PDA

View Full Version : Question For Snail Keepers

fishguy_1955
04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I've lately gotten interested in snails (again) and have Spixis, Rams, and various MTS in a cycled, super-filtered holding tank as I prepare their separate domains. Ph is up close to 8 but just to be sure I drop a 600mg calcium carbonate tab in a few times a week. They are eating the tabs! We know that snails are like hogs in terms of having to keep tanks clean with droppings, but this tank is covered with white droppings from their munching the calcium tabs. Since these calcium tabs have no food value I can't figure why they are being consumed. Everybody is way well fed and healthy, and I'm pretty sure they didn't get this idea in invert health class so I'm kinda puzzled. Has anyone else who keeps snails seen this happen?

Paul P.

Msdevine
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
are u selling any Spixis

pdpo222
04-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Yes mine did the same thing. Nothing ever seemed to happen to them. I didn't let it bother me. I don't know if this is what others found out or not. If it bothers you, put the tabs in the outflow of your filter, they will melt and go into the tank that way.

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
04-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Believe they like calcium tabs for their shells. Well, that is what I was told. So if wrong, only repeating what was told. :peace: As when do not add calcium to tanks, every so often, that have snails, the shells are off color.

Also, was not there some type of block thing, for shrimp also for calcium?

fishguy_1955
04-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks all. Actually I'm happy they are so good about taking their calcium, as I'm sure ingesting it they must be leaching some out for shell growth. I was just curious to see if others had noted this behavior as I haven't seen it mentioned online. And Msdevine, judging from the number of egg clusters the spixis are laying I will for sure be selling some in a couple months or so.

Paul P.

Aquaholicman
04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
I use to keep and breed apple snails. I would go out to walmart and buy plain calcium pills and drop one in their tank every so often. You will definetely tell the difference in the shells of snails fed calcium and those that are not.

Msdevine
04-14-2009, 10:51 AM
thanks, yes I use to raise Mystery snail, and sell on here, they will eat anything u put in.. I never did worry about it.. Hey would my shrimp like calcuim pills too? Bad or good for them?

pdpo222
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm real careful about what I do with my shrimp. I sometimes put in a little liquid calcium, but not very often. Don;t know about a tablet though. ss

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
04-14-2009, 12:45 PM
With the liquid calcium instructions say = only use one drop per five gallons per day. But, as I do not do that, they usually only get it twice a week if lucky. That is OK for all critters.

Do not think would use the human tabs for shrimp. Not until I did research on it or asked on the shrimp sites. So far have not found much to kill ram snails except to keep them dry when thinning out. I had been throwing them in the trash. They do dry out and die that way.

Soon will not have to do that, as they will be snacks for what I have coming - :lol: - Might have to smash the MTS but that is OK. As my little puffers can not eat all the extras I have and getting in many tanks.

GenGen
04-14-2009, 12:59 PM
i've also read you can put cuttlebones in tanks for snails to munch on for their shells.. my canna does not do this.. just the abns.. wonder what it will do for them? lol

i do however add liquid calcium to the tank periodically; when i remember to

fishguy_1955
04-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Something to research comes to mind. It seems that the mechanism for obtaining calcium for use in shell building would likely be different when calcium is in the water (as in using liquid calcium) than when the snails actually ingest calcium in their food or directly from a tablet.

Paul P.

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Something to research comes to mind. It seems that the mechanism for obtaining calcium for use in shell building would likely be different when calcium is in the water (as in using liquid calcium) than when the snails actually ingest calcium in their food or directly from a tablet.

Paul P.
Would it be any different for the snails than eating a dead shrimp or a smashed snail? As I do know that what GenGen has mentioned about the cuttlebones has been on the shrimp boards. But really never read it that well to know if or how good it does.

So would the eating of the DOA's be the same as eating the tabs? As I know when have smashed snails for the little puffers sometimes the snails get them before the puffers do.

Looks like I will also need to do more reading on this. Thanks for the insight Paul.

diburning
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
well, the cuttlebone would dissolve slowly into the water. If the snail can get sufficient calcium from the water, they don't have to actually go to the cuttlebone and graze on it to get calcium.

fishguy_1955
04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Soon as I'm not up to my eyeballs in alligators time-wise I'm going to do some serious googling re: How snails acquire the calcium they use in shell building.

Paul P.

If anybody has time for a research project this would be a great one!

Aquaholicman
04-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey Paul I dont know if you have ever been to http://www.applesnail.net/ but there is a lot of helpful information there. If you go to the discussion tab on the left it will take you into the forum.

tallyanna
04-16-2009, 06:46 PM
I have just acquired some Mystery snails in beautiful colors.
So, this post got me to thinking about their calcium requirements and how to meet it.
It just so happens that Uncle Rick had advised me to feed collard greens to my yellow labs.
As I conveniently have some growing in my organic garden, I tried feeding them to all my fish.
Today, while watching to see who was digging the greens, I noticed the Mystery snails scarfing them down.
Collards are high in calcium.
I wonder if feeding them greens will meet their calcium requirements? :thinking:

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
What do you do, blanch it or not? Usually can find it at a store or two around here. Thanks.

tallyanna
04-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi Soft Spot
I do cook it a bit - just throw it into the microwave in some water and let it boil for a couple of minutes.
I left a leaf in one tank at school yesterday - came in this AM and 5 Mystery snails were all over it...

diburning
04-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Up here in New England, we have a chain of supermarkets called Stop and Shop. They sell their own store brand of frozen zuchini. It's par-boiled so you can just defrost and feed since it sinks on it's own.