PDA

View Full Version : I've been watching you...

Dansfish
08-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Howdy everyone.

I've been lurking in these forms for quite a while now, so I guess it's well past time to get all sociable and introduce myself. My wife told me the other day that lurking is akin to stalking, so I decided it was time to stop lurking. My name is Dan Hodnett...Fishkillie is my aquabid ID, partly because I've killed my share of fish as I've progressed in this hobby, but mostly because I like killies. Actually, I like all small freshwater aquarium fishes, but I started this hobby with killies, so I tend to always have a few around.

I'm a hobbiest, pure and simple. I enjoy breeding fish and I usually don't keep anything unless I'm trying to breed it. I do this because it is fun. If it ever stops being fun, I'll stop, but it has
been fun for about 16 years now, so I don't anticipate the fun stopping any time soon.

A while ago, I got sick of heating my tanks. I've been keeping a lot of temperate species (or is the correct term "subtropical"?). It's been a whole new world for me, but I'm learning quickly. I absolutely love not paying the heating bill. The only drawback is that in the winter, your hands get real cold when you are messing around with the fishjavascript:insert_text(':cold:',%20'');.

I working on my PhD at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and the weather here is ideal for temperate species. We do get a few hot days a year, but it is generally nice and cool. I've also got a wife and two little kids, so I don't have time for a big operation. I just have one rack in the house with 20's, 5.5's, and 10's and 2 racks out on the patio with 40, 55, 60, and 100 gallon tanks. Right now I am breeding:

-Fundulopanchax gardneri "Makurdi" red-nice, big, colorful gardneri.

-Fundulopanchax gresensi-my "Godfather Jim Forshey fo the Aquatic Bookshop gave me a few pairs of these when I was 14, so I got them again for sentimental reasons.

-Fundulus catenatus-also called the Northern Studfish. These are BIG, beautiful, awesome fish. I don't for the life of me know why more people don't breed them. I collected 40 eggs from them this morning. Did I mention they are beautiful...I guess a lot of killie people only have small, poorly filtered tanks, or just mason jars, so the Fundulus are out of the question for them. Obviously, I love them.

-Rainbow Shiners, Cahaba strain-If you've ever seen these, you know they put cardinal tetras to shame...they are that stunning.

-Scarlet Shiners (Lythrurus fasciolaris)-Big, beautiful shiners...I haven't got them to breed yet though, any advice?

-Aphyosemion striatum-I have a million babies growing out. They are pretty, but I can't wait until I can sell them all to make space for something else.

-Orange Throated Darters (Etheostoma spectabile)-Awesome personality, awesome color, tons of fun. They breed like rabbits, well, they would if rabbits were egg-laying fish.

-Girardinichthys multiradiatus-I finally found a source for these today. I don't have them yet, but I can't wait. I think they will be very happy out on my cool, shady patio. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with them, as this will be my first crack at this awesome fish.

I also have some unidentified hillstream loaches I got from BlueRam about a year ago, a few Characidium rachovii (awesome fish!), and some white clouds that I use as dithers. That's about it, except for a few bags of peat moss with some Nothobranchius rachovii "MOZ 09-4 Quelimane" (My favorite rachovii) and Simpsonichtys flammeus "Nova Roma". I also have a few crystal red and cherry shrimp that I use to keep incubating eggs from fungusing and fry tanks clean.

That's about it folks. Glad to finally meet you all.

Dan Hodnett

oneSockShort
08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi Dan, welcome to the boards

nice selection of fish, just how big do Fundulus catenatus get? are they mop spawners?

would they get along with darters?

Swampy
08-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Welcome Dan -
The UC system is top notch.
I took a few geology classes at UCSC way back last century.
Back then we could just get a book and sit in the classes ...
No credit - just getting a little unofficial education.
I remember when the student body voted the Banana Slug as the school mascot.
I remember some strange looking crawfish crawling around in the creeks of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Do you keep any of them western clawed critters?

Dansfish
08-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks guys,

Swampy, I used to play with those crawdads when I was a kid. I'm not going to tell you if I have any now, however, as it is illegal to keep native California critters in California (I still don't get why).

oneSockShort, to answer your questions: The Fundulus get 8-9 inches and they are a powerful fish . . . lots of muscle and they need room to cruse around in. In the wild, as I understand it, they spawn over sand/gravel beds. I use a bare tank with bottom mops. The eggs are not very adhesive, so you have to be sure to check the bottom of the tank for eggs as well as the mop. The parents don't seem to eat them. I don't know if they can. The eggs are HUGE and are very tough. I pick the eggs and incubate them in egg tumblers like you would for mouth-brooding cichlids. Or, if all my egg tumblers are full, I put the eggs in a tank with crystal red or cherry shrimp. They keep the eggs clean until they hatch and they don't bother the fry. I know people who water incubate them in small containers like most killie keepers do, but I've never had much luck with any killie eggs (except maybe Aplo. panchax) using that method. I can't even water incubate gardneri in small containers. I guess I'm just too lazy to change the water often enough and they always fungus on me in those butter dishes. The Fundulus do fine with the darters, providing the darters are full grown. They'd eat small darters in a heartbeat. I house my BIG breeding Fundulus males with my breeding colony of adult Orange Throat Darters, and everyone gets along just fine. Of course, they are in a 100 gallon tank, so their is plenty of room for everyone and lots of flower pots for the darters to hang out in/on.

76trapper
08-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Welcome from another killi nut, I had some of those Studfish several years ago with no luck.awesome though.

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
10-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Welcome, most times I forget to do this forum.

OldTanks
01-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Very nice people here, where everyone is just like family.

Feel free to post your questions to the forums, and photos to the gallery.

Msdevine
01-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the forum, have fun.

Coryologist
01-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey Dan. Welcome. That group of Characidium rachovii that I got from you are doing great, but I'd love to add a few more. Also, Rosario LaCorte has been here a few times in the last 2 months and has fallen in love with that fish. I'd love to give him a small group as a gift, as he recently brought me 3 S. macropterus.

Please LMK if you have any to sell or trade.

Be very, very afraid, here. Unlike myself. most of these folks are bat-crap crazy. :-) - Frank :tycoon: :bigboss:

GenGen
01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
we have a gallery? boy my minds been off some where dark and damp and.. oh wait.. new member, *cough* Welcome! :) I was born in National city calif.. dad was navy yup.. wasn't there long enough to be a real californian though.. i was only there a year.. does that count? lol can't wait to see pics of your fish!! :)

Gail

zoogrrl
01-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the looney bin! If you've been stalking the boards you already know how amusing it is around here.

Sheri

GenGen
01-15-2010, 10:35 PM
stalking is everyone's 2nd job here lol

Mr. Chips
01-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Its ok to lurk as long as you are not peeping into windows.

GenGen
01-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Its ok to lurk as long as you are not peeping into windows.
but if you do take notes, sketches, pics.. movie rights.. you know.. the magazine centerfold spread....:angel: