PDA

View Full Version : High temp Tolerant Snails

kush
11-21-2009, 01:09 PM
What snails tolerate high temperatures well? I use nerites in all my tanks but I'm keeping juvenile discus at 89F+ and the nerites can't take it.

Goober
11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Why are you keeping the temps so high ?

kush
11-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Small typo: meant to say '88F.' Anyway, I'm growing out ten juvenile discus in a 55 and the higher temps stimulate their appetite and, supposedly, discourage parasites.

The 125 with adults is kept at about 84F.:cold:

lotsoffish
11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
I think those trap door snails I sell could handle those high temps. They seem to handle everything else.

While 88 is great for stimulating eating and killing nasties on discus you will find that by keeping them that hot on a regular basis you will not get the growth you are looking for unless you feed those things heavily several times a day.

When you keep young fish that hot long term they tend to burn a LOT of calories.

kush
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
...While 88 is great for stimulating eating and killing nasties on discus you will find that by keeping them that hot on a regular basis you will not get the growth you are looking for unless you feed those things heavily several times a day.

When you keep young fish that hot long term they tend to burn a LOT of calories.
Six meals a day and two water changes. Because I needed a relaxing hobby. :coffee:

kush
11-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I think those trap door snails I sell...
YOU BASTARD! You re-listed them with the Black Cow muzak and twinkly light crap! Now my brain's all screwed up again!
:chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair:

lotsoffish
11-24-2009, 10:14 PM
I think those trap door snails I sell...
YOU BASTARD! You re-listed them with the Black Cow muzak and twinkly light crap! Now my brain's all screwed up again!
:chair::chair::chair::chair::chair::chair:
What do you mean "again"?

mgamer20o0
11-24-2009, 10:56 PM
i have had spixi snails at higher temps like 84. they didnt breed at those temps but stayed in the water and help clean up any extra food.

kush
01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I think those trap door snails I sell could handle those high temps. They seem to handle everything else...
Maybe. The jury's still out on whether or not they can handle the heat. What they cannot handle is that, as far as my discus are concerned, their antennae look just like black worms.

river11
01-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I think those trap door snails I sell could handle those high temps. They seem to handle everything else...
Maybe. The jury's still out on whether or not they can handle the heat. What they cannot handle is that, as far as my discus are concerned, their antennae look just like black worms.
That's funny, none of my snails have (trapdoor and mystery) have antennae anymore either thanks to angels. Out of all the snails those trapdoors are some tank cleaning fools.

river11
01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Out of all the snails those trapdoors are some tank cleaning fools.
At least Lovel's are, I don't know about Petes. :smile:

kush
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Maybe. The jury's still out on whether or not they can handle the heat...
Whoops, jury's in. No, they cannot handle the heat.

I can't tell whether they're dead or just overcome with heat stroke. I've moved them off to a more temperate 20g endler/shrimp resort colony to either rehabilitate or be shrimp food.

I guess its back to me and the scrungee pad. :sad::v8: