PDA

View Full Version : Ramshorn Snails

KillerFishies
10-24-2009, 01:15 PM
We've decided on blue ramshorn snails. We're wondering if we have to quarantine them for a month in case of parasitic flukes, or if thats just with red ramshorns?

Coryologist
10-24-2009, 01:56 PM
We've decided on blue ramshorn snails. We're wondering if we have to quarantine them for a month in case of parasitic flukes, or if thats just with red ramshorns?
I've been keeping Red Ramshorns for years. I have never seen any flukes. - F.

KillerFishies
10-24-2009, 02:36 PM
But as a precaution we were planning to quarantine the red ramshorns if we got them. Do we need to do the same with blue ramshorns as a precaution?

Coryologist
10-24-2009, 02:47 PM
But as a precaution we were planning to quarantine the red ramshorns if we got them. Do we need to do the same with blue ramshorns as a precaution?
Geez - I honestly don't know if it's necessary, but you could just follow the, "better safe than sorry," model. - F.

Crackedglass
10-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Good luck with keeping red rams horns in quarantine, they kinda go where they want ....... or should I say Pop up where they want .....LOL

anura630
10-24-2009, 07:46 PM
They are both just color morphs of the same snail, so if you are concerned about the red ones.....

KillerFishies
10-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Good luck with keeping red rams horns in quarantine, they kinda go where they want ....... or should I say Pop up where they want .....LOL
No worries for now of snails popping up in our betta jars. And if we quarantine the snails they would get their own jar for a month. / When I google "ramshorn snails parasitic flukes" I get a lot of results specific to red ramshorns. Thats why we're wondering if it's particular to red ramshorns.

Crackedglass
10-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Friend do what makes you feel better, but I am 100% agreement with Frank (that don't happen everyday :grin)........ In over 30 years of fish keeping I have never seen a ramshorn spread anything ........... but like I said if it makes you feel safer, do it ..........

yada
10-25-2009, 02:15 PM
I been raising and selling ramshorn for years and have heard or seen nothing about it until now. But if you'r worried quaranteen them.