PDA

View Full Version : WildPERU Introduction

WildPERU
11-13-2009, 10:15 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Brian Perkins, owner and director of WildPERU, expedition outfitter and exporter from Puerto Maldonado, Peru. Our main focus is the habitats & biotopes of Southern Peru and N. Bolivia with particular interest in the hillstream areas of the Andean foothills. We provide custom collecting tour/ research expedition planning and guide services with full export capabilities to everyone from private individuals to Universities.

While I work to get my new website functioning, if you have an interest in finding out more about WildPERU, feel free to contact me directly @ Brian.perkins@rocketmail.com

Best Wishes,

Brian Perkins
WildPERU

lotsoffish
11-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Hello Brian.

I have heard about your collecting trips through a couple of Killie guys. . :bigthumbsup:

Been collecting any hillstream stuff recently?

WildPERU
11-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Hello Brian.

I have heard about your collecting trips through a couple of Killie guys. . :bigthumbsup:

Been collecting any hillstream stuff recently?

Lotsa!

We will make several visits to Hillstream habitats in the coming year. 2010 is looking like a busy year for us. In Feb. We are going to the "Pampas del Heath"-one of the last natural wet savannas in S. America and the only one of it's type on Peru. Most of these have been converted to grazing land for cattle, so this is a very special place filled with unique wildlife. We will collect with cameras only, since this in a national park. However, outside the park, the Rio Heath holds promise for some interesting collecting opportunities for fish, plants and special driftwood!! You'll notice on your map of Peru that the river forms the border between Peru and Bolivia. From there we head to the Andean foothills into a cloud forest area of pristine richness. Feb. Is near the end of the wet season, although in this region you have two seasons- wet and wetter! Haha! This month is peak season for orchid flowering/ viewing. You can see orchids flowering here all year, but the months of Jan. Feb. And March are "primetime". We will collect Cory. weitzmani, teniente and search new streams for hillstream characins such as Attonius spp., Hyphess. nigricinctus, Astroblephid and Chaetostoma cats and many others. Combining great fishing, herping, birding and amazing flora, and you have a trip rich in prospects!

In May we are walking the Inca Trail to Machhu Pichu with clients from Canada, then descending through this same cloud forest from the Altiplano to the Amazon covering each bio-region in detail from 3500m elevation down to 300m!

In June, we are guiding customers from New York on a trip hiking in two days with mules to look into an area of forest near to Manu National Park that has never been collected. Here we will see Spectacled Bear, Tayra, 60 species of Hummingbirds, Tapir, Jaguar, Dendrobatid frogs (and many other herps.), Cock-of-the-Rock, and a chance of sighting Quetezals and many other birds. Who knows what fish we will find? The area has never been fished, so who knows?!?! The forest here is reknown for rare orchids and other plants

In Sept. we find ourselves in lowland jungle habitats catching stingrays, piranhas, killies, cories and plecos. With some clients from Germany.

Until my new website goes live, I will try to post pictures from each trip as I can, so you can see what we are doing!! That leaves July and August still wide open. I want to get out onto the Rio Parimanu and see what we can find there.

The Cloud forest is the hot place to go to find Hillstream habitats. Some outstanding Rivulus locations up there too!

More soon,

Brian Perkins
WildPERU
Custom Jungle Adventure
www.wildperu.net

Coryologist
11-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I have known Brian for years. He is a stand-up guy and was responsible for me being able to acquire the first C. weitzmani that came into the US, which enabled me to record the first US spawning of a beautiful Cory and the second in the world.

You can deal with confidence with Brian. Of course I'm brown-nosing a wee bit to get first crack at new stuff. :-)

Continued success with everything, Brian. I wish my health permitted me to take you up on your invitation. Be well. - Frank

oneSockShort
11-15-2009, 03:04 PM
welcome to the boards Brian

kush
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I have two ulterior motives in welcoming you, Brian. First, because for the past week I've had to see my own name at the top of this page every time I've opened the site and I was getting tired of it and, second, because I'm sending you a five-gallon bucket and my Christmas list.

fishaddict
11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Welcome. Is Ayacucho close to you? That's where hubby's from.

WildPERU
11-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Welcome. Is Ayacucho close to you? That's where hubby's from.
Not really. Although Peru is not a huge country, so everything is relatively close at least as the crow flies. It's getting from place to place via the transportation system that's a bit tricky. :laugh:

Brian Perkins
WildPERU

WildPERU
11-26-2009, 12:03 PM
I have two ulterior motives in welcoming you, Brian. First, because for the past week I've had to see my own name at the top of this page every time I've opened the site and I was getting tired of it and, second, because I'm sending you a five-gallon bucket and my Christmas list.
That must be a short list!! :gickle: We hope to finish the fish house in May and start shipping soon after. Stay tuned!!

Brian Perkins
WildPERU
www.wildperu.net

WildPERU
11-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I have known Brian for years. He is a stand-up guy and was responsible for me being able to acquire the first C. weitzmani that came into the US, which enabled me to record the first US spawning of a beautiful Cory and the second in the world.

You can deal with confidence with Brian. Of course I'm brown-nosing a wee bit to get first crack at new stuff. :-)

Continued success with everything, Brian. I wish my health permitted me to take you up on your invitation. Be well. - Frank
Frank:

Thanks for the kind words. I DO try! :cool:

Speaking of C. weitzmani, please take a moment and surf into my new blog at http://wildperu.blogspot.com/ and see the first ever video of this fish in the wild; taken by yours truly in 2005. We are going back up there to collect that fish and many others in the 2010 collecting season. Now that there is a newly paved, modern highway up to this area, the trip is much easier, quicker, and much more comfy than it was back then.

When the website is up, I will link the blog to it. For now surf in there, comment, browse and bookmark this spot. I will use it to release breaking news!!!

Enjoy!!

Brian Perkins
WildPERU
www.wildperu.net
http://wildperu.blogspot.com/