PDA

View Full Version : Why does track and confirm thru USPS never show anything?

joepythons
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Ok i have had several shipments come from members on aquabid and when they email me shipping info it never shows anything until i get the package.Of course i am NOT blaming the members here.I check the track and confirm in the morning and then at night.Does anyone else have this problem?

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
08-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I would blame that on the out going USPS. As have happened a few times to me. As long as it is clicked when it gets here and I know it is coming that day, I am find with it.

The older person at the one I mail at, when I mail a package, many times just plain forgets to log it in the hand held piece he has.

joepythons
08-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I would blame that on the out going USPS. As have happened a few times to me. As long as it is clicked when it gets here and I know it is coming that day, I am find with it.

The older person at the one I mail at, when I mail a package, many times just plain forgets to log it in the hand held piece he has.
Ah i see :bigthumbsup:.Gotta love those USPS people :rolleyes:

Goober
08-10-2009, 07:16 PM
USPS tracking sucks , plain and simple .
To me all it shows is that a package has been dropped at the PO and it's in transit .

UPS tracking is great , not sure about FedEx .

AmazonMoosey
08-10-2009, 07:33 PM
For me, USPS shows up and it does show tracking.

But I run my orders through USPS, pay online, print the labels and use the scan sheet. The scan sheet, with all your lables listed is what the postal worker scans.

With that - you get up to speed tracking information on your USPS shipments.

Mine will show when they left this town's building, showed up in jackson, left jackson that night, at the next station to the customer etc.

If you don't use the USPS scan sheet - you won't get the detailed information.

here is one of the recent ones.

Delivered WASILLA AK 99654 08/08/09 10:35am

Arrival at Unit WASILLA AK 99654 08/08/09 4:20am

Processed through Sort ANCHORAGE AK 99530 08/07/09 3:52pm
Facility

Processed through Sort ANCHORAGE AK 99530 08/04/09 8:30pm
Facility

Processed through Sort JACKSON MS 39201 08/03/09 10:12pm
Facility

Electronic Shipping UTICA MS 39175 08/03/09 5:15pm
Info Received

Shipment Accepted UTICA MS 39175 08/03/09 3:02pm

Reminder: Track & Confirm by email

Date of email request: 08/03/09

Skiboy
08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Ok i have had several shipments come from members on aquabid and when they email me shipping info it never shows anything until i get the package.Of course i am NOT blaming the members here.I check the track and confirm in the morning and then at night.Does anyone else have this problem?
Well, you should blame the members here because they are being lazy. As Moosey says:
1. Use the USPS site to make labels
2. Use the scan sheet
You can still pay with paypal.
Just use your paypal debit card or paypal plug in - (takes about ten seconds to install to your browser).

Then your tracking will look like this:

Label/Receipt Number: 0103 8555 7496 8659 0885
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item was delivered at 9:43 AM on August 3, 2009 in SAFFORD, AZ 85546.

Detailed Results:

* Delivered, August 03, 2009, 9:43 am, SAFFORD, AZ 85546
* Arrival at Unit, August 03, 2009, 6:28 am, SAFFORD, AZ 85546
* Processed through Sort Facility, August 02, 2009, 10:14 pm, PHOENIX, AZ 85043
* Processed through Sort Facility, August 01, 2009, 10:21 pm, SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152
* Electronic Shipping Info Received, August 01, 2009

I've shipped with UPS twice.
Both times they killed all the fish and both times they were delivered overnight.

Swampy
08-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I just bought some clown loaches and the seller used PayPal shipping.
Paypal emailed me intent to ship with a tracking number which for two days just showed intent to ship every time I tried to get info about it. Nothing else -
I went to the post office and asked them about it and they tracked it saying it was due to arrive the next day which it did.
A postal worker told me a while back that they have better tracking than we can get online.
So if you're worried about progress of a package - just go to the PO and you can get updated shipping information not available to us folks.
My mission now is to get access to their tracking system.
Wonder if a box of donuts and jug of coffee early in the morning will work?

river11
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
If you are receiving items USPS priority, it is a delivery confirmation # not a tracking #. It is more for the benefit of the seller to confirm delivery and not so much a buyer's tool to track a package. I do provide it to customers and the only benefit I see for them is when it says "arrival at unit" it means it's at your PO.

I agree with Ski all my issues have been with UPS at times they are very rough on packages. About 25% of my boxes go out with the brown. That next day ground (300 mile radius) always seems like a good deal. Some of my customers like the browns 2nd day air. I aim to please.
Mike

joepythons
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Ok now i understand.Well when i was breeding snakes i shipped thru FEDEX and i could track that package everywhere it went up till the persons door.I even told one guy to go get his package as they left it at the door.He was like how did you know it was here they never even knocked for me to hear them.Yea i would never ship anything thru UPS they damage everything :thumbsdown:

fishieluvr1
08-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Using USPS tracking has helped me as a buyer since when it shows up at the Monaca PO at 5 something am - I know I need to really watch for the mailman - that is listen for my doggies outside to tell me the mailman is coming down the road :clap: the doggies are very good at that. This helps me meet the mailman (and it is a man for those who prefer PC) and get the package from his hands. With a recent delivery by UPS - I found the box on my porch - didn't even know it was delivered :mad: so the USPS tracking/confirmation has some benefit to the buyer as well as the seller to know what day to expect delivery. :thumbsup: Cheryl

lotsoffish
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
LOL!

Want to know a sure fire way of solving your problem?

Stop checking "Track and Confirm" twice a day and just wait for your box to show up. :gickle:

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
08-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Only check mine in the morning to see if something coming today - grin. Many times a new sub will not ring the doorbell, like regular or the regular sub.

Otherwise just go ahead and leave.

plumvalley
08-11-2009, 08:10 PM
:lol2: I've had stuff delivered, acclimated, and in the tank and usps tracking still says "in transit".

fishieluvr1
08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Well, I check this morning and the tracking said the pkg was at the local PO and this afternoon I had my fishies - so I like it as it helps me know they are coming today. Cheryl :dance: :thumbsup: :tongue:

pdpo222
08-13-2009, 02:12 AM
Talked to the lady at my PO about this exact thing awhile ago. She told me it was to be scanned at each point. That is the reason to have it. I usually know when it is shipped. The post office calls me and I go and get the package. Then when I pick it up they scan it and when I get home it tells me it's there. Customer Service is not a biggie at a lot of places. You guys maybe the dinosaur of customer service. Keep it up!!!!!!!!!

beth
08-13-2009, 09:04 AM
I asked the same thing a week or two ago and was told the opposite. Delivery Confirmation is exactly that. The only time it is absolutely required to be scanned is when it is delivered. On a local level, my Post Office starts getting packages in at 4:30 - 5:00 am, and they try to scan all the Priority packages which have Del. Conf. but they don't always get to them all. It's more important to get the boxes sorted and given to the mail carriers. They usually don't even bother to try to scan any First Class or other mail with Del. Conf. She also told me that at times the hubs are asked to scan everything so the USPS brass can see how well the mail is traveling, but most of the time the hubs also just do what they can, not required, what gets done depends on staffing. I was told if I wanted the package to be scanned at every facility along the way, it would only be done with Express Mail. Full tracking is required with Express, and ONLY Express. The lag in time between when the package is scanned and when the info is available online is because the hand held scanners are not wireless, they need to be hooked up to a computer for the info to be downloaded.

I've noticed a decrease in how often packages are scanned along the way. Outgoing, most are scanned in Nashua NH if they are going to fly, some are not scanned again until delivered. Incoming, I have had them scanned at the PO if postage is bought at the counter and not scanned again until they go through my PO. Other times a package coming from the same place is scanned at the two hubs which it passes through.

AmazonMoosey
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Beth, do you use the scan sheet?

Whether I take into the post office 1 or 10, all packages are listed on the scan sheet. The USPS worker only has to do one scan then and can get the packages sorted for heading out.

This saves the postal worker time with doing only the one scan, saves me time as when they see "The Ambit" in line - they move us to the front as the work is already done.

Later that day, I get the email of all the packages that were on the scan sheet, with the customers' information, the tracking # etc

Here's the scan sheet of the shipment I did for Swampy for his Political Forum Contest.

Acct #: XXXXXXX

Dear GAIL WEBBER:

This is an email confirmation for your order of 2 online shipping label(s) with postage. Your credit card will be charged the following amount:

Transaction Number: 1468XXXXX
Print Date/Time: 08/11/2009 02:04 PM CDT
Postage Amount: $18.32
Credit Card Number: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Delivery Confirmation™ # 0703 8555 7491 XXXX XXXX (Sequence Number 1 of 2)
Shipped to: KXXXX SXXXXXX
(customer’s address here)
(Town/State here) XXXXX-1914

Delivery Confirmation™ # 0703 8555 7491 XXXX XXXX (Sequence Number 2 of 2)
Shipped to: customer’s name here
(customer’s address here)
(Town/State here) XXXXX-1436

For further information, please log on to www.usps.com/clicknship and go to your Shipping History or visit our Frequently Asked Questions .

other information for the shipper here ...

From what I have learned doing labels through usps themselves, it saves time for me, the postal worker and saves wear and tear on the buyer regarding their shipment as it does show transit movement along the way.

Just a suggestion - and not only directed at you. :peace: But you already knew that.. Good to see you in the forums again!