PDA

View Full Version : Proxy Bidding - Why Would You Want it To Show Others You Raised Bids?

AmazonMoosey
09-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Actually it does. It did to me when I upped Pete's auction last week. - Frank

What? I was sure it didn't mine when I upped some proxy bids just not that long ago. You made me go check.

Ugh - it's showing up on my bid on one of your auctions.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishc&1254192559

Mark - this is from a conversation in the cafe on auctions.

What's with auctions showing you raise your proxy bid? That's no good - people will know then when you up your proxy. Why would one want others to know you upped your proxy bid?

All that will do is tell people (without words) you want the auction item, that you put in a high proxy and they won't bid as high figuring you already did a extremely high proxy.

How is that beneficial for the Seller?

Or am I missing something? That could easily be true - me missing something. But I don't think so in this case.

Half the fun IMO, of auctions is not knowing the other person's actions, what they are thinking and doing with bidding. Telling others of a raised proxy bid takes that completely away.

The other half of the fun, IMO is the Buyer thinks the auction belongs to "him" - he possesses it. The proxy bid shown takes that away from the Buyers.

IMO, proxy bid raising shown on the auction jeopardizes for the Sellers getting the highest price possible.

I don't think it should show anyone upping their proxy bid.

marli
09-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Agreed.

~marli

AmazonMoosey
09-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Here is a perfect example of why.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfishc&1254192559

Sorry Frank - it was the only auction I am bidding on I could prove the point with. You can pull out the chair and clobber me in the Cafe if this has done you injustice.

Mark -

Being able to put an auction on the Hot List (which I THOUGHT was supposed to represent an item multiple people are interested in purchasing - not just one person) via only proxy bids of one person is just flat out screwy.

Even past being screwy, I honestly think it does an injustice for Sellers that do work hard and offer items for auction that multiples of people are really interested in.

Okay, now you can all take a number and clobber me for my opinion or how I stated my opinion. I however get to select which number gets to go first..... :tongue:

fishboy23
09-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I think it has to do with the number of bids placed, which is something recorded and displayed. Every time a bid is placed, the bid count increases, regardless of who made the bid (even if it's the high bidder). If you click that "place bid" button, the bid count jumps up because a bid was placed, whether it's the high bid or not.
Now imagine you bump up your proxy 5 times. Auction has 5 bids, it's HOT! But if there was only one bid/bidder recorded in the bid history, you'd go "huh? there's only 1 bid here". But if it shows in the bid history whenever you bump up your proxy, you'd see your name 5 times, and it would make sense.
That's how I see it anyway.

oneSockShort
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
college kids... sheesh!

i'm thinking the software is set up to show each "new" bid. upping your proxy is a new bid.

can it be changed so that the leading bidder upping his bid don't show up? sure!
is Mark willing to do it? well, wait and see

oneSockShort
09-20-2009, 04:49 PM
by the way Gary... you'd think with that vast amount of knowledge you is paying for....
you could help your club find a weekend to hold their show that doesn't conflict with the MKA show or that Notre Dammit bell ringer thing

that way you could hop a jet in Indy, have a limo meet you at the airport and stay at a suite at the holiday inn so you would be
here on sunday for the auction.... and you could use your student loan money to pay for it all! now, how great is that!!!

lotsoffish
09-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Are you people bored today or what?

Proxy bid raises have always been shown this way.

What's the big deal?

Not only that, nobody knows what the actual proxy bid is or what the person raised the proxy to.

For example. Moosey may have only raised her proxy by 1 buck both times she raised it just to scare other bidders off.

It's a non issue.

marli
09-20-2009, 06:04 PM
We are bored. Well, I am. NOONE IS TALKING TO ME IN PURG CHAT!! What the HELL is that about?

MEEPS!! WAKE UP!! ENTERTAIN ME!!

Yeah, I'm bored. What about it?

Smiles, marli

fishboy23
09-20-2009, 06:24 PM
by the way Gary... you'd think with that vast amount of knowledge you is paying for....
I haven't paid a cent to Purdue for tuition and don't plan on it. The vast amount of BS knowledge I have obtained is perfectly free.

you could help your club find a weekend to hold their show that doesn't conflict with the MKA show or that Notre Dammit bell ringer thing
Dang Notre Dame...after yesterday, at least now I know that watching the game Saturday night is a lost cause for us...we can't even beat Northern Illinois and Jimmy Clausen has the arm that will rip apart our already non-existent secondary. Thus, I will be home for our show.

that way you could hop a jet in Indy, have a limo meet you at the airport and stay at a suite at the holiday inn so you would be
here on sunday for the auction.... and you could use your student loan money to pay for it all! now, how great is that!!!
Help me out here, I forgot...what's your credit card number and 3-digit security code again? expiration date? billing address? When I get your email with the above information...consider me there! :yeah:

P.S. I really dont know why our clubs can't figure out how to hold their shows on two separate weekends. Next year, just make sure to hold your show when ND plays Purdue, cuz that's a home game for ND.
P.P.S. If you don't feel like paying for a plane ticket and all, just ship me a pair of mahdiaensis after the show and it'll be like I was there, I promise. :whistle:

AmazonMoosey
09-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Are you people bored today or what?

I'm not bored at all. It's screwy to be able to get it an auction on a hot list with just proxy bids. That's even screwier than showing there was a proxy bid made.

Hey! I took pictures of my upcoming winter meals - did you see em? :bigthumbsup:

Skiboy
09-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Plus, why would you knock your item onto the hot list with proxy bids? Everyone knows that page views go way up for items on the hot list. Just bump your proxy in the last two minutes like a snipe.

lotsoffish
09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey! I took pictures of my upcoming winter meals - did you see em? :bigthumbsup: [/b]
OK. Let's see them.

Swampy
09-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Hey! I took pictures of my upcoming winter meals - did you see em? :bigthumbsup: [/b]
OK. Let's see them.

Goodnite Pete -
:yawn:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/amazonmoosey/catz/MVC-515F.jpg

AmazonMoosey
09-23-2009, 08:53 AM
I just upped my proxy bid on one of the auctions I am bidding on - and there is nothing in the bidding section that shows that I did.

Sure, you can sit on each auction and figure it out if someone did up a proxy - if that's the way you wanna spend your time - is fine with me. That's personal choice and doesn't do any harm to a Seller the way the proxy bids were showing up before, IMO, were hurting sellers.

There is no glaring message on the bidding sections now that say "Hey GUYS! I upped my proxy so stay off my auction!" any more.

:bigthumbsup: Looks a ton better now, :bigboss::type: ! Good job.

http://www.agentcv.com/demo/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/auction-cartoon.gif

lotsoffish
10-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Dear Mark Barnett,

I do not like the way this auction is going. I can not tell whether AmazonMoosey is increasing her proxy bids or not.

It is ruining the entire experience for me and I would appreciate it if you would kindly cancel the entire auction for me. I know longer wish to sell these fish tonight. :gickle:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcatfish&1254793160#HIST

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
10-05-2009, 12:45 PM
:rofl:

Nice, glad I got mine last year, so now all of you can fight over them :popcorn:

lotsoffish
10-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey Moosey?

I bet if folks would have seen you were doubling down on your proxy's today they would been to timid to chase that auction tonight. :gickle:

AmazonMoosey
10-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey Moosey?

I bet if folks would have seen you were doubling down on your proxy's today they would been to timid to chase that auction tonight. :gickle:
LOL Yeah gickle - but I had fun THIS WAY- would have liked those L10A's- but it was past my budgeted monies. The other way just wasn't fun or right.

You had to really watch the auction to see what I was doing - no more "Hey Look everyone! Moosey is bidding more monies on Lot's fish!"

Sides, now that's 3 nice things I have done for you. :tongue: You are so far behind now, you will never ever catch up to me! :lol2:

Now just admit it, Pete. The auctions look hellova lot better now. :tongue:

[/b]

fishieluvr1
10-05-2009, 08:58 PM
So did you win one of Pete's auctions Moosey - which one. I like his auctions too - he gots great fishies :thumbsup:

AmazonMoosey
10-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Nah - I didn't win - I counted my bills and checked my pennies and topped out what I could go. Win some - lose some - is the way of auctions. The fun way, but definitely the way of em.

Pete just wanted to let everyone know that AmazonMoosey was bidding on HIS auctions - for a change! :rofl:

fishieluvr1
10-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I know how that is - there were 2 that I was interested in - but the budget said no go - so we just wait till next time and keep our sniping fingers ready :tongue:

lotsoffish
10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Pete just wanted to let everyone know that AmazonMoosey was bidding on HIS auctions - for a change! :rofl:

No, Pete just wanted to get his page views up and hopefully score some last minute bids because his auctions were off line three days cuz Aquabid was lost in The Twilight Zone all weekend. :gickle:

lotsoffish
10-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Sides, now that's 3 nice things I have done for you. :tongue: You are so far behind now, you will never ever catch up to me! :lol2:

1. I still have a link to your website and your just me page in my just me page.

2. I haven't called you a Nazi in well over 4 years.

3. I didn't let Barnett use your cell phone at OCA, to call those 900 sex numbers , like he was thinking about doing when he found your cell phone you abandoned when you were all jacked up on Tequila.

AmazonMoosey
10-05-2009, 10:30 PM

1. I still have a link to your website and your just me page in my just me page.

2. I haven't called you a Nazi in well over 4 years.

3. I didn't let Barnett use your cell phone at OCA, to call those 900 sex numbers , like he was thinking about doing when he found your cell phone you abandoned when you were all jacked up on Tequila.
LOL!!! Geez, what are you doin' walkin down memory lane alone? Don't you know that's dangerous? laughing

1. I still have your link on my webpage. And, your dinkin name is in the banner on my email that I send out to every Tomica, Dickiea and Henrietta.

2. No, you choose other words now since I chewed your tail end off, spit it out and refused to sign your Green Card. Oh yeah, and not talk to you for a very very long time. My talking to you once more is nicer than yours of stopping not being nice. :tongue:

3. And you STILL owe me 1500.00 for wanting my cell phone #. LOL See? If you had paid up the monies you promised to get my cell phone # from Trakker, when I was out having FUN - I could have afforded your fish!

LOL ANd I do love my tequila. Fishthoughts bought me margaritas. He's a very nice man, don't you agree? :gickle

Face it, Lots - we have known each other too damn long. You need to become Petals again so we have something new to talk about. lol We are the ying and yang of nonharmonic music.

Hey lookit this! since I have your attention. And be Petals and NICE for a bit would you, you NY minute. His bristles are feathers.

http://www.amazonmoosey.com/images/fish/oct09/FuzzyFace.jpg

It's really beautiful in the tanks. Canna see how it flows in a still pic.

Now Say GoodNight Moosey that was way too long of a drink of water...