PDA

View Full Version : Hi from SC (And a question)

sterling1
10-04-2009, 09:34 AM
:ciao:

Hi all.

I am new to this hobby (Sounds like it is also an addiction for most)

We got our first Bettas last week. Seems like the more I learn the more I spend but I'm sure enjoying them so far.

After comparing my Pet store stock to the beauties om Aqua Bid...well I am ready to purchase more.

Does anyone know why Aqua Bid is not accepting new registrations to bid?

Guess it is a good thing i haven't been able to bid....Hubby asked me yesterday "Hun, just exactly how much are you planning on spending on those three dollar fish?":lol2:

ANyway nice meeting you all. I look forward to learning more here.

Diane

AmazonMoosey
10-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Welcome to the forums. At present, Mark Barnett the owner took off instant registration due to some iddjuts who like to create havoc. Try emailing him at Mark@Aquabid.com - and letting him know your intents.

Give that a try for now.

sterling1
10-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks! I will do that.
Funny how it only takes a few idiots to ruin it for everyone...:rolleyes:
Diane

Emailed him and am hoping to hear something soon...

AmazonMoosey
10-04-2009, 10:21 AM
It does throw some grit in the grease, doesn't it. Don't let it color you sour on the auctions or the forums though.

There is a great group of people here after all is said and done!

Msdevine
10-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Welcome to AB, Diane, And yes it is addicting...

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
10-04-2009, 11:36 AM
It is very addicting. But oh is it worth it for the quality of critters, and I say critters as not all what I have are fish. Is a dwarf aquatic frog a fish or is it a critter? Well, lets just say fish - and what one gets is like opening Christmas packages during the year.

Welcome.

Skiboy
10-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Be careful on the Betta bids though.
If the seller is overseas there are a lot more charges than meet the eye.
Ask here before you bid if you are not sure you understand everything.

sterling1
10-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the advice! I did happen to notice that most of them end up charging for shipping.heat packs,boxes etc. etc. I was shocked when I added one up it ended up being over 50.00 for ONE fish! The closest trans shipper to me is near Atlanta. I would gladly pay her shipping before braving that traffic!

I may try to find a breeder close to home....

I did notice the trans shipper also sells off the ones that weren't paid for...

Diane

sterling1
10-07-2009, 07:31 AM
:clap:

YAY...I got my account. Now where is the section for stupid Questions???

ANyone have any pointers as far as transhippers etc.?

I am starting to set up tanks. I have read and there is a ton of information about that BUT...not a whole lot about local breeders with stock for sale .
Not much about shipping from oversea etc.

Looks like the shipper closest to me is in Atlanta (As I said) BUT after a few emails to her I have given up that route. Looks like I will have to call her.

I want to raise Bettas BUT I refuse to breed my pet quality fish. I am going to find the best pair I can afford.

SO I guess my question is where do I start to look?

Anyone aware of breeders in the US with quality bettas?

If not any information on shipping would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in Advance,
Diane

Skiboy
10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
If I were you I would avoid the overseas Betta for a while. It takes some practice before you get the whole fish breeder mojo on so I would start with fish that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Keep your eye on the Betta section, there are some domestic breeders with nice fish. You may also want to look into some of the wild ones Lotsoffish and others are auctioning.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettas

If you can get some of those going you have a nice stock that will sell well. You may also want to send an email to RMC. A while back he sent me some very nice Bettas, you never know what he has unless you ask as he does not run many auctions.

sterling1
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks!
I really appreciate the tip on what sells well. I am surprised as the "other" Bettas seem much fancier etc. I really like the Half Moons..

Sorry if I sound dumb here...Who is RMC?

Diane

ETA: OK now you did it....I checked your auction link. REALLY liking those Guppies! Maybe I should start with something simpler??? I had guppies when I was a kid and ended up having so many that every kid in the neighborhood ended up with an aquarium full...

Shoot , now I am rethinking everything :gickle::coffee:

Skiboy
10-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Diane
The better question is WHERE is RMC and what has the impostor inhabiting his body done with him.

At the top of the page in the blue stripe you will see the word "messages" between "Profile" and "logout". Click that, then click send new message. In the field "TO" type RMC then send him a note. RMC is one of the foremost sellers at aqua bid and he has all sorts of fish we never hear about because like god, he works in mysterious ways.

Skiboy
10-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks, Guppies are real easy to breed but a lot of fun too. Less frustrating than egg layers and a good place to start. Do you have live plants for the babies to hide in?

sterling1
10-07-2009, 01:43 PM

Diane
The better question is WHERE is RMC and what has the impostor inhabiting his body done with him.

because like god, he works in mysterious ways.
:lol2:

As far as plants, I am starting from scratch. I bought some beautiful plants (AT the #%@&* pet store) and ended up with an established tank that was infested with these tiny VERY PROLIFIC snails....

Soooo, am planning on buying some from individuals. I have already ordered the Almond leaves from overseas....guess I can always re-sell those. Or trade someone for plants. What are the best for Guppy fry?

Diane

marli
10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Hiya, and welcome. A quick thought on those prolific snails: you will probably find that most sellers' plants come with tag alongs, either snails or eggs. It's just the nature of the game. I love snails, cause I've got a tribe of clown loaches that suck them down like Pez. But if you are dealing with small tanks that can't handle loaches, squash those buggers against the glass and watch what the fish do. YUMMMMY! Or, send them to ME!!

...begin hijack...NOW:
~waves at ski~

Did you get my text?
...end hijack...NOW
Welcome to the funny farm, sterling.

~marli

sterling1
10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Hiya, and welcome. A quick thought on those prolific snails: you will probably find that most sellers' plants come with tag alongs, either snails or eggs. It's just the nature of the game. I love snails, cause I've got a tribe of clown loaches that suck them down like Pez. But if you are dealing with small tanks that can't handle loaches, squash those buggers against the glass and watch what the fish do. YUMMMMY! Or, send them to ME!!

...begin hijack...NOW:
~waves at ski~

Did you get my text?
...end hijack...NOW

~marli
Too funny! I feel right at home now. (The funny farm huh...sounds like fun!)

My tanks are 10 gal. I do wish I had posted this earlier....Crap I just trashed all my plants,gravel and well over 100 tiny snails(Per tank):whistle:(Not to mention all the eggs...I was concerned about the Bettas eating the shells...Like I said I am a newbie so big Duh Huh for me I guess...

I would have gladly shared the little guys with anyone that would take them(Postage paid by me!)

Diane

marli
10-07-2009, 02:45 PM

...begin hijack...NOW:
~waves at ski~

Did you get my text?
...end hijack...NOW

~marli
Too funny! I feel right at home now. (The funny farm huh...sounds like fun!)

My tanks are 10 gal. I do wish I had posted this earlier....Crap I just trashed all my plants,gravel and well over 100 tiny snails(Per tank):whistle:(Not to mention all the eggs...I was concerned about the Bettas eating the shells...Like I said I am a newbie so big Duh Huh for me I guess...

I would have gladly shared the little guys with anyone that would take them(Postage paid by me!)

Diane
There is always next time. Trust me, there WILL be a next time. Snails are nothing if not repeat visitors.

10 gallon works for plants, bettas, guppies, and snails (among other things, but this is what has been mentioned thus far), but it's not good for clown loaches. I'm hoping one day to get a tank twice the size of my biggest (right now a 75g) for my clowns to wander around in. I'm also hoping to sprout wings and fly one day, too! I'll keep ya posted on both events.

~marli

sterling1
10-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Done deal...next time you will be getting snails.

I am bidding on some pretty apple snails. I really don't mind snails these just took over FAST.

Now I am looking at guppies. They sound like a safer bet. I have two little girls that love the aquariums and I didn't even think about them "seeing the Bettas " breeding...I can just hear the crying about the girl getting beat up....YIKES.

So, I'm buying 2 2.5 gallon tanks and using the tens for guppies and snails.

Sounds like a better way to start. I can already tell that this is going to be an addiction for me too:v8:

Diane

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
10-07-2009, 03:17 PM
If you are getting the apple/Briggs snails. When they breed, take them off the tops of the tanks if you do not want to be over run with them. Those are easy to control that way.

Here is a good site for snails http://www.applesnail.net/

If you get guppies they really do like smashed snails for a snack. Almost every fish I have love them. The darters jump up and down for theirs.

Welcome and have fun.

sterling1
10-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks I enjoyed the snail site.

They sound easier to control. The ones I had had eggs EVERYWHERE.

I am looking at some pretty pink or maybe some purple ones....Depends on what I win LOL
Diane