correctly proposes a whole new category be added to Aquaboards which as far as I'm concerned already has to many categories.

SassyRatDog
01-25-2008, 08:53 PM
I simply meant another category, not an entire new site. I guess it really don't matter, except I don't care to have to sort thru 5 pages of topics, or read thru rants, etc just to find what I am looking for. Try doing a search for canister filter, even by brand, it's likely to come up on many different threads, especially the longer this board is up and running. :detective:

I value the opinions of members who have tried things that I am thinking of getting. I could have saved some $$$ and bought something else that may have worked better for my situation.

NO offense on UGF! I just don't like them for the way I like to decorate, and as far as my routine for cleaning. This is just me. Perhaps they would work better for me, but to be honest, finding the carbon inserts are hit or miss at any of the stores around me. I like to be able to customize my filter media depending on tank, fish bio-load, and decor. :look:

It may very well be a dumb idea, I can just go back to searching the web instead.

lotsoffish
01-25-2008, 09:03 PM
(laughing) Don't let Douglas pee you off, he's nuts just ignore him. Here is how things get done around here. Mark the owner of the site will get suggestions for about 6 months and absolutly nothing changes around here. Then when you least expect it he will change all this crap around and add new things, close other stuff and everybody then complains for a week about the changes and the whole cycle starts all over again. :gickle:

SassyRatDog
01-25-2008, 09:34 PM
:look: Really, I'm not peed off. :whistle: I run an adult daycare aka BAR. If I had a short temper, I would have broke a few pool cues over a head or two at least once a day some days. Alas, not much ruffles my feathers very easily, including any forum, chat board, etc. Life is too short and there isn't anything that a couple "White Russians" can't smooth over. :tongue:

Thanks for the input! I hate wasting my time and money of crap that doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

douglas
01-25-2008, 10:29 PM
hey ratdog dont know why I didnt think of this earlier:

http://rmc-aquatic.com/Purgatory-Forums/

while the membership is small, the collective knowledge is tremendous

(start edit)oh yeah Lotsoffish claims I'm nuts and he's right.
here it is 200am in the morning, the outside temperature is 54 degrees and a wind out of the Southeast at 3mph.
gotta be nuts

yeahbut1
01-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Hey Doug,

The biggest problem with RMCs forums beside the limited traffic is

...as far as I'm concerned RMC is nutz!
The McGyver of the fish world don't use "products"
Not only that!
His solution is empty da tank reseal drill holes stuff like that.
When I want to get some good kinda elmers glue
and just glue a piece of plastic on the outside where it leaks!

Drill Holes!?!
Instead of a sump, doesn't anyone just sell a 55 gallon canister filter?
..not for 55 gallon tanks but 55 gallons deep so that every gallon
of the 150 Oscar Tank gets run through the media in less than an hour!...

I would be surprised to find anyone with a multiple tank set up
that even owns a canister filter, more or less a HOB unless they are left overs.
They have drilled tanks, sponge filters, RO Water and crank the heat in the whole room.

So I doubt if if they even keep up with new products...

bozzle
01-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeahbut typed: I would be surprised to find anyone with a multiple tank set up
that even owns a canister filter, more or less a HOB unless they are left overs.
They have drilled tanks, sponge filters, RO Water and crank the heat in the whole room.
Ya know, that's a good point :thinking: It seems weird that the more you get into this hobby, the more likely you are to get back to basics and simplify. Even I have been switching over from AquaClears, which I have sworn by for years, to big ole' sponge filters. Seems like going retro or something but they keep the tank nice and healthy and are a lot easier to maintain.

yeahbut1
01-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Yeahbut typed: I would be surprised to find anyone with a multiple tank set up
Ya know, that's a good point :thinking: It seems weird that the more you get into this hobby, the more likely you are to get back to basics and simplify. Even I have been switching over from AquaClears, which I have sworn by for years, to big ole' sponge filters. Seems like going retro or something but they keep the tank nice and healthy and are a lot easier to maintain.
Yeahbut,

There are guys like me who ain't sophisticated enough to know 20 inch
Not-So-Common Plecos ain't the coolest thing since Hustler Magazine!
And how many Cichlid Purest still have Oscars... forgitaboutit

For us regular guys,
and for those new to the hobby
...who first are interested keeping stuff alive before getting a
degree in trout stamping while remodeling the house due to MTS
(Multiple Tank Syndrome) or I gonna build a BIG TANK!...

A product review from other than Company selling the product
helps cut through all the crap. And make the search a short trip!

EXAMPLE:

When I first stated shopping for the more expensive Power Filters
I bought the most expensive.
In fact I bought two

Marineland Emperor Bio-Wheel 400 Power Filter
$46.99

Then I bought the second best
(second most expensive)

Aquaclear 110 Power Filter
As you can see,
now the difference in price has gone the other way.

Aquaclears are the BEST! The ONLY Power Filter I'll buy now.

Baylees Fishees carries these and despite his out da garage operation..
WHICH i HAVE FOUND TRANSLATES INTO EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE..
His prices are extremely competitive compared to Big Al's Mega International Operation.

bozzle
01-26-2008, 03:47 PM
yeah, I guess oscars and big poop machine plecos wouldn't work real well with sponge filters :gickle: And you're right about the AquaClears too - really nice filters.

UNCLERICK666
01-26-2008, 03:59 PM
SOMEONE HAD SUGGESTED THAT UGF'S SHOULD BE RUN IN REVERSE I.E.
THE RETURN FROM YOUR CANISTER SHOULD FORCE WATER DOWN THE UPLIFT TUBE WHICH IN TURN
WOULD FORCE WATER AND FISH POOP, OLD FOOD, ETC., UP THROUGH THR GRAVEL AND INTO THE WATER COLUMN WHERE THE FILTER CAN GET IT......MADE A LOT OS SENCE :cool:

SassyRatDog
01-26-2008, 09:56 PM
SOMEONE HAD SUGGESTED THAT UGF'S SHOULD BE RUN IN REVERSE I.E.
THE RETURN FROM YOUR CANISTER SHOULD FORCE WATER DOWN THE UPLIFT TUBE WHICH IN TURN
WOULD FORCE WATER AND FISH POOP, OLD FOOD, ETC., UP THROUGH THR GRAVEL AND INTO THE WATER COLUMN WHERE THE FILTER CAN GET IT......MADE A LOT OS SENCE :cool:
:barf: My first thought was EWWW! Then, I realized that this may have to be done BEFORE the fish fill the gravel with uneaten poo and food. :thinking: So are there anyone willing to try it? :snicker: My canisters are on tanks that don't have UGF. Plus they are way too huge to put on a tank that I do have UGF's for.

Thanks to all that see my point. I won't be setting up a dedicated fishroom in the near future. My tanks are all over my house, so having a centralized system isn't an option. For me, this is still a hobby, with my main goal to keep every fish I get alive until it's dies of old age. That is a vast improvement over my past fishkeeping experiences. :thumbsup:

Linda

bass24
01-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Uncle/Sassy Rat
There has been a unit Penguin Powerhead 660R that can be used for UGF's. It will deliver 170GPH to the plastic tube to force water down. I tried the method. Had 2 units on a 20 gal long. One on each tube. Gravel was about 2 inches. While the idea is great.. The surface area of the tank bottom will not allow strong enough water movement up through gravel to move food or fish waste from the gravel. After about a 2 week period the gravel still had to be cleaned and it was loaded. The tank had a 3 African Aulonocara Peacocks (4" each) and a small african catfish.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/bass24/P11518.jpg

SassyRatDog
01-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Bass! I appreciate your input, and saving me the bother of ripping down a tank to give it a try...though my 11yr old son thought he would like to do it anyway. :confused: JUST BECAUSE he NEEDS to know if it would work or not. LOL! His favorite show is Mythbusters...go figure. His Science Fair project is fish related, and he's my biggest supporter and helper in the fish dept.

Time for me to give the 125g a good gravel vac. That darn huge pleco I have is a poop machine! The bio-load is a bit much, but I can't seem to be able to unload any of my cichlids. Everyone wants swordtails, mollies, guppies and angels around my neck of the woods. :neutral: They don't "understand" you cannot put African cichlid with any other species, though our hard water is perfect for them to flourish.

Skiboy
01-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I have no idea. I found it in my computer. That could be Lucky, my daughters "other" horse, or it could be her riding Buddy's, I know it's not Miles, so like I said, I got no idea. It was sized 100X100 so I figured God put it there to make an appearance as an avatar. Who am I to ignore a decreee from god?
Important update: That horse is a photo from a catalog!! See the blanket? That's what I got my daughter for Christmas. She sent the photo with the link and I must have downloaded it when I opened it. So much for Divine intervention. The next horse you see will be Miles, my daughters English trained quarter horse. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree so don't tell me that you can't use a quarter horse for that!!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Skiboy-Photo/kimandmiles2.jpg

Here is the crew:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Skiboy-Photo/th_Kimandmiles.jpg (http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/Skiboy-Photo/?action=view&current=1171742513.pbw)

Click on Miles nose!!

Sorry for the hijack!!