PDA

View Full Version : New Guppy Hobbyist

rurouni_master
07-13-2008, 10:53 PM
hello everyone,

i'm new to this... i am starting out on trying to find some info on guppies... more specifically i am trying to find market data of the demand for guppies in the US. does anyone know where i could find such data (US market demand for guppies)? i would like to get a better understanding of this market in the US before i pursue this any further

thank you so very much for ur time in reading my post and any info or help u can offer. i look forward to engaging this hobby with all my heart

rurouni_master

reticulata
07-13-2008, 11:19 PM
I was breeding guppys (for over 30 years) with the intent on supplementing my income when and if I ever retire. Two years ago I "discovered" egg layers, mainly plecos, corys, angels and apistos and now I have no guppys. Several reasons, not enough room for all the tanks I needed, too much time involved but mainly due to the fact that the local fish store owners only wanted to pay peanuts for guppys. I spent several years involved with the International Fancy Guppy Association and took pride in the fish that I bred, raised and attempted to sell. I sold no junk, only top quality stock. The story I always got was the retail buyer didn't give a rip that I as a breeder spent extra time and care in producing a top quality fish and would pay the same for a junk fish or a perfect fish as long as it was colorful and pretty, so the store owner paid the same regardless of the quality maybe $.50 per fish. For me, too much work for $.50 per fish which came out to $15. per tank of 30 fish cared for, for four months minimum. To add insult to injury the wholesellers only wanted to pay $.25 per fish and they thought they would be doing me a big favor by making one trip to their facility once a month rather than driving to 20-30 stores around town and that is if the LFS would even buy them. And all this time, all they did was bitch about how the guppys from Asia and Florida were diseased and looked like crap. Strange mind set in this business. Hope this helps, I find it quite disheartening but still plan to give it one more shot. :wall:

Whoops, sorry about the "b" word.

fishguy_1955
07-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Guppies in the US are not a cash crop. Almost no quality tropical fish is. As reticulata stated, the space and overall costs for breeding this fish that the general public does not value makes it completely untenable economically. I know Stan Shubel and he has never quit his day job!

If you love breeding guppies for the sake of it then you might make enough in places like here to cover your costs and pay half the electric bill if you are REAL good. Otherwise forget it. Nobody gets rich or even makes a fair living breeding fish because it costs a bundle to do well and as soon as you get good at it you've sold your fish to a bunch of breeders who have the exact same ideal and will immediately go into competition with you. That is also why you have to beware of IFGA champions who tout in their ad that the trio you are getting is of the same stock that won the class the previous four years. Surely it will be of the same stock but at the cull end of it that you will have to work back up. They are not going to hand you anything.

Bettas go for a good single price (online) and there is now I believe a market for good fish bred of imported stock. But they again are very labor intensive and there are many already in place doing it.

Invertabrates such as shrimp, crayfish, and always snails are always a reliable sell with fewer requirements than their backboned cousins. You can combine them to good use in your fish tanks.

If you are in an area where there are many LFS (Local Fish Stores) your best bet is probably Cory's and Angels, the popular retail species of which will spawn reliably and in quantity. There is an insatiable demand among the non-fishpeople public for these two, as they love taking them home and killing them. Then they come back for more.

It is a thing you have to just love doing and it can help you get by, but few make it just selling fish.

Regards
Paul P.

Goober
07-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Good luck making money on Angels .
Do it for the enjoyment like I do .

fishguy_1955
07-14-2008, 12:27 AM
PS

I just reviewed your original post and when you say "before you pursue this any further" are you saying that you currently do not breed guppies but will if the market demographics (which surely do not exist) support such an endeavor you will take up the breeding of guppies? It ain't that easy buddy!

Regards
Paul P.

rurouni_master
07-14-2008, 12:43 AM
what if i import quality guppies in bulks... do ppl tend to want to purchase those? instead of breeding, just import them, good ones...

fishguy_1955
07-14-2008, 01:07 AM
You cannot be Himura Kenshin in this business. If you wish to import you must go through the agents they already have. By the time you get the fish, if you do have enough knowledge and space to recondition them, the profit will all be stripped off. Sounds to me like you know little about guppies and are just looking for a way to make a quick buck.

P.

reticulata
07-14-2008, 02:37 AM
The key words "import quality guppies in bulk". Well, good luck with that one partner, every LFS and wholesaler in the US attempts to do that on a weekly basis and has for years.

marli
07-14-2008, 08:19 AM
You cannot be Himura Kenshin in this business. If you wish to import you must go through the agents they already have. By the time you get the fish, if you do have enough knowledge and space to recondition them, the profit will all be stripped off. Sounds to me like you know little about guppies and are just looking for a way to make a quick buck.

P.
Yep, I thought the same thing when I read the first post. I didn't expect anyone to answer him, based on that mindset. There have been many questions posted on other forums with the same thought: strike it rich with seahorses, or some other fish. Those get ignored, basically. Not very smart thinking...

Smiles, marli

RMC
07-14-2008, 05:51 PM
what if i import quality guppies in bulks... do ppl tend to want to purchase those? instead of breeding, just import them, good ones...
Are you saying that the Guppies we raise here are not good ones? :king:

limuhead
07-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Anyone who tries to make 'a quick buck' by selling fish is a screwball, I know that from experience(Stayed into breeding bettas for 2 years just to break even). I am not trying to be negative, just realistic. There are a few people who can and do sell lots of fish (hint hint) and do rather well, but that is what I assume that they do for a living, have been doing for long enought to be very good at it, and are in it for the long haul. Good luck, and I wish you great success!
Aloha, FreD
:lol:

pdpo222
07-14-2008, 10:31 PM
We have excellent guppy breeders on this site. Don't know that you could import better. Guppies take up lots of tank space so they don't interbreed. Then you have the babies that need tank space. And how many do you think you can sell?? My theory is I buy fish I like. If they breed fine...if not doesn't matter to me. I don't think there is any way to make a quick buck on fish. This is no get rich scheme. It is nothing but time and work. So if you want to make a quick buck, better look somewhere else, fish ain't it. :nono::nono::nono:

Crackedglass
07-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Personally I donít think you can inter this hobby and succeed just for money. Although all of the great ones saw dollar signs when they started. But they also had something else, the one ingredient that drove them to the top, and that is a love for the aquarium that was so deep that it became an obsession. You take Goober here, Ramirez, foruc, and Ronbak all of these men are at the top of their field, I know they squabble a lot but that is because they are the in the ďbest of the bestĒ category. That is easy to recognize, but what you donít see is all the years of hard work that has brought them to this point. You donít see the disappointments, and hardships along the way that took raw determination to over come. When the chips are down it is only that LOVE for hobby that will drive a person on. Lotsoffish, Karmafarms and myself come to mind, you cannot put out the volume of fish we do without putting in the legwork , and at the end of the day we are still trying to figure out how to make the months bills. Guppies is what you want to breed, guppies seem easy, they are! Easy to bred, but keeping them in top form takes experience. The best guppies you can buy on Aquabid will break down within 3 generations if you donít know what you are doing. So the long and the short of it is; I think you are asking the wrong question. It is not how much money you make but rather is it worth loving! Lovel/Crackedglass