PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor Snails vs. Clown Loaches

reticulata
12-02-2009, 11:33 PM
I just put some of my new trapdoors in my 72 bow show. I keep finding them upside down. Mostly small fish in tank but 5 pretty good sized clowns. I presume the loaches are trying to get at them. The snails are pretty well tucked down in their shells. Anyone have a similar experience?

lotsoffish
12-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Dude?

I didn't send those snails to you so you could torture them. :grrr:

marli
12-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Yeah, the clowns are trying, and WILL, get to them. Take them out, yesterday.

Snails and clowns do NOT mix.

Smiles, marli

kwheeler91
12-03-2009, 07:08 AM
i had a lonely myster snail in a tank with some smaller clown loaches, they never got him, but they sure tried and ate off almost all of the operculum. so eventually they will get them out and have a meal. i have a population of MTS in with my clowns and they survive, maybe becuase their shells are super hard, but try those if you want snails in the tank

kush
12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
My discus while away the hours idly tipping over nerites. They don't mean anything by it, they just get bored.

Your loaches, on the other hand, they mean business.

reticulata
12-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Sorry, my bad. Too bad. That is my tank that has a history of hairy black algae. They're sprung.

kush
12-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Try SAE or American flag fish?

reticulata
12-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Actually I have an algae eater and some cherry barbs and they are keeping it under control.

kwheeler91
12-03-2009, 07:33 PM
two words. Hydrogen peroxide. kills black algae, and hair algae and cyanobacteria as well. i dip my plants right into a vat of peroxide along with my driftwood. just do research on the plants you want to dip as some dont handle it well. some ones that do are java ferns, java moss, rotala rotundifolia, and water sprite to my testing. ive heard to not use it on hornwort, but that was after i already did it so ill let you know if i see any signs of damage here in the next couple of days. it does work though, turns the algae a redish pink color then it starts to dissinigrate

definitely dont use it on hornwort :nono:

mcdaphnia
12-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Oreochromis are really good at eating algae too. They prefer it to most plants, which will get eaten next, unless you are quick.