PDA

View Full Version : How about removing the "edit" feature?

marli
02-28-2008, 06:43 AM
Hiya Mark!

Here's a suggestion that a few of us have pondered: how about a 'no edit' board? Yes folks make errors in spelling, but so what? There is a PREVIEW button, so folks could use that to double check their post BEFORE posting.

Here's why we think it's a good idea:
Along comes Little Mary Sunshine and she's on a tear. She posts the most vile and ridiculous things.
Here come the rest of us and we report the post. Or answer her. Or whatever.
Back comes Little Mary Sunshine and she now EDITS her post.
You come and look at said post and wonder what the heck our problem is, why would we report Little Mary Sunshine? All she did was say howdy!
Not only that, but now we all look like big horrible meanies just trouncing on poor Little Mary Sunshine. At best we look like we've collectively lost our minds, at worse we are open for a lawsuit. (kidding about the lawsuit...I think)

Just a thought. We all know folks spell crappy, noone cares. Not even me, the English major...right fishboi?

Smiles, marli

ijedic
02-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Having been a member to boards that are "no-edit", I've noticed that people tend to think about what they type prior to hitting the post button. There's none of that "baiting" type crap because the posters know that they can't go back and hide what they originally typed. Might save you a lot of headaches Mark, what say ye?

Thank You Marli for great suggestion, if this were a democracy, it would most definitely have my vote!

lotsoffish
02-28-2008, 08:05 AM
I vote NO.

Most of my posts don't make sense. I like to go back and edit them later so at least half of them sound somewhat intelligent. :confused:

SassyRatDog
02-28-2008, 08:13 AM
:nod: I second Marli's suggestion. I kind of thought I should have copy/pasted some stuff because I was onboard when things hit fan with little Miss Mary Sunshine. Being able to EDIT, does allow peeps to rip into someone then go back in a few minutes and delete the entire post, or reword it to change the perspective of the post. I guess, like some boards I used to hang on, once it's out there...it's OUT THERE and it can't be taken back without the OP making some sort of amends, ie. public apology, or whatever, I think you get my point.

We all have our opinions, and voicing those opinions is fine, but if it gets set in stone, locked in a post that can't be edited by the OP, well, maybe some stuff would never get said in public. There are times I start typing something opinionated, then erase it all because I don't want to appear like a troll idiot .

:king: Meet Princess Windy, :1st: in line to the throne of Queen LONGA$$POST. Klaus, I am gonna stop the NOVEL now. :type:

Linda

(Previewed Once for spelling...not perfect and don't care, Grammar/Spelling weren't my subjects)

AmazonMoosey
02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
If I had a vote, I would yes, delete edit function. I agree it could make others stop and think before posting if they had to stand behind their words.

As far as editing, there is a simple trick you can do. Type it in an email to yourself first or in a word document. They have great spell checkers. Not only does this allow you to edit, it may also give time to pause and think about what it is you are actually saying (or trying to say).

In a perfect world, the edit feature would be great. We would be able to edit our typos, our errant pic posts.This for some reason, isn't a perfect world.

I know these suggestions have been given to Mark before via suggestion by email by some; at that time his answer was no because at that time he felt a person should be able to have a change of heart on what they wrote.

I don't see it being used though to have a change of heart in the postings. I don't think it would hurt any of us to have to stand behind what we write. If the post is really vile, and there is a change of heart, it can be deleted by the composer or by the Admin.

That's my opinion; you don't have to agree.

bass24
02-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Great idea Marli. I'm for it. Dog knows that I kan't spel a mad.

bozzle
02-28-2008, 09:12 AM
I kinda hope we keep the Edit option. I use it more to clarify some point I was trying to make or add information without having to start a second post. One other option is to Quote L.M.S.'s offensive post when you see it - that locks it in for posterity so that EVERYone can enjoy it in it's entirety :laugh: You really don't even need to add any comment of your own. Unfortunately, this might have a tendency to clog up some threads with many, many, double and triple copies of L.M.S.'s drivel, and, some L.M.S.'s will consider this a sign of adoration. :barf:

Edited, just because I can :gickle:

KC
02-28-2008, 09:45 AM
I like edit. I think if someone makes an unacceptable post that needs reporting, the first thing to do is to quote that post so that if they edit, you have preserved it, and their post says "edited on..." so they cant deny editing. That is what we have always done on the other boards I am on. I want edit so I can go back and add pictures w/o starting a new post, or, like Pete said, to clarify something. I make a conscious effort to not say anything on a message board that I would be ashamed of....so if edit disappears it wont really bother me, I just like the choice.

KC

ijedic
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I kinda hope we keep the Edit option. I use it more to clarify some point I was trying to make or add information without having to start a second post. One other option is to Quote L.M.S.'s offensive post when you see it - that locks it in for posterity so that EVERYone can enjoy it in it's entirety :laugh: You really don't even need to add any comment of your own. Unfortunately, this might have a tendency to clog up some threads with many, many, double and triple copies of L.M.S.'s drivel, and, some L.M.S.'s will consider this a sign of adoration. :barf:

You have a good point Bozzle with the quoting, but there is a "quirk" of sorts in quoting, as we found out in the early days of this new forum. Seems anyone that can type a bracket, quote = name of anyone and another bracket, then a closing tag can make up quotes that really aren't true quotes. Then there's the possibility of just posting a quote could be a violation of rule #6.

I understand that the majority do not use the edit feature to cause problems, but there are people who do abuse it, as we have all witnessed at one time or another.

In addition to Moosey's wonderful idea about typing it in email or using a word processor, if you add a Google task bar to your browser, you get a free spell checker right on the browser. I got mine when I signed up for Gmail. (btw I've got 40something invites left if anyone would like a Gmail account.)

fishboy23
02-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Oh, noooo, marli never says anything about typos... :wink:

I dunno though...I like the edit function, like pete it helps me clarify. However, if the edit made an entire subset to the original post...like another section below what was originally written. Kind of like quoting, then posting below.
For example:

This is my original post
Edit: this is where I clarify.

This way, the original post is still intact, and I can still clarify. Although, I will freely admit I dont know squat about computers and how feasible this is.
As for typos? In most cases, I undermeant what you stood. :confused:

Skiboy
02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I bet Beth will chime in now with the right answer!!

beth
02-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I vote YES, love to see no-edit. As mentioned, anything can be altered during quoting. That's what I liked the most about the old board, you couldn't do that. So a little thought has to go into what you write... Use the preview. IESpell is another choice for spelling checking in IE, http://www.iespell.com/ . FireFox et al come with spell check. And who really cares if spelling, punctuation and grammar are perfect anyways?

IF editing was being used for only clarifying things or correcting mistakes NO ONE would be asking for it to be removed. But foul stuff has been being written knowing full well it can then sweetened to remove the stink after a an hour and after a bunch of people read it.

lotsoffish
02-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I bet Beth will chime in now with the wrong answer!!
How did you know that? :gickle:

lotsoffish
02-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Come on you guys, stop trying to give away options for Christ sake. I vote we get MORE options not less.

Geez, it took The Forum posters local number 23 many years of tough negotiations to get these options now you folks want to give them all back to "the man"? Forget it. :giveup:

marli
02-28-2008, 12:04 PM
'The Forum posters local number 23'? Are you serious? That's funny stuff, heh!

Oh and just LOOKIE at the page views!! Wheeeeeeeeeee! Hehhehheh.

I still say it should go. No one minds folks typing up a reply to their own post. Heck, you want to clarify, quote yourself then clarify it. Anyway, if LMS wouldn't abuse the thing I wouldn't want it gone.

And by the way boi, Civil LIKES it when I help her spell stuff! She TOLD me so, so THERE. Neh. (kidding boi, truly)

Smiles, marli

Swampy
02-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Goober
02-28-2008, 04:10 PM
The way I see it , a troublemaker who constantly edits posts has zero credibility .

So I like the edit feature .

If you need spellcheck you can download the Google Toolbar .

bozzle
02-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Or, Mark can ban the offending L.M.S, and he did, again. :dance::bow::yeah:

UNCLERICK666
02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
:angel: IS THIS WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT?
Here's his original post:

Pages: 1
Index
Feedback
I WILL NEVER - NEVER - NEVER AGAIN BUY FROM THIS SELLER!!!!!
#1 Yesterday 17:30:33
th3rd_leg

IP: 64.12.116.74
AquaBid : Auctions FB
E-mail PM Website
I WILL NEVER - NEVER - NEVER AGAIN BUY FROM THIS SELLER!!!!!
BEFORE I BLOW MY TOP

I DECIDED TO POST THIS TO TRY TO CALM MYSLEF DOWN BY POSTING HERE

HERE IS THE LOW DOWN

ITEM WAS PURCHASED ON ON 1/30TH - BUY IT NOW

FEEEDBACK FOR SELLER WAS POSTED ON FEB 8TH - AFTER AN OVER A WEEK WAIT FOR ARRIVAL OF ITEM:

Th3rd_leg
Praise:My Snails Tthank You Shannon - AAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++

SELLER FINALLY EMAILS ME BACK TODAY - 2/24 - AFTER MAYBE EIGHT EMAILS ASKING FOR FEEDBACK TO TELL ME THAT:

Subj: Re: Question regarding AquaBid.com Auction1204877564
Date: 2/24/2008 10:26:04 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: oneth3rdleg@aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

I do the feedbacks about once a month. I will get to it in a couple of days.

ONCE A MONTH!!!!

WHAT IS GOOD KARMA ABOUT THAT

I POSTED FEEDBACK FOR THIS SELLER ON FEB 8TH - THAT WAS 16 DAYS AGO!!!

I EVEN HEARD FROM ANOTHER BUYER THAT THE SELLER HAD BEEN IN A AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT - SO I DECIDED TO ALLOW SOME TIME

BUT WHEN I SAW THREE NEW AUCTIONS ON AQUABID FROM THIS SELLER

1204877564 Karma Farm's World Famous Snail Conditioning Milk Karmafarm 3/07 02:12 7.50
1204877573 Karma Farm's World Famous Snail Conditioning Milk Karmafarm 3/07 02:12 7.50
1204877582 Karma Farm's World Famous Snail Conditioning Milk Karmafarm 3/07 02:13 7.50

I REALIZED THAT THE SELLER HAD ENOUGH TIME TO POST NEW AUCTIONS. . . . BUT NOT ENOUGH TIME TO POST FEEDBACK FOR A BUYER THAT HAD PAID INSTANTLY AND POSTED FEEDBACK FOR THEM THE VERY SAME DAY THEIR ITEM ARRIVED

I KNOW I AM A BIT CRAZED ABOUT FEEDBACK - BUT COME ON - IF A BUYERS TAKES THE TIME TO POST FOR YOU SELLERS - DO THE SAME FOR THEM - IT IS ONLY THE RIGHT THING TO DO

WE ARE ALL BUSY

BUT YOU KNOW WHAT ?

IF THE WORD GETS OUT THAT YOUR PRACTICES ARE SO ONE-SIDED - MAYBE YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BEING SO BUSY - WHEN NOTHING OF YOURS SELLS

OK, ALL YOU PEOPLE ON THE FORUM TELL ME HOW I AM SO WRONG

LUIS

Evil Gemini Dancer

NOW THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT THERE! :bump:
YOU ARE WHAT YOU TYPE! :type:

ALL THE BEST.....UNCLE :detective:

oneSockShort
02-28-2008, 09:32 PM
i gotta tell ya i like the edit feature,
i guess pete already said something like this but it does help reduce the DOH! factor...

and people who are really obnoxious don't think there is anything wrong with the junk that they spew
so there is probably minimal danger of them removing their posts to make themselves look better
because they don't think anything they write is wrong

so... off topic maybe, but um... how long is this peace and quiet going to last?

Mark
02-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Or I could delete the AquaBid.com forums, and we could just talk about aquarium fish.

Katt66
02-29-2008, 05:40 AM
I personally don't like boards that have the EDIT feature disabled. Even if I proofread my posts more often than not I'll think of something else or decide to reword some things five minutes after I type. Then it's too late. When you do edit that little notation is at the bottom stating you edited the post and what time, etc. So if you're dealing with a Troll you've got proof that what's written now is maybe not what was there yesterday. All but one of the message boards I belong to have the EDIT feature. But they do have a time limit on it. Some it's half an hour and the EDIT button disappears. Some it's 24hrs or whatever. That's a way to let people who just want to fix something or add more pics be able to do it. But the Trolls are left with whatever they wrote after a certain amount of time.

marli
02-29-2008, 06:51 AM
Or I could delete the AquaBid.com forums, and we could just talk about aquarium fish.
Yep, you could. But that sounds like an 'it's my ball, I'm taking it and going home' response; not something I expected from you.

This part of the forum is to make suggestions and comments about AquaBid and the forums, right? So that's what I did. It's only a suggestion and it got folks adding their input.

Sorry if you are having a bad day.

Smiles, marli

RMC
02-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Now this is where a "Shout Box" could come in handy. :king:

lotsoffish
02-29-2008, 07:14 AM
How do you know he's having a bad day?

Can't Mark be a wise guy just like everyone else around here? :gickle:

marli
02-29-2008, 07:47 AM
How do you know he's having a bad day?

Can't Mark be a wise guy just like everyone else around here? :gickle:
I don't know. That's why I wrote: Sorry IF you are having a bad day.

Wise guy.

Smiles, marli

bass24
02-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Isn't this the spot for offering up Suggestions. Why would you close down the Forum for simply doing what this section suggests?
I would think just a no reply would be easier.

MADMIKE
02-29-2008, 05:18 PM
" Mark wrote:

Or I could delete the AquaBid.com forums, and we could just talk about aquarium fish."
I found it funny.Think about it,if he deleted the forum how could you talk fish.

bass24
02-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Mike,
In my mind I think the AquaBid.com forums consists of 4 sections
Cafe
Feedback
Suggestions
SNE
We would still have the upper section of AquaBoards.com to talk fish.

MADMIKE
02-29-2008, 05:43 PM
I can not help it,it just sounds funny to me.Just Mark being one of us with the wise cracks.
I do see your point

GenGen
02-29-2008, 08:17 PM

I like the edit button for the same reason not for correcting my spelling- if ppl dont like my typoes dont read it.

i edit to add more comments thoughts etc yadda..

if mark wants to delete aquabid.com forums um might speed it up a bit lol j/k

serioiusly- this site is the slowest one i go to and frankly i dont want it to be slooooooooow :D

Mark
03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
http://www.aquaboards.com/viewtopic.php?id=1473

A good example of why a edit button is needed. If someone does not read the entire message, a user can be discredited. The original poster should edit their first message to include that they were paid.

yeahbut1
03-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I think when I first found the forums 5 or 6 years ago,
it listed the time and date of each edit.

If this was in place now my edits would be longer than my posts!

I AM Like Detective Monk :crazy:~:laugh:
Diagnosed as having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Even though the medication helps a great deal,
it's still a struggle NOT to put my left shoe back down
if I pick it up first
so I can pick up the right shoe which should be put on first...

I have my way how things should be done.
I can spend daze arranging how to do a 30 minute task.

When I first got into Aquascaping, the fish finally started biting me
cause of two hour at the time regiment of constantly rearranging da tank!

:<>:<>:<>:

So,
If anyone reads my posts and finds one that hasn't been edited
please let me know so I can go back and fix it!

Since the reason as I understand it is to allow negativity to stand...
Believe me I understand

The difference is my exaggerated need to have control of my posts
Where this need appears to be an exaggerated attempted to control others.

Meanwhile,
This post will be edited as I do a search for a link on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and...

What are some common obsessions?
The following are some common obsessions:
Fear of dirt or germs
Disgust with bodily waste or fluids
*Concern with order, symmetry (balance) and exactness
*Worry that a task has been done poorly, even when the person knows this is not true
Fear of thinking evil or sinful thoughts
*Thinking about certain sounds, images, words or numbers all the time
Need for constant reassurance
*Fear of harming a family member or friend

What are some common compulsions?
The following are some common compulsions:
Cleaning and grooming, such as washing hands, showering or brushing teeth over and over again
Checking drawers, door locks and appliances to be sure they are shut, locked or turned off
Repeating, such as going in and out of a door, sitting down and getting up from a chair, or touching certain objects several times
*Ordering and arranging items in certain ways
*Counting over and over to a certain number
Saving newspapers, mail or containers when they are no longer needed
Seeking constant reassurance and approval

* The underlined ones are the biggest pain in da :censor: cause they can render me completely helpless.
The italic ones just annoying as hell being just a waste of time and mind

oneSockShort
03-01-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.aquaboards.com/viewtopic.php?id=1473

A good example of why a edit button is needed. If someone does not read the entire message, a user can be discredited. The original poster should edit their first message to include that they were paid.
makes sense to edit the original complaint...
could leave the original post intact and maybe add something like "issue resolved, see post #23"

is there a way to edit the title of a post?

lotsoffish
03-01-2008, 03:39 PM
I think when I first found the forums 5 or 6 years ago,
it listed the time and date of each edit.

If this was in place now my edits would be longer than my posts!

I AM Like Detective Monk :crazy:~:laugh:
Diagnosed as having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Even though the medication helps a great deal,
it's still a struggle NOT to put my left shoe back down
if I pick it up first
so I can pick up the right shoe which should be put on first...

I have my way how things should be done.
I can spend daze arranging how to do a 30 minute task.

When I first got into Aquascaping, the fish finally started biting me
cause of two hour at the time regiment of constantly rearranging da tank!

:<>:<>:<>:

So,
If anyone reads my posts and finds one that hasn't been edited
please let me know so I can go back and fix it!

Since the reason as I understand it is to allow negativity to stand...
Believe me I understand

The difference is my exaggerated need to have control of my posts
Where this need appears to be an exaggerated attempted to control others.

Meanwhile,
This post will be edited as I do a search for a link on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and...

What are some common obsessions?
The following are some common obsessions:
Fear of dirt or germs
Disgust with bodily waste or fluids
*Concern with order, symmetry (balance) and exactness
*Worry that a task has been done poorly, even when the person knows this is not true
Fear of thinking evil or sinful thoughts
*Thinking about certain sounds, images, words or numbers all the time
Need for constant reassurance
*Fear of harming a family member or friend

What are some common compulsions?
The following are some common compulsions:
Cleaning and grooming, such as washing hands, showering or brushing teeth over and over again
Checking drawers, door locks and appliances to be sure they are shut, locked or turned off
Repeating, such as going in and out of a door, sitting down and getting up from a chair, or touching certain objects several times
*Ordering and arranging items in certain ways
*Counting over and over to a certain number
Saving newspapers, mail or containers when they are no longer needed
Seeking constant reassurance and approval

* The underlined ones are the biggest pain in da :censor: cause they can render me completely helpless.
The italic ones just annoying as hell being just a waste of time and mind

I think editing one's posts is a compulsion. Cut it out would ya? :gickle:

yeahbut1
03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I can't stop Pete! I'm out of control!!
That's why I'm now posting from over here at da Purgatory forums.

doctorgori
03-01-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm one of those who think it and then say it...the folks who hold back their words eventually "act" on their thoughts anyway (if you think one way and act another you are insane or phoney),

...so I say get rid of the edit feature...I've used it for typos and grammatical errors, et, but if your reply is "hotheaded" so be it....
We always have the option to "man up" and act humble later, or change our minds....