PDA

View Full Version : BLATANTLY ILLEGAL activity on Aquabid

inka4040
11-16-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm talking about the sale of improper species, or species illegal for trade in the countries of sale. There's PLENTY of it happening on on Aquabid, and it seems to be going on completely unabated. Aside from any legal ramifications this may have for the site itself, its also generally really awful for the hobby. Don't we already have enough restrictions due to the actions of irresponsible jerks? I'm suggesting we put in a flag this post/auction feature like is currently employed sites like craigslist as well as many forums. This way, hobbyists can alert whomever is necessary about any potentially illegal activity going on in the auctions, so that they may be later removed if they do indeed turn out to break any laws. I mean if someone wants to sell haustrum snails on here, what's stopping someone else from auctioning marijuana in the plants section?

ChilDawg
11-16-2008, 02:08 PM
I was with your argument until that last line about haustrums leading to marijuana sales.

As for the illegal sales, try this (http://aquabid.com/report.htm).

inka4040
11-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for that link Chil. I've never seen that before, and if not for your link, probably would not be able to easily navigate back to it. Considering the volume of illegal activity that goes on/has gone on on aquabid, it doesn't seem that the current system is very effective. Maybe a small report button easly accessible on every page would be an easier solution. As for the weed comment, I was just using that as an example to illustrate how ridiculous it is that these activities are just freely allowed to continue.

ChilDawg
11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Not a problem, inka.

inka4040
11-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Additionally, there is no language about the sale of illegal items in the actions warranting investigation sections.

lotsoffish
11-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for that link Chil. I've never seen that before, and if not for your link, probably would not be able to easily navigate back to it. Considering the volume of illegal activity that goes on/has gone on on aquabid, it doesn't seem that the current system is very effective. Maybe a small report button easly accessible on every page would be an easier solution. As for the weed comment, I was just using that as an example to illustrate how ridiculous it is that these activities are just freely allowed to continue.
What activities are you talking about?

Goober
11-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Weed ?
Where ?
Who ?
How much ?

First off , Aquabid is covered .
This is posted on each and every auction........

"It is the responsibility of the seller and buyer to comply with all governmental laws and regulations of the local country. AquaBid.com does not condone any illegal activities of its sellers and buyers."

Second , It's an International auction site .
There are way to many laws from State level up to Federal for one guy to be weeding through .
Refer to "First off" .

Third , Mark has always been very straightforward on the fact that if The Feds come asking for someones personal info for selling or buying illegal species , they get it , pronto .
So , sellers and buyers of said species are taking a chance they are being watched without even knowing it .

Fourth , if you see something illegal going on , report it to Aquabid .
If you are right , POOF ! The auction (and most times the seller also) disappears .

Fifth , where was that weed again ? :snicker:

RMC
11-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Please refer to it as "herbs" so as not to draw negative attention.

:king:

Goober
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
I have an Uncle Herb .

RMC
11-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Probably a seedy ol phart too, huh?

Goober
11-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Probably a seedy ol phart too, huh?

Nah , I think he was part of a secret gubment cloning project .

inka4040
11-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Without pointing any fingers outright, check this list of snail shipping restrictions in the US and see how many are being openly traded in the inverts section.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173265

lotsoffish
11-16-2008, 03:54 PM
OK I thought you were going after the fish sellers.

Ya those snail sellers are all criminals. I think they all outta be tossed in jail for all the illegal stuff they do all the time. :v8:

plecoperson
11-16-2008, 04:00 PM
That's a really helpful link, inca-

I've reported bettas being sold as "great fighters" etc. and they come down immediately. That's a little different than trying to keep track of what species are illegal to sell/transport and knocking them all down, though. I do think that's too much to ask of Mark, and I am sure that most of the sellers know it's illegal to deal with the critters, just hope they don't get caught.

I know government agencies do check in on sites like this to look for illegal trading, though I think that's calmed down a lot in the last year or so. I have heard from several people who have had government representatives come to their homes and seize their snails (no kidding)!

beth
11-16-2008, 04:23 PM
A lot of the snails being sold CAN be sold and shipped legally IF the seller has the proper permits. It takes a while to file all the applications, is a lot of work and it is quite likely that many of the sellers DO NOT have those permits.

The site is watched and no doubt people have unwanted visits and had snails (and other things) confiscated. Last I knew Canas were the biggest target, they may be going after more kinds now, I have not kept up.

I too report stuff to Mark. His call whether or not to take them down. Fighting bettas are a sure thing, others at his digression.

Have you considered that leaving some listings up may give the Feds a chance to find those sellers and take real action against them?

famikert
11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
What are we talking about , Snails :nono::detective::qmark:
Could you clear this up about your selling snails since we can't see your snails?
Seller "If $%^&*%@ tells you that I sell snails, then that's that. I may have sold one snail this year but if somebody says he sold many snails of all the snails this year, then that's enough to get a whole lot started. I told the snail master that you don't have to give the people of *&%$^%* a reason to think about snail trading or anything like that. If you trade snails, you trade them to make the snails better...simple as that. I'm cool with that. I'm all about that. The people of @#$%^*& deserve to have a snail. It's simple as that. It goes further than that.

So you and snail master got caught up on Saturday Night Express about snails

If I can't sell snails, I can't sell snails. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about snails. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the best snail seller, and we're talking about snails. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about snails, not the auctions, not the auctions, not an auction, but we're talking about snails. Not the snails that I go out there and die for and feed every snail like it's my last one but we're talking about snails man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to sell by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about snails. We're talking about snails man. (laughter from the aquaria community crowd) We're talking about snails. We're talking about snails. We're not talking about the auctions We're talking about snails. When you come to the auction webiste, and you see me sell, you've seen me sell right, you've seen me sell everything I've got, but we're talking about snails right now. (more laughter)

But it's an issue that the big fish continues to raise

Hey I hear you, it's funny to me to, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about snails man, we're not even talking about the auctions, when it actually matters, we're talking about snails.

is it possible that if you didnt sell snails, you would make your auctions better
How in the hell can I make my auctions better by not selling snails

msjinkzd
11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
the only snail species which permits are issued for are pomacea bridgesii. All other apple snail species are not permitted to be shipped across state lines. Also, the only life stage of the species permitted to be sold is adults, no small juvies and no egg clutches.

Mark
11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes, I got a call from the US Dept of Agriculture last week. They called about some plants. They did not state a particular auction. I returned their call but I have not heard back from the yet. I get a call or email from an agent for the US Fish and Wildlife about once a month.

Please note sometimes the government departments like for the auctions to remain but so they see who bids on them so they can get a call also.

DLW777
11-16-2008, 05:44 PM
the only snail species which permits are issued for are pomacea bridgesii. All other apple snail species are not permitted to be shipped across state lines. Also, the only life stage of the species permitted to be sold is adults, no small juvies and no egg clutches.
I had no idea pomacea bridgesii eggs and juvies are illegal to ship. Does that means spixis are too? I see those all the time. I knew about the Canas. Thanks for the links. I don't sell snails and have only bid on adult brigs in the past but it is nice to know this stuff for future reference.

Deanna

ChilDawg
11-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Believe that spixis are illegal to transport across state lines.

msjinkzd
11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes spixis are illegal. the bridgesii are supposed to be larger sized because its difficult to determine exact species when they are under about dime-sized. I just recently realized a snail that was sent to mewas a haustrum, not a bridgesii when it hit about nickel-sized. I then noticed its whirls were more sunken....plus it noshed $100 worth of plants.

The asolene spixis are banned from transport because they can interbreed with the marisa (giant ramshorns). Initially its very easy to distinguish the mix, but as the generations expand it can be completely impossible to tell if it carries the plant-eating genetics visibly. Spixis in themselves are not very harmful/detrimental, but if they are mixed with marisas they can also decimate waterways and they lay eggs underwater, which can be more difficullt to remove.

yeahbut1
11-17-2008, 12:52 PM
When I saw some guy trying to sell a snakehead here,
I contacted him and explained what happened to mine.
What happened was, it was displayed in a local Fish store, at the suggestion of someone on the State's Board regarding invasive species.
The owner of the store who had prevented the fish from being released in local water in the first place, was herself and her business threatened by the Feds, when the fish was taken and murdered.
She should have told them it was her pet dogfish!

I have been seeking the elusive Haustrum for many years.
When I came on Aquabid 6 years ago looking for a big tank for Oscars this quest had taken me to the Smithsonian.

I even contacted what appeared to be a popular seller named Lotsoffish.
I ask if he could get the people who do the work for him to help me with this quest.
And, if he could help me I might believe some of the **** I been reading about him. .. (The start of our friendship I believe)

Anyway,
I mean if someone wants to sell haustrum snails on here, what's stopping someone else from auctioning marijuana in the plants section?

I guess post thanking one for a Big Bag of Weed
will bring the feds here looking for these snails now.

Thanks in Advance!

LATE NOTE:

Since my Smithsonian connection told me if I EVER find one to let her know. The truth is I still don't know if I have found one.
I was wondering if any federal agent who investigates the possession of
a Haustrum has to prove the person has what they are looking for.

Also,
BLATANTLY ILLEGAL?
What's next! The live food category!!
What a Can of Worms that would be!!!~:laugh:

:thinking:
Now that the election is over maybe we should have a
BLATANTLY ILLEGAL CATEGORY HERE
That may save the tax payers money by eliminating
the need for those who get paid to do it!

lotsoffish
11-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually Paul after reading this post don't you think your better off not having any Haustrum's around? I mean think about it.

Every time there was a knock at your door you would be wondering whether or not you should be flushing the dang things or not. :cop:

yeahbut1
11-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Actually Paul after reading this post don't you think your better off not having any Haustrum's around? I mean think about it.

Every time there was a knock at your door you would be wondering whether or not you should be flushing the dang things or not. :cop:
What are you doing Pete ..
You want me to come right out
and tell
on the guy who won three of these auctions last week :v8:

Crackedglass
11-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Ya Pete and Yeahbut I can see it now ...... An old hypie who finally figured out that all those trips to the bull pin was because of stashing pot in his cut out bible now finds life to dull. These days he is born again with a brand new bible that does not have a hole cut in the middle of it and he has children. He is far too respectable for such thuggerie but he still hears the little voice in his head saying rebel, so he keeps illegal snails. Even though this is a far more respectable crime, it still manages to gives him the old and warm feeling of paranoia every time someone comes tapping at his chamber door :0) When he gets pinched they might even have a special bull pin for wayward grandfathers who took the wrong path ..... Can't you just hear the conversations: "What did you do?" "I continued to drive in the passing lane even after I was warned" "what did you do?" "I was in possession of highly illegal snails that are bad for the ecology even though I claim to be an environmentalist! ........ I cracked I couldn't help it I got sick of recycling" I bet ya that one would bring a big hush on "C" Block LOL ......

Add to the story............. Lovel

lotsoffish
11-18-2008, 03:00 PM
I think I might run an auction titled "The US Fish and Wildlife can kiss my butt. Free Shipping!"

Maybe another one titled The NYSDEC can blow it out their pooper, Free Shipping!"

Here is how these morons operate. They come to some poor smucks house like mine and tell me I can't feed the deer cuz it's a NY State law. Yet the same morons have a bait and shoot program in the same neighborhood because there are to many deer and they are eating yuppies shrubberies those morons paid 200 bucks for at the local nursery they also buy all their pesticides from they spray all around their yards to kill God knows what. So not only can't my niece and nephew enjoy seeing a few deer up close eating a few damn apples when they would visit they also got to hear gun shots going off at dusk while the DEC was baiting and shooting these deer I was told not to bait so we could enjoy watching them peacefully eat in the yard.

I could go on and on about these morons and just might if I get the inkling they are reading this crap.

Check out this crap-

http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/cc2004-su-free.html

Here's another classic. It is now illegal to collect ANY fish in ANY matter in any waters in NY State. You can't catch a darter in a damn paper cup with some kids in a creek in a park without fear of getting fined but if you get a fishing licence you could catch a thousand sunfish with a fishing pole and take them home and bury them in your backyard if you feel like it.

That new law saved me 17.50 this year cuz I didn't even bother to get a fishing licence before I went out collecting darters with my 4x4 minnow net.

Here is another favorite of mine. The NYSDEC is afraid of folks spreading VHSV virus around the State so you can't collect your own bait anymore but you can BUY all the imported bait from other States you want even though none of the imported bait is tested for ANYTHING and a lot of the imported bait fish are NOT even species native to our waters. How stupid is that? This is a NYSDEC law. Oh, here's a good one. We have whirling disease in our trout streams and guess who the morons are who introduced this crap into our water? Yep you guessed it. The NYSDEC did it while annually stocking non native brown trout into our streams and rivers.

These guys are the absolute worst group of "environmentalist's" I have ever seen. They very rarely spend any time ticketing or fining industrial polluters UNLESS citizen groups first threaten to sue the NYSDEC and their favorite activity is to hassle poor folks that are out fishing without a licence trying to catch a few fish in lake Erie or Ontario that those poor folks are really not even supposed to eat because the NYSDEC sucks so badly those fish are contaminated with toxins the NYSDEC fails to prevent from entering our waterways.

So there you have it. And now some guy named inka4040 is here whining about a few folks that are shipping some snails so other folks can enjoy them in a 20 gallon tank in their living room?

GIVE ME A FRIGGEN BREAK. :thumbsdown:

PS. God that felt good. Someone foreword this to the NYSDEC and tell them I am illegally feeding songbirds in Kenmore NY. Point out to them I am feeding the birds on my second story porch so they will need a search warrant to come up stairs and write me up. :bigthumbsup:

Here check this out. It was the last 30 acre track of land folks had in the City of Tonawanda. It got bulldozed over 3 years a go and now there is fancy offices there. It was the previous home to at least 2 threatened salamanders, countless deer, fox, raccoons, skunks, and the only place around I have ever seen saw whet owls locally.

Before-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/lotsoffish/New%20York/IMG_0987.jpg

After-

http://www.ciminellirealestate.com/public/buffalo/colvinwoods/images/colvinwoods2.jpg

Nice job NYSDEC. Keep up the good work you lackeys. :thumbsdown:

lotsoffish
11-18-2008, 03:05 PM
PS. How was that Lovel?

Us old hypie types still have it hu? :gickle:

Crackedglass
11-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow! We have almost point for point the same stuff going on here in Michigan. I almost got busted this year collecting also, but I was lucky enough to see the DNR guy lurking around watching me. Here in Michigan you can collect from a body of water but the fish cannot leave the body if they were netted and not hooked. But you have to have your name, address, and phone on the bucket, I had all of that, and I also had an old digital camera in my pocket. When he finally saw that he was seen he came up and inspected my stuff, and than he asked what I was doing with the fish. I told him that I write for aquarium magazines and that I was going to take pictures right there on location in compliance with the law. We both knew I was lying but he left, and I threw the stuff back ...... But it makes me mad that something I have done since before I can remember is now outlawed. I am sorry but that ant stoping me, thats like taking my breath away.

As far as the deer, we can't feed them here either now. This will be our first year, and I feel bad about it. Every winter late into January the deer start relying on the handouts. They have bred the heard into numbers much larger then natural, and now they are going to just let them starve. The idea is that deer share the food and disease, but if they are starving them it won't stop the sharing of food.

lotsoffish
11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Wow! We have almost point for point the same stuff going on here in Michigan. I almost got busted this year collecting also, but I was lucky enough to see the DNR guy lurking around watching me. Here in Michigan you can collect from a body of water but the fish cannot leave the body if they were netted and not hooked. But you have to have your name, address, and phone on the bucket, I had all of that, and I also had an old digital camera in my pocket. When he finally saw that he was seen he came up and inspected my stuff, and than he asked what I was doing with the fish. I told him that I write for aquarium magazines and that I was going to take pictures right there on location in compliance with the law. We both knew I was lying but he left, and I threw the stuff back ...... But it makes me mad that something I have done since before I can remember is now outlawed. I am sorry but that ant stoping me, thats like taking my breath away.

As far as the deer, we can't feed them here either now. This will be our first year, and I feel bad about it. Every winter late into January the deer start relying on the handouts. They have bred the heard into numbers much larger then natural, and now they are going to just let them starve. The idea is that deer share the food and disease, but if they are starving them it won't stop the sharing of food.
Ya, well I have my own set of rules with those guys.

If they want to see what I am feeding in my back yard they better have a warrant and if they want to see what's in my collecting bucket they can walk out into 2 feet of rushing water and take a look. Otherwise they can "stick it" :thumbsdown:

DLW777
11-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Back to the snails. First off I think that link was very informative and I'm glad it was posted. I had no idea what was legal and what wasn't.

Second, I don't see the big deal since nobody is going to buy snails and then release them into the wild or flush them alive down the toilet. Also, the snail sellers aren't making a lot of money off these snails so it is likely they are not purposely selling illegal snails and are probably just clueless. Blatantly illegal seems a little harsh. Then again, I'm no expert so maybe this is a bigger deal than most of us think it is. I think there are bigger fish to fry out there.

If you have any info. that would prove me wrong, I'm always willing to learn. Let me know. Thanks.

Deanna

yeahbut1
11-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Yeahbut!
But I got a receipt!
I just bought all these snails last night at Petsmart!
Black ones, Gold ones, but the little lambs ate the Ivory!

:cop: OK BOY,
You lucky you didn't feed no doe's no oats! :lol:~:laugh:

nclearh20
11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
holy random freakout, batman.

seems like there are plenty of other things these days to have a complete heart attack over. oh noes, somebody somewhere is selling illegal snails on the internets! What, jealous? Too guilty and paranoid to sell your own snails so everyone else should stop selling them too?

i bought beer the other day and didn't get carded. I also didn't pull out my cell phone and call the cops over it because the cashier obviously just sold alcohol to someone under 30 without checking ID. There are plenty of things to worry about - pick your battles. And maybe take one of those adult-sized aspirins. You sound tense.

lotsoffish
11-21-2008, 01:08 PM
holy random freakout, batman.

seems like there are plenty of other things these days to have a complete heart attack over. oh noes, somebody somewhere is selling illegal snails on the internets! What, jealous? Too guilty and paranoid to sell your own snails so everyone else should stop selling them too?

i bought beer the other day and didn't get carded. I also didn't pull out my cell phone and call the cops over it because the cashier obviously just sold alcohol to someone under 30 without checking ID. There are plenty of things to worry about - pick your battles. And maybe take one of those adult-sized aspirins. You sound tense.
I couldn't have said it better! :thumbsup:

tpetsfl
04-04-2009, 09:36 AM
There is no reason to report anyone. As has been stated the rules are clear on Aquabid about obeying the law. Secondly, law enforcement needs to be left in the hands of law enforcement. There is no question that the government agencies that monitor illegal trade keep an eye on Aquabid. There have been numerous stories in the press about this. And some people here have been notified by these agencies. What is going to happen if we have wanna be law enforcers reporting violations is that the government is going to resort to a tactic known as "feel good" enforcement. Wildlife services are known for this. What this means is that they will go after the people that are easiest and cheapest to get. They cannot do the hard work at the borders that need to be done so they draw attention to themselves and pat themselves on the back by attacking easy targets, namely hobbyists who are ignorant to the law. And then they will have someone monitoring every auction and then they will start coming up with new "illegal" items. The less attention that is brought to Aquabid the better, and just minding your own business will keep them off our backs.

We have seen this in the pet industry here in Florida. They have all but made large snakes and nile monitors illegal and a great deal of money has been spent by Fish & Wildlife to create this new law and to enforce it. What it means is that if a hobbyist has any python that grows over 8 or 9 feet they must be microchipped, the keeper has to have state approved caging, a special license needs to be bought on top of the previous licenses required, and all of this applies to nile monitors as well. All of this because some animals have gotten loose in south florida. So instead of doing real law enforcement like stopping poaching and keeping illegal things from coming across the border they attack pet keepers because it is easy and makes good press. No one in Florida has ever been maimed or killed by a rogue snake, no one in Florida has ever been attacked by a rogue monitor lizard. But look how many people have been attacked by rogue pit bulls. Or other domestic animals. And that is my point. There is no evidence that released pets have caused any significant environmental damage, but things like grass carp, and other animals and plants released by Florida govenment agencies HAVE caused damage in this state and no one takes responsibility for that.

People need to mind their own business and allow the authorities to engage in their own follies. Hobbyists are not the criminals.

Bill

BecauseMisaHasTheEyes
04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
It's illegal to have freshwater stingrays, piranha, and any form of crayfish in Arizona. And you know what? People still keep them. It's a black market, and unless we become a full nanny state (see my post about April 23), nada you can do about it.

bass24
05-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Inkadinka,

Where were you when we got stuck with the great lakes gobies, zebra mussels, lampreys, snake fish to name a few
Seems most of these problems come from Government with lax regulations for shipping. Unless you consider
the Nagahide and the trouble it brought in the 70's and 80's to the auto industry. And I forgot the peacock bass down in FL
that now is got anglers flying in to catch that fish for sport. Ain't capitalism great? Keep up your watchdog service here on AB and
the top AB violators.

Sit
05-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I think I might run an auction titled "The US Fish and Wildlife can kiss my butt. Free Shipping!"

Maybe another one titled The NYSDEC can blow it out their pooper, Free Shipping!"

Here is how these morons operate. They come to some poor smucks house like mine and tell me I can't feed the deer cuz it's a NY State law. Yet the same morons have a bait and shoot program in the same neighborhood because there are to many deer and they are eating yuppies shrubberies those morons paid 200 bucks for at the local nursery they also buy all their pesticides from they spray all around their yards to kill God knows what. So not only can't my niece and nephew enjoy seeing a few deer up close eating a few damn apples when they would visit they also got to hear gun shots going off at dusk while the DEC was baiting and shooting these deer I was told not to bait so we could enjoy watching them peacefully eat in the yard.

I could go on and on about these morons and just might if I get the inkling they are reading this crap.

Check out this crap-

http://www.all-creatures.org/cash/cc2004-su-free.html

Here's another classic. It is now illegal to collect ANY fish in ANY matter in any waters in NY State. You can't catch a darter in a damn paper cup with some kids in a creek in a park without fear of getting fined but if you get a fishing licence you could catch a thousand sunfish with a fishing pole and take them home and bury them in your backyard if you feel like it.

That new law saved me 17.50 this year cuz I didn't even bother to get a fishing licence before I went out collecting darters with my 4x4 minnow net.

Here is another favorite of mine. The NYSDEC is afraid of folks spreading VHSV virus around the State so you can't collect your own bait anymore but you can BUY all the imported bait from other States you want even though none of the imported bait is tested for ANYTHING and a lot of the imported bait fish are NOT even species native to our waters. How stupid is that? This is a NYSDEC law. Oh, here's a good one. We have whirling disease in our trout streams and guess who the morons are who introduced this crap into our water? Yep you guessed it. The NYSDEC did it while annually stocking non native brown trout into our streams and rivers.

These guys are the absolute worst group of "environmentalist's" I have ever seen. They very rarely spend any time ticketing or fining industrial polluters UNLESS citizen groups first threaten to sue the NYSDEC and their favorite activity is to hassle poor folks that are out fishing without a licence trying to catch a few fish in lake Erie or Ontario that those poor folks are really not even supposed to eat because the NYSDEC sucks so badly those fish are contaminated with toxins the NYSDEC fails to prevent from entering our waterways.

So there you have it. And now some guy named inka4040 is here whining about a few folks that are shipping some snails so other folks can enjoy them in a 20 gallon tank in their living room?

GIVE ME A FRIGGEN BREAK. :thumbsdown:

PS. God that felt good. Someone foreword this to the NYSDEC and tell them I am illegally feeding songbirds in Kenmore NY. Point out to them I am feeding the birds on my second story porch so they will need a search warrant to come up stairs and write me up. :bigthumbsup:

Here check this out. It was the last 30 acre track of land folks had in the City of Tonawanda. It got bulldozed over 3 years a go and now there is fancy offices there. It was the previous home to at least 2 threatened salamanders, countless deer, fox, raccoons, skunks, and the only place around I have ever seen saw whet owls locally.

Before-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/lotsoffish/New%20York/IMG_0987.jpg

After-

http://www.ciminellirealestate.com/public/buffalo/colvinwoods/images/colvinwoods2.jpg

Nice job NYSDEC. Keep up the good work you lackeys. :thumbsdown:

Damn, wish I'd have seen this thread sooner! Gotta hand it to ya Pete, Bravo! You sure your not a closet Libertarian? :bigthumbsup:

yeahbut1
05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I have gotten crossed eyed headaches reading
the rules and regulations of the Department of Environmental Management ...

Yes,
The folks in New York State have lost their mind!

But it's the same to a lesser degree here in Indiana.

My problem was I didn't know when to stop reading.

Because it's not a case like with easy credit rip off
Big Print Giveth .. Small Print Taketh Away

It's all in big print.
It's not just a case of the right hand
not knowing what the left hand is doing.

It's like each finger on each hand contradict each other.

Maybe it's the invention of cubicles that has prevented
communication between these people who's desks are 5 feet apart.

Here in Indiana,
you can still collect bait fish
as long as you have an Indiana Fishing License.

The guy tossing the throw net in the dam's troff at Lake Lemon
yesterday said he didn't know what a Darter was and has never seen one.
Even though I would bet his minnow collecting
has included the creek the troff was flowing into.

Lake Lemon was formed by damming Bean Blossom Creek.
That's why I was there in the first place.
Bean Blossom Creek is home to the Dusky Darter

I know Darters end up in minnow buckets here in Indiana.
This kid tossing the throw net didn't lie to me.

Because Darters are simply called bait.

When I stroll in a creek.
I put my fishing license in my shirt pocket.
I turn over rocks, move logs looking for crayfish.

If all I find are some creek fish .. so be it.

My apartment looks like the back room of your local fish store.

Inside of my van looks
and SMELLS
like the back room of your local bait shop.

If there is any question concerning
what I have in my bucket and apartment...

I'm calling it bait!

MaryPa
05-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Yes, I got a call from the US Dept of Agriculture last week. They called about some plants. They did not state a particular auction. I returned their call but I have not heard back from the yet. I get a call or email from an agent for the US Fish and Wildlife about once a month.

Please note sometimes the government departments like for the auctions to remain but so they see who bids on them so they can get a call also.
Was it actually the Dept of Ag :nono: or an Ab`er pullin a trick :gickle: on ya?

Mark
05-07-2009, 05:19 AM

Was it actually the Dept of Ag :nono: or an Ab`er pullin a trick :gickle: on ya?
Sean M. Blount
USDA Regional Analyst
Eastern Region
Raleigh, NC

Office: (919) 855 - 7343 Want to talk to him?

Prettylongtail
05-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Things are getting kind of tight here in WI too. Birds and testing and checking paper work they have been doing this for some time and when I was in the pond business we had to be very careful to sell only plants that would die over winter or be used only in ponds not invade. In some ways its good and others its bad but if you have a question of is it legal.........be careful not to sell it before you find out. Here we have had whole flocks or rare birds taken by the USDA because they were shipped in and maybe only one bird was shipped but the load was taken. I do the testing on the birds and I go to the meetings and they really want people just not to have this stuff so we all have to follow the rules or it may be across the board and black market only to get the fish birds or anything else. Look no farther then factory farms and Peta but we do not want to give them a inch to stand on.
Mark thanks for the info I think everyone should give him a call ....all the time.so all he can do is answer phones!

Iggy
05-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I sure as he** would - it is in violation of Aquabid terms that prohibit the selling/promoting of bettas for fighting purposes. Even if he sez that he's selling the "bloodline" , it still promotes the sale of bettas for fighting purposes, which is what they're produced for over there. I seriously doubt "active, good health, good teeth, good skin" is a language interpretation problem - even if they omit the "good skin, good teeth" part . And the names that they use - cyclone, hurricane, tiger, zagug, king, evil, etc...all are synonymous with fighting.
I say eliminate the plakat category, PERIOD. Too many people trying to get around the "system".

Goober
05-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Excellent thinking there Iggy .
A few people skirt the rules and lets just eliminate the whole category .

Just report what you think is "illegal" and let Mark take care of it however he thinks it should be taken care of .

We used to have an LFS here that got a shipment of imported Fighters once a month .
That store would be packed all day , they didnt even take the Fighters outta the bags .
Guys would squat in front of the tanks and pull out individually bagged fish and check them out from nose to tail , then pay $20.00 each for them .

I'd bet that those fish were taken care of better than most if not all the other fish bought that day .
Fighters rarely allow these fish to kill each other , it ain't like dog or c-o-c-k fighting .
Those fish are coddled .

Iggy
05-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Nothing wrong with the name of the fish - it's the implication of fighting lines that sellers are using in their ads. Sure, they may not be selling them as actual fighters (BTW how do we know for sure???) but they are still promoting the business of selling fish used in fighting by promoting the lines.

Splitting hairs? I guess... but we all "know" it's happening.

BTW..."siamese fighting fish" is classically associated with Betta splendens... all the other species have other names associated with them, especially the wild-type ones.

Then again...everyone "knows" that ;)

lotsoffish
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I say eliminate the plakat category, PERIOD. Too many people trying to get around the "system".
Heck, lets just eliminate the Internet altogether.
That would not only solve this betta fighting problem, but think of how much porno it would eliminate. :rolleyes:

AIRSTONED
05-13-2009, 05:21 AM
My opinion is, with all the crooked crap going on in our government surly a person could find something more important to b!tch about!
Mark has it to deal with and does have his A$$ covered if you read the rules!
Now put down the pipe and back away slowly, you have had enough!!!
:confused:

Farlowella
05-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I remember when I first started posting auctions here on AB you weren't allowed to post the same thing repeatedly. But now geez allot of people are doing it over and over again and its really annoying and makes me wonder what happened here?

The plakat section really gets overloaded with the repeats I've noticed.

Iggy
05-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Eggzackly - and it's primarily the asian fish farm sellers doing it . You see it mostly in the betta categories and the flowerhorns - a bajillion ads that say the exact same thing except for a number change. Quick way to post multiple identical auctions and get around the rules .

BTW those fighter plakat ads are still up and they keep coming.......

Mark
05-15-2009, 06:16 PM
But they are not the same ad. They are selling different fish.

thekid
06-26-2009, 04:45 PM
I've been selling marajuana in the plant section for years and none of my customers has ever complained. You are the first person to complain in the ten years I have been selling it. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

:chair:

josman
07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Hey Pete.
Sounds like this guy has been smoking some of that grass,do they call it kelp.This is not craigs list.I have not seen any ladies of the evening,on AquaBid.Do you really
think anyone here,would do such a thing like that, O that would be against law,Bad Boy.No one here would do such a thing.
Thewolfman

josman
07-02-2009, 04:40 PM
AIN'T THAT TO BAD
we have more to worry about.I don't think any one here woud do such a thing. Thewolfman---------------HowOOOOOOOOo.