PDA

View Full Version : A transplanted Texan living in ND

Dani
03-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Howdy folks!

My name is Dani. I'm new to the hobby, as in I've been only attempting to keep fish for the last 5 years. I managed to keep a beautiful fantail for 18 months - he even made the trip to ND from NY last October, only to die in December. :sad2:

I have a ten gallon tank that currently has some floating plant (from Wally world, sorry), three small goldfish that I got from freecycle - the lady had them in strawberry pots! - a small pleco (again from Wally World) and a red male betta. They all get together and have been very active and fun to watch. Oh yeah I put in there some mystery pond-type very small snails that laid eggs (got 'em from a friend who said they were on his aquatic plants when he bought them from some LFS), two black mystery snails, and 2 gold mystery snails.

My hubby :king: bought a 29 gallon tank and let it sit 24 hours before filling it with fish. I could have killed him! :bump: Yes, the fish have all died off since then. He won't let me put plants or decorations in it. He has one filter in it (whereas mine has two filters and looks crystal clear, I might add :tongue:) and he won't let me pretty it up or add another filter. So I tried to treat it like a ten gallon and leave it be. Welllllll.... I put a few snails in it - he took them out and put them back in my tank. I grew some mystery bulb plant in it (from Wally World) and he objected but the fish nibble on it and he left it in. A freecycler posted that he needed to get rid of his fish and I couldn't resist. :whistle: So....

His tank now has a pleco about 8" big, a gourami (I'd have to post a pic of it because I'm not sure what kind of gourami it is), a male blue betta, two fantail goldfish, four upside down catfish, and a pair of some kind of fish - maybe another type of gourami? This tank is lively and no one has died in two months, thank goodness, but I feel like it needs plants (especially for the betta and the gouramis) and someplace for the fish to hide. I placed a pot on it's side at the bottom of the tank for fish to hide in. HE threw his hands up in the air and gave up. :giveup: :gickle:

Anyways, we're military and I decided that this time, I'm gonna have the tanks and plants that I want and not be afraid to move them when we have to move again. (Unless it's overseas - then I will send them all to my Mom in San Antonio and let her put them in her above ground fish pond that she made from a cow trough - the circular concrete kind.)

Sorry - I tend to :type: alot....

So, I plan on getting more tanks: a ten gallon for plants and snails to breed in, a twenty gallon for guppies in the teen's room, and a 55 gallon to put in platy's and oto's in the living room. BUT, I won't be doing that until this summer - after a certain someone is deployed and can't yell at me for getting more tanks and fish - and when I feel it is safe to get more fish (read after I realize tha tI haven't killed any fish in 6 months finally).

Anyways, I'm waiting for spring to get here because I'm tired of all this doggone snow :cold: and surprise blizzards and precipitation. I'm 5 and a half hours northwest of Fargo, and about an hour and a half north of Bismarck, ND.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here. I've been lurking and attempting to figure out who the better salespeople are for tanks, plants, and fish are. I mean I'm willing to get a tank locally if need be, but LFS and Wally World fish really suck out here! I'm just glad my snails decided to lay eggs a month after bringing them home...

Well, thanks for reading your butts off :paper:.

Dani in ND

plumvalley
03-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Hello Dani.
Welcome to AquaBid.:grin:
Boy I read my butt off, hope there's no 2nd chapter :lol2:

Dani
03-29-2009, 11:13 PM
:blush: :laugh:

plumvalley
03-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey Minot's not that bad, only place I know where you can ice fish all year round.

marli
03-30-2009, 05:46 AM
I think you dropped this.

~hands Plum his butt back~

Very nice, by the way. :snicker:

Welcome to the nut house, Dani. Where might your spouse be deploying to, if you don't mind my asking? I'm former military wife myself (well, not former yet, but working on it), so I'm curious. Plus, I'm just damned nosey.

One thing: you may want to get a bigger tank for those Goldfish. That's all I'll say for fear of seeming like I'm slamming you first thing in the forums, which I'm not. You'd know if I was, cause not only am I nosey, I'm a bitch too. Ask around.

Smiles, marli

Dani
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey Minot's not that bad, only place I know where you can ice fish all year round.
Don't you know it tho? :cry:

Dani
03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
I think you dropped this.

~hands Plum his butt back~

Very nice, by the way. :snicker:

Welcome to the nut house, Dani. Where might your spouse be deploying to, if you don't mind my asking? I'm former military wife myself (well, not former yet, but working on it), so I'm curious. Plus, I'm just damned nosey.

One thing: you may want to get a bigger tank for those Goldfish. That's all I'll say for fear of seeming like I'm slamming you first thing in the forums, which I'm not. You'd know if I was, cause not only am I nosey, I'm a bitch too. Ask around.

Smiles, marli
Hubby is going to Balad, Iraq. 6 months (plus one for training in the states.) It's okay - I'm nosey, too.
About the goldfish - which ones? The fantails or the little goldfish in the ten gallon? I know that the fantails need to be in a huge tank (well huge to me - I've never had anything over 30 gallons!). I plan on getting more tanks, so the ones who need more room will be my first priority, definitely. I'm just hoping they will last until then.... :wink2:

Dani

marli
03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Hubby is going to Balad, Iraq. 6 months (plus one for training in the states.) It's okay - I'm nosey, too.
About the goldfish - which ones? The fantails or the little goldfish in the ten gallon? I know that the fantails need to be in a huge tank (well huge to me - I've never had anything over 30 gallons!). I plan on getting more tanks, so the ones who need more room will be my first priority, definitely. I'm just hoping they will last until then.... :wink2:

Dani
Well, I don't keep goldfish myself, but have read often that they need about 10 gallons each. All kinds of goldies, as far as I know. I'll let more informed folks step in now. Oh, but they do like their water on the cooler side, and bettas like it warm. Sooo...

Has your guy been to the sand box before? Mine went twice. Just spent a weekend with a few of the guys he went over with first time (he was there when the whole thing started) and is now driving me nuts. Well, that's pretty normal, but more so.

Anyway, any questions on the goldies, ask in the other areas, you'll get plenty of answers there (freshwater).

Smiles, marli

Dani
03-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Well, I don't keep goldfish myself, but have read often that they need about 10 gallons each. All kinds of goldies, as far as I know. I'll let more informed folks step in now. Oh, but they do like their water on the cooler side, and bettas like it warm. Sooo...

Has your guy been to the sand box before? Mine went twice. Just spent a weekend with a few of the guys he went over with first time (he was there when the whole thing started) and is now driving me nuts. Well, that's pretty normal, but more so.

Anyway, any questions on the goldies, ask in the other areas, you'll get plenty of answers there (freshwater).

Smiles, marli
BTW, Eeyore is my favorite of the whole Pooh gang. I absolutely love him!!!!

Well... I was gonna get a 75 or larger tank and put the fantails in that. Lessee..... three common goldies and two fantails mean at least 50 gallons of water so.... I'll definitely get a bigger tank for those guys. My ten gallon sits underneath the ac/heat vent that blows down from the ceiling, so the tank is a nice 74 degrees all the time. I didn't think about what's gonna happen in the summer when we have to cool down the house though - doh! :thinking:

Oh crap! I was gonna take pics!!!! I'll go do that now... lol

Laters,
Dani

p.s. He's been to Saudi once for three months like 8 years ago. We only had 2 kiddies then - we've got 5 now.... (LOONG STORY!) I'm not looking forward to shoveling snow this next winter, so I'm saving to buy a snowblower, lol. We wore the kids out with the shoveling this year, but apparently this year was the exception - Minot broke snowfall records this winter. RIDICULOUS! I guess if we can survive this winter, we can survive anything.