PDA

View Full Version : CPO Breeders..a little help please!

Mossfreak
10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
So I have a nice little colony of 8 CPOS and have had a problem with my last 4 berried females. The first 2 I left in the heavily planted tank with many driftwood hideouts. The crays both lost their babies somewhere never to be seen in the tank to this day. The next 2 I isolated in a 10 gallon tank by themselves. They gradually lost the eggs or babies but I never saw any in the tank(which I kept bare to observe the young). Any help with what I am doing wrong?? Any help will be appreciated. Chuck

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
10-08-2009, 10:31 AM
bump

reticulata
01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Apparently you did not get your answer. And I don't have one either. I have eight different shrimp in eight tanks and they're all pretty prolific except my blues. The females are always berried but I never find any little critters. Two small corys and some pond snails, graveled and heavily planted with lots of java moss. These I have in a smaller tank than the others. A six gallon Eclipse with peat pellets in the built in filter and a sponge filter. The intake tube is double wrapped with screens to avoid sucking little ones up. Lots of varied food. It's a puzzler.

:dizzy:

Mossfreak
01-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Reticulata..thanks for digging up my old post. Your set- up is the same as mine..exactly. I see berried females constantly but never any little guys. I also breed other shrimps easily, but never the CPO's. Everything else in the fish room breeds, but I can't conquer these. Oh well. Chuck

kush
01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Have you checked your hardness? My KH out of the tap is about 0.5 dKH. The tanks that I put crushed coral in the canisters always seem to be more prolific than the ones I don't. I also dose all my tanks monthly with iodine. (But I don't breed crays).

reticulata
01-09-2010, 10:15 PM
My hardness is 1 on the GHS. On top of that I even put peat pellets in nylon stockings in my exterior filters. Also have bogwood in my tanks. PH runs about 6.8. I just thought it was unusual to have all but one tank prolific. I did see a small pond snail hanging on the bottom front of one of my berried females about a week ago. Carefully knocked it off with a long blade. That didn't look good.

:grrr:

kush
01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Just remember, the shrimp have to build their shells out of something - at less than 3 degrees of hardness you might consider supplementing some calcium and trace.

reticulata
01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Interesting Kush. The thought never crossed my mind. I have been too concerned about soft water and low PH for inducing breeding. So will calcium bring the PH up as well as hardening the water?

lotsoffish
01-10-2010, 11:29 PM
I have never worked with any Dwarf Orange Crayfish but here are some things I do know about them from talking with a few folks that have. They tend to like alkaline water so many folks feel they can not be kept with shrimp that are acclimated to soft acidic water. I have also heard they seem to breed better in cooler water than in warm water.

One thing I think I would do with them is I would keep some sand in their tank. Even if it's only half the tank. I don't think it is a good idea to keep any shrimp or crayfish over glass. They never look happy over glass to me and it seems like they expend a lot of energy attempting to move around on glass. Perhaps the adults will not carry their young to full term over glass either.

I know I have been talking about those Oak leaves a lot lately but I believe they might help to provide food for Dwarf Orange Crayfish plus they would make great hiding places for those CPO's especially if you rolled them up. -

kush
01-11-2010, 05:38 AM
I ...So will calcium bring the PH up as well as hardening the water?
Not exactly. Raising your kH, or carbonate hardness, increases the buffering capacity of the water, which doesn't so much raise pH as makes it harder to lower it. Just as an example, my water out of the tap is pH 7.1 and KH ~1dKH and after a week in an aquarium with an active biological filter the pH and KH might be 6.2 and ~0. If I add a cup of crushed coral to the canister filter (knotted in one of my wife's old nylons), after a week my pH is still nearly 7.0 and my KH is about 3dKH. I can inject CO2 to lower the pH even more (or add Pete's oak leaves) but that won't effect the carbonate hardness (much).

Aside from any question of exoskeletal development, the pH swings themselves have to be hard on the developing crays (and anything else) and that could be the answer to why your young are disappearing. You might test your water at tap and tank and see if I'm on target. I've never had crays but I've been raising neocaridina sps. for ten years. Aside from the crushed coral, I dose with iodine at the rate of about 1 tsp per 100 gallons monthly.