PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Alaska

boet
08-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

I live on the Kenai Peninsula between the Seward highway and Trail River. We live on a 1 acre lot in a house that we built. The river is in our back yard. We have a soft water well that gives a low KH and a PH that varies seasonally between 6.6 and 7.0.

I was bit by the planted fish tank bug 3 years ago beginning with a baby biorb from my husband and the biorb is now long gone replaced with a 50 gal breeder planted tank with tiny Pristella and Ember tetras, Samurai chocolate gouramis, pygmy corydorus, oto cats, cherry shrimp and assassin snails (and many snails for the assassins to eat)

I also have a 29 gal planted with paleatus corydorus and golden white cloud mountain minnow (cool water tank) 5 gal planted with one red betta named Lupin and a 20 gal high (currently fishless) I just started at my place of work. It will be a hard water tank as the water at work is naturally harder and I hope to purchase baby blue eye rainbows or the least killifish for that tank along with mystery snails.

I live here with my husband, 8 year old retriever mix and my tanks that I love to gaze at. I am a regular subscriber to 3 fish magazines and love to learn all I can. I have dreams of bigger aquariums someday and a outdoor tub pond (if weather would just cooperate)

Hi Everyone! :ciao:

Kathy

yada
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Beautiful country but a tough place to live. I spent a winter on Attu and it was tough, our tents blew away the first night. Anyway werlcome to the forum.

Sit
08-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi Kathy,

I'm also an Alaskan, just stuck in the lower 48 for a while. Ever make it over to Coopers Landing area? I have friends there Frank and Bob, they have the Kenai River Drifters Lodge, just sout and right after the bridge at Kenai Lake. Nice folks. I'm origonally from Anchorage, but have a dream of moving to Kasiloff one day. Just love the Peninnsula! Welcom to the AB family. My daughter lives in Palmer and I send he fish, plants, foods etc.. all the time, so I can pack for the long haul. Need anything, drop me a line and I'll see what I can dig up.
Richard

Swampy
08-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Welcome to AB Kathy.
I also was stationed in Alaska last century during the Cold War.
Kodiak, Adak & Shemya
Rugged but beautiful country.
And another Alaska connection - I recently had the pleasure of shipping driftwood to Wasilla, AK.
Anyway - We're so proud to have ya here with us.

boet
08-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Thank you all for the great welcome! Richard, I do not know Frank and Bob but I know someone who might as he travels and cooks at the lodges around here. I travel to Sterling frequently to visit my Mother so go through Cooper Landing on the way :) I have never been to the other places mentioned but we have gone up to Fairbanks and Circle. I love our drives to Oregon to visit with family but can't afford it too often.

Thank you again, I am sure I will enjoy AquaBoards and Aquabid!

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
10-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Welcome. Been there twice. Once in winter once in summer. Beautiful place. But I like my winters here - more sun :peace: