PDA

View Full Version : Euro Currency Auctions

fishboy23
03-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi Mark,
Is there any way we can get a more obvious sign that an auction is in Euro currency? A number of european sellers in the killie eggs section have started listing their auctions in Euros, and you only know when you go in and read all the way through the description, which is occasionally in broken english. It would be nice to have some obvious sign like you have for the worldwide shipping and pic, etc, after the auction title on the main page.
Hope this is possible--it would be very nice and make things easier.
Thanks!

fishboy23
03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
No opinions on this? After looking at auctions today, I cant help but think there are some sellers that are taking advantage of (ignorant) bidders. For example: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwkillifishe&1205131102
Note the seller's location and that he's auctioning in Euros...That's not the currency in Brazil! To me, this looks like a way of trying to take advantage of someone who's merely looking at the fish and the price.
Any thoughts?

bozzle
03-04-2008, 09:33 AM
I can't really see a problem with the seller you linked to. US dollars are not the currency of Brazil either. He has excellent feedback from some buyer names I recognize. As long as a seller is up front about the currency they expect to be paid in, somewhere in the body of the auction, I don't think they've done anything wrong.

fishboy23
03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
I see what you're saying, and I'm not targeting this seller at all. The auction was merely an example. But if you notice they're from Brazil, do you really expect the auction to be in Euros? I read the descriptions on auctions I'm considering very thoroughly multiple times, but not everyone bids like I do. Perhaps the sellers should then be required to do as the "sell item" form lists, and put all amounts in US Dollars.
Either way, I think that category is quite confusing with all the mixed currencies that are not marked anywhere but in the item description. It would be nice to have an obvious clarification.

I apologize that my earlier post may have sounded a bit harsh. It was not intended to be, but I think one could imagine the point I'm trying to make. Using a currency worth more than dollars when the auctions are marked as dollars could (in theory) be a way to get a few people to think they're paying far less than they are, particularly with the current exchange rate.

RMC
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Actually, it's not uncommon at all for a seller in Brazil to use Euros. Many of the exporters there are owned and operated by European companies and thus Euros would be the currency of choice. Now if they were asking for Tulips or Clams I might become suspicious. :king:

fishboy23
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I did not know that. I still think that the seller I mentioned is more of a hobbyist, but that makes a lot of sense. So in that case, I apologize for my confusion, and thanks for the clarification.
I guess...see the first post in this thread then :wink:
It'd still be kinda nice...

lotsoffish
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
He already took care of it nutcase.

marli
03-04-2008, 12:06 PM
He already took care of it nutcase.
How?

fishboy23
03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I think Mark added the "USD only" after each of the price listing boxes on the "Sell Item" page (right, Pete?).
If so, THANKS MARK :bigthumbsup:

lotsoffish
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Yep, that Marks on the ball ain't he? :gickle:

Mark
03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Well you would think the dollar sign in front of all the currency would have done it.

diburning
03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, the dollar sign is pretty generic.

Mark
03-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Dollar Sign does not mean Euros. Very few countries use it.