PDA

View Full Version : New Member

bettagirls334
03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Hello I am new to this whole fish thing. I purchased a beautiful yellow betta two weeks ago. He never seemed to adjust and did not eat. I brought him back to the pet shop the fish man said he had ich or the ammonia level in the water was too high. Long story short I bought an ich treatment as well as a a water test kit , treated the poor guy and found him dead this morning. I am not sure what I did to kill him he had a 3 gallon tank all to himself only bloodworms and brine shrimp to eat and the water was as clean as it could be. Please help if you have any information.

UNCLERICK666
03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
:thinking:

DON'T FRET YOU DIDN'T KILL HIM. :hug:

IT'S NOT LIKELY THAT ENOUGH AMMONIA COULD BUILD UP IN 3 GAL. OF WATER FROM A FISH THAT ISN'T EATING. UNLESS YOU LEFT DEAD FOOD IN THE WATER.

YOU CAN SEE WHITE SPOTS LIKE SALT IF IT'S ICH. AND IF SO.... MOST LIKELY HAD IT BEFORE YOU GOT HIM HOME.

ARE YOU ON CITY WATER? DID YOU TREAT THE WATER AND CHECK THE TEMP. BEFORE ADDING THE FISH?

IF YOUR FEEDING LIVE FOODS AND HE WASN'T EATING, THAN HE WAS PROBABLY SICK TO BEGIN WITH.

WELCOME TO AQUABOARDS, FISH ARE FUN, SO YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY AGAIN.

ALL THE BEST........ UNCLE :cool:

bettagirls334
03-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Dear Uncle, Thank you for responding. I feel awful that the fish died. I am going to try again. You mentioned temperature, the betta book I bought said it should be between 78 and 82 degrees. The tank had a little heater the water was about 78 according to the thermometer. Is this wrong too hot, too cold. He did not have any spots that I could see but he was a very pale yellow.
Thanks Again, Bettagirls334

bettagirls334
03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Dear Uncle, Thank you for responding. I am in an awful mess. As you read in my last post the pale yellow betta passed despite my best efforts to save him. You mentioned water temperature the tank has a small heater and the thermometer read 77 degrees. In the betta book I bought it said the water should mimic tropical conditions and be between 78 and 82 degrees is this wrong? I did not see any spots on him at all but due to his color I might have missed them. I threw awy all of the gravel and the plants that were in his tank in case they were ich infested I put hot water in the tank and put it in a plastic bag in the dark in case there were parasites in it then I emptied it and put it in the sun. I can throw recycle it and get a new one if it is infested. Thank you again for your response, Bettagirls334

UNCLERICK666
03-12-2009, 02:09 AM
AS LONG AS IT'S ABOVE 75 IT SHOULDN'T HURT THEM 78-80 IS CONSIDERED IDEAL. AT THE LFS THEY ARE KEPT AT ROOM TEMP,
KEEP IN MIND YOUR PROBABLY BUYING ADULT FISH, AND BETTAS JUST DON'T LIVE THAT LONG. YOU CAN TELL BY THE WAY STORES TREAT THEM THAT THEY ARE CONSIDERED"DISPOSABLE" FISH. :sad:

HERE'S A WHOLE BATCH OF INFO FOR YOU TO LOOK AT:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_en-USUS300US304&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=HOW+TO+KEEP+BETTAS

SOME OF OUR MEMBERS AND A LOT FROM THE BETTA FORUMS AS WELL "RESCUE" FISH FROM WALLMART ETC.

IF YOU POST A QUESTION LIKE.....
"DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG" IN ANOTHER PART (GENERAL) OR ON A BETTA FORUM YOU MIGHT GET BETTER RESULTS.

ALSO BETTAS DON'T LIKE DEEP WATER OR WATER WITH LOTS OF MOVEMENT.
MOST FOLKS USE A SMALL SPONGE OR CORNER FILTER POWERED BY AIR.
SO..... ONLY USE AS MUCH WATER AS YOU NEED TO KEEP THE FILTER WORKING

IT'S ALSO A GOOD IDEA TO KEEP THE TANK COVERED AS THEY CAN JUMP OUT.
AND BECAUSE THEY BREATH AIR NEED THE EXTRA HUMIDITY.

ALL THE BEST.......... UNCLE :cool: