PDA

View Full Version : If a seller doesn't have paypal and wants a money order is this danger

thekid
06-26-2009, 05:37 PM
If a seller doesn't have paypal and wants a money order is there anyway to protect yourself. He has basically NO feed back and sounds suspicious. Is there an escrow system I could see if he would accept. If so, does anyone know how it works and what I would do to use it? I would appreciate anyone's input. :sos:

fishguy_1955
06-26-2009, 05:48 PM
I take money orders and personal checks all the time and have not had a single problem. I just do not ship until I have cashed the money order or check. Escrow services are used for high priced items. Others do things differently, but that is how I do it.

Paul P.

thekid
06-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Good for you!

:offtopic:

pdpo222
06-26-2009, 06:30 PM
No shipping until check or money order clears. I usually tell them it will add a week on to their wait. Then it's up to them. No amount of crying, begging, or excuses change this rule. If they don't like it they can read my auctions where I make sure I put that in.

UNCLERICK666
06-26-2009, 06:37 PM
THERE'S VALID REASONS FOR WANTING ONLY M.O.'S
THINK ABOUT IT........ :thinking:

FOLKS ON FIXED INCOMES, SSI, SSDI, ETC. COULD LOOSE BENEFITS IF MONEYS WENT THROUGH PAYPAL AND INTO THEIR BANK ACCOUNT.

POSTAL M.O.'S ARE USUALLY SAFE, NO ONE WANTS POSTAL FRAUD ON THEIR RECORD.

WELCOME TO AB, AND THE FORUMS................ UNCLE :cool:

thekid
06-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think I posted my queston clearly. I am going to be the BUYER, the person with the fish will only accept a money order or certified check. He also stated shipping only no local pick up. That makes me suspicious. Does anyone know how that escrow thing works. A while ago aquabid was suggesting this for expensive orders. This is an expensive order. If anyone knows how to get the escrow thing please let me know.
I won't ship a money order to someone with no feed back.

yada
06-26-2009, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't mess with it. The escrow thing is you send money to escrow service, they tell seller, seller sends them product. Then service sernds everyone their stuff.

I'm on fixed income and do PayPal alla time.

bozzle
06-26-2009, 07:03 PM
https://www.escrow.com/index.asp

thorny
06-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Well you could post the sellers name here and see if anyone has done business with or knows him.
Or just move down the line and find someone else.

With www.Escrow.com there is a flat fee of $25.00 per transaction up to $769. So if this really is a big money purchase than that seems like a small price to pay for peace of mind.

He also stated shipping only no local pick up. That makes me suspicious.
There are lots of good sellers that don't want folks stopping by. Some are probably paranoid and some probably have things that they don't want you to know about.

I'm sure with all that pot you've been selling that you don't want strangers dropping by

Skiboy
06-26-2009, 08:07 PM
If a seller doesn't have paypal and wants a money order is there anyway to protect yourself. He has basically NO feed back and sounds suspicious. Is there an escrow system I could see if he would accept. If so, does anyone know how it works and what I would do to use it? I would appreciate anyone's input. :sos:
I think you are right to be suspicious, I would pass.

RMC
06-26-2009, 08:55 PM
I think a test is in order.............

Send me a money order for $50 and I'll send you a box of really good stuff. If you're still squeamish you can use PayPal.

:king:

fishguy_1955
06-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Good for you! :offtopic:
Misunderstood your question, along with a couple other well meaning respondents. Thanks for the graceful correction. I'm with Ski on this one and would pass on a large MO purchase from a 0/0 seller. You could end up at the gory end of their first experiment in shipping.

Paul P.

thekid
06-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I want to thank everyone who responded and confirmed my suspicions. If it sounds too good to be true it usually is. I left it alone.
By the way if anyone is interested it was for a L-046 Zebra Plecostmus. The item# of the now closed auction is #1246384913 The seller was "Wlsnakeskin (2/2)". He listed a 3 inch zebra for $150 which included the shipping charges. That sounded pretty cheap for a Zebra. I checked the "closed auction" and someone by the screen name Kitumba21 (0/0) bought it. That sounds like a fake too. I think this was a scam.

buyguy52
06-28-2009, 11:56 AM
There was a seller here quite recently -- can't remember the name -- that only accepted m.o.'s, kept the money and shippid nothing.....said in his auctions he wasn't "set up" for paypal --- with a paypal transaction you as a stiffed buyer can file a complaint with paypal and their account will be frozen until the dispute is resolved while with a money order you are out of luck. A seller with a high good feedback is a different story... just my opinion...

tank11
07-03-2009, 06:56 AM
with a US postal money order your in big trouble if you try to cheat the buyer.. The post office don't take kindly to cheats.. I once had problems wityh big time rip off gang, here on AB. wrote the postal service and the other group tripped all over them self's making good on the Deal..ask any none about Aquarock and what they were like...
:oops:
PS would you want any of these meat head caseing your house..

boxermom
09-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Ok...So my #1 Question was did you not think me as the seller would see this? I can understand your concern on sending a money order. But why the Hell Would I put myself in a predicament of going to jail? Not only that, You guys know my address after winning the auctions and do you really think I like Confrontation? NOT! And some crazy people would be willing to come to my home if they didn't recieve their stuff and start something...I think I probably would.

Now as for the No-Pickups...I WON'T LET ANYONE IN MY HOME because I am a paranoid Freak after having my cell phone & $150 worth of electronics stolen when I was helping someone get fish. Would you let someone in your home after that? Not only that, I am disabled...I can't protect myself and I just don't trust people that I don't know in my home. I don't even let locals come inside. I ask them what colors of fish they want, bag them, and meet them at the front door.

As for the NO Paypal...THERE FEE'S ARE RIDICULOUS and I'm not paying them! Plus This isn't an everyday fish selling business for me. When I buy things, I always pay with a Money order.

Now...My Question to you...When you were bidding on my fish You saw there was 0/0 Feedback...and that I only accept Money orders...So why did you bid if you had a problem with that?
Honestly...I'm not trying to be rude. I have been breeding guppies/plecos/and letting snails breed for 5+ years. They have been purely enjoyment for me and up until about a year ago, I only sold them to local pet stores and people off my local Craigslist when I had too many. I didn't know about Ebay and Aquabid until not too long ago. SO...I decided to talk to some breeders and see how they ship their fish...I've been reading listings on Ebay & Aquabid for a while (Seeing how people list & Ship their fish) .

When I felt comfortable, I decided that I could finally register on Aquabid and try and sell them. I am handicapped now more than I was 5 years ago, and even lifting a 1 gallon bucket is a no go for me. That's why I have to sell off my fish. After I ship out everyone's orders...You will never see or hear from me again. And I rest assured that you guys will be happy to see that this isn't a fake.

And Yes, I did ask for POSTAL Money orders to give yourself a little added protection hoping that you would know that someone would be stupid to mess with the post office. My uncle works for the Post office...I'm not dumb...Nor would I want to live out the rest of my life in a Prison Cell!

joepythons
09-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Ok...So my #1 Question was did you not think me as the seller would see this? I can understand your concern on sending a money order. But why the Hell Would I put myself in a predicament of going to jail? Not only that, You guys know my address after winning the auctions and do you really think I like Confrontation? NOT! And some crazy people would be willing to come to my home if they didn't recieve their stuff and start something...I think I probably would.

Now as for the No-Pickups...I WON'T LET ANYONE IN MY HOME because I am a paranoid Freak after having my cell phone & $150 worth of electronics stolen when I was helping someone get fish. Would you let someone in your home after that? Not only that, I am disabled...I can't protect myself and I just don't trust people that I don't know in my home. I don't even let locals come inside. I ask them what colors of fish they want, bag them, and meet them at the front door.

As for the NO Paypal...THERE FEE'S ARE RIDICULOUS and I'm not paying them! Plus This isn't an everyday fish selling business for me. When I buy things, I always pay with a Money order.

Now...My Question to you...When you were bidding on my fish You saw there was 0/0 Feedback...and that I only accept Money orders...So why did you bid if you had a problem with that?
Honestly...I'm not trying to be rude. I have been breeding guppies/plecos/and letting snails breed for 5+ years. They have been purely enjoyment for me and up until about a year ago, I only sold them to local pet stores and people off my local Craigslist when I had too many. I didn't know about Ebay and Aquabid until not too long ago. SO...I decided to talk to some breeders and see how they ship their fish...I've been reading listings on Ebay & Aquabid for a while (Seeing how people list & Ship their fish) .

When I felt comfortable, I decided that I could finally register on Aquabid and try and sell them. I am handicapped now more than I was 5 years ago, and even lifting a 1 gallon bucket is a no go for me. That's why I have to sell off my fish. After I ship out everyone's orders...You will never see or hear from me again. And I rest assured that you guys will be happy to see that this isn't a fake.

And Yes, I did ask for POSTAL Money orders to give yourself a little added protection hoping that you would know that someone would be stupid to mess with the post office. My uncle works for the Post office...I'm not dumb...Nor would I want to live out the rest of my life in a Prison Cell!
I think you are on the wrong thread :bigthumbsup:

Skiboy
09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
This thread was started June 26th and is NOT about you. But it does show you why we are concerned.

boxermom
09-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Ok...And Yes, I see why everyone is concerned. But when you have 0/0 feedback how do you get 100/100 feedback if nobody's willing to take a chance with you?EVeryone deserves a chance.

lotsoffish
09-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Ok...And Yes, I see why everyone is concerned. But when you have 0/0 feedback how do you get 100/100 feedback if nobody's willing to take a chance with you?EVeryone deserves a chance.
Well honestly we are pretty careful about stuff around here because there have been some very intricate cons pulled here in the past.

As Aquabid members we don't like it when a bunch of folks get ripped off by some crook. So we watch out for other folks.

For example I know more about you than you realize Trisha B. :gickle:

We just check up on new folks that COULD BE running a con. If we don't we never catch them until AFTER they rip off a bunch of folks and then it's too late.

I hope you understand and maybe even appreciate it a little bit. You wouldn't want to get ripped off either would you?

boxermom
09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
HECK NO! Like I said on another post, I was previously ripped off for $162 by a seller that I bought from not on Aquabid but now see he's on Aquabid and has scammed others. That stuff Pisses me off somethin Fierce! I'm just a girl...Lol...Not out to hurt nobody

boxermom
09-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Lol & The little "for example I know more about you than you realize Trisha B. :D or however you make the smiley was kinda CREEPY! LOL That's why I dont let people in my house Hahaha

lotsoffish
09-18-2009, 10:25 AM
HECK NO! Like I said on another post, I was previously ripped off for $162 by a seller that I bought from not on Aquabid but now see he's on Aquabid and has scammed others. That stuff Pisses me off somethin Fierce! I'm just a girl...Lol...Not out to hurt nobody
Well now would be a good time to tell us about that guy who burned you for the 162 bucks.

Who was it? That crook Baylessfishees? :evil:

Skiboy
09-18-2009, 10:43 AM
We all went through this. It's probably best to introduce yourself here before you start listing auctions. Then just list a couple, get a few feedbacks before you hit it hard. I can tell you you lost a lot of money because those auctions would have sold for a great deal more if so many of us more experienced people had not been scared off by all the red lights in your auctions. It's one of the down sides of all the scammers out there, they screw it up for everyone.

lotsoffish
09-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Lol & The little "for example I know more about you than you realize Trisha B. :D or however you make the smiley was kinda CREEPY! LOL That's why I dont let people in my house Hahaha
LOL! I suppose now would be a bad time to tell you what color your house is painted and what type of car you drive. :evil:

Msdevine
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
ok Pete, tell me the color of my house???

Msdevine
09-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I know how u do that, ok, the color of the car I drive PETE.. And If you miss U have to send me some of those Platys you have. The ones in the Picture on the formus yesterday. Waiting,,, I am Honest

boxermom
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
The seller that screwed me is "Codydeanschider" which I am not 100% sure but I think is also "FaMikert" Which started one of the discussions about me. And the reason that I think this is because he tried to bid on one of my fish auctions and I banned him and his name is MIKE which is between the FA & RT in his new screen name. But I could be wrong.

Coryologist
09-18-2009, 02:43 PM
The seller that screwed me is "Codydeanschider" which I am not 100% sure but I think is also "FaMikert" Which started one of the discussions about me. And the reason that I think this is because he tried to bid on one of my fish auctions and I banned him and his name is MIKE which is between the FA & RT in his new screen name. But I could be wrong.
Hi. I have completed 3 transactions with Mike, just in the past few weeks. Except for claiming a few DOA's which I immediately replaced, all went off without a hitch. He is NOT Famikert, who I have also dealt with in the past, but not recently. - Frank

P.S. They are both named, "Mike," but Famikert lives in CA.

Skiboy
09-18-2009, 03:00 PM
ok Pete, tell me the color of my house???
You mean the tanish/white one at the end of Moore street with the fire plug on the right corner of the property?

boxermom
09-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Well Coryologist I am glad everything worked out for you but if you honestly read his feedback you will see I'm not the only one. But since I was off Aquabid when purchasing from him, I couldn't leave feedback.