PDA

View Full Version : Hi, My name is Zoogrrl and I too am an aquaholic....

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Sorry, kush, loved it so much I had to steal "aquaholic"!

I live in AZ and I blame my fiance completely for my addiction. My family had a tank of guppies when I was young and that was the extent of my involvement in the fish world. Then I met my honeybear...he kept fish off and on for 40 years but hasn't had a tank for a couple of years now. We fell into having fish again a couple of months ago when he found a 90 gal tank on craigslist for his son's turtles and the seller offered him a 29 gal setup complete with mollies and goldfish for peanuts. We now have a 1 gal, 2.5 gal, 3 gal, 10 gal, 26 gal, 29 gal, 37 gal and a 55 gal for fish and a 90 gal for two red ear sliders. We currently have bettas, angels, mollies, goldfish, fancy guppies, and a couple of black bar endler boys.

The fish keeping bug is rampant in our house but we are trying to control it before we become totally overrun. We have tanks in every room except for the bathrooms and kitchen....tonight my honey found a fish tank toilet that his 12 yr old son now wants in his bathroom. I think we all need help! :lol:

If anyone is wondering about my username....heck, even if you aren't I'm going to tell you anyway...I am originally from Ohio and worked at the Columbus Zoo in the education dept for almost 9 yrs. Hence Zoogrrl was born.

My intro is a bit random but that's how most of my posts will be as well. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Sheri
aka Zoogrrl

fishieluvr1
12-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Hi Sheri
I'm glad to be the first to welcome you aboard. I'm really impressed with your quick pickup and understanding of the situation here with the spammers and that you came here to the boards to introduce yourself with an understanding attitude toward Frank (Coryologist) and the situation. Frank is a neat guy with great fish adn I'm glad things got worked out. Just a word of advise - be on hand tonight to snipe if you are interested in certain auctions - cause there is a lot of sniping going on Monday nights. Also, with certain sellers i.e. Coryologist and lotsoffish - the bids tend to go hi - so you may find them going out of your budget quickly - but that is the fun of the game especially when dealing with 2 of the best fish sellers on AB.
With lotsoffish - there is always next week :thumbsup: - Frank's auctions are not as frequent but go longer :gickle: - and Monday night is snipe night :nod:

Welcome aboard - :icecream: you are off to a great start at becoming a member of the AB family - as long as you can deal with crazy :tongue:

Cheryl

kush
12-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Welcome Sheri.

On the off-chance I ever manage to say anything clever again, you're more than welcome to repeat that, too - but you shouldn't be counting on it.

The first step on the road to recovery is to admit you have a problem, which you've courageously done, and the second step is to take all your money and buy bonds with long terms to maturity so that you won't have any cash available to satisfy your jones - by the time the bonds mature, you'll be too old to do water changes or see the little fishies.

Or you could just buy bigger tanks with more expensive fish, which is what I do. But I still like guppies!

Whichever course of treatment you pursue, have fun and keep us updated. Before you visit a lotsoffish auction familiarize yourself with the location of your dimmer and volume controls.

-Kerry

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Hi Sheri
I'm glad to be the first to welcome you aboard. I'm really impressed with your quick pickup and understanding of the situation here with the spammers and that you came here to the boards to introduce yourself with an understanding attitude toward Frank (Coryologist) and the situation. Frank is a neat guy with great fish adn I'm glad things got worked out. Just a word of advise - be on hand tonight to snipe if you are interested in certain auctions - cause there is a lot of sniping going on Monday nights. Also, with certain sellers i.e. Coryologist and lotsoffish - the bids tend to go hi - so you may find them going out of your budget quickly - but that is the fun of the game especially when dealing with 2 of the best fish sellers on AB.
With lotsoffish - there is always next week :thumbsup: - Frank's auctions are not as frequent but go longer :gickle: - and Monday night is snipe night :nod:

Welcome aboard - :icecream: you are off to a great start at becoming a member of the AB family - as long as you can deal with crazy :tongue:

Cheryl
Hi Cheryl

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I have to admit I was aggravated last night with the spammers....totally understanding of Coryologist's reaction to my newbie status. It just tweaks me off though when I get in trouble because of someone else...takes all the fun out of getting in trouble all on my own. :gickle:

I've noted the end times of the auctions I want and had planned on jumping in at the end. My honey already told me to quit bidding last night and wait til closer to the end. He will snipe out of spite though. Honeybear sets his limit and will bid until he reaches it and if he's outbid again he will bid one last time just to make the other guy pay a little more. :rolleyes:

I see what you mean about the bids getting high. I would love to win a couple of the auctions from Coryologist and lotsoffish but they have gotten a little rich for my blood. I'm waffling and may end up jumping in last minute though. :snicker:

Crazy is easy to deal with, it's normal I have problems with. :crazy:

Sheri

crazygregg
12-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Short ,sweet and to the point , HI!:tongue:

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Welcome Sheri.

On the off-chance I ever manage to say anything clever again, you're more than welcome to repeat that, too - but you shouldn't be counting on it.

The first step on the road to recovery is to admit you have a problem, which you've courageously done, and the second step is to take all your money and buy bonds with long terms to maturity so that you won't have any cash available to satisfy your jones - by the time the bonds mature, you'll be too old to do water changes or see the little fishies.

Or you could just buy bigger tanks with more expensive fish, which is what I do. But I still like guppies!

Whichever course of treatment you pursue, have fun and keep us updated. Before you visit a lotsoffish auction familiarize yourself with the location of your dimmer and volume controls.

-Kerry
Thanks for the welcome Kerry.

I'm sure you will say more clever things soon. I won't hold my breath though just in case you are right about clever being elusive for you. :grin:

I like the idea about dumping my money in the bonds except knowing me I'd just end up walking around with 3" thick coke bottle glasses and a magnifying glass so I could see the fishies. And there are always neighborhood kids to hire for water changes. :nod:

As for buying bigger tanks...we seem to be going more for quantity over here. The original plan for the past couple of years has been to set up one 6-8' tank as an amazon river biotope. Once the 29 gal fell into our laps the addiction was triggered and within two weeks we had the three small tanks for bettas and the 55 gal which we got at a smokin' deal. Since the turtles were no longer in the ten gal, we figured it couldn't be left empty. Then two weeks later came the smokin' deal on the 37 gal and a week later the smokin' deal on the 26 gal. So now, the plan is to have tanks all over the house. :help: Once the Christmas tree comes down the living room gets rearranged and the 55 gets set up and later in the year we will get an, as yet, undetermined size tank for the Amazon biotope. :rolleyes:
It's hopeless I'm afraid. But that's ok, at least I have my in house expert to get me through any issues or emergencies. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up on lotsoffish's auctions but it's too late....I've already been blinded by a couple of them. :lol:

Sheri

MrLohachata
12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
welcome zoogirl....glad to have you aboard..you have to understand how some of these lunatic sellers operate...kind of like ging to the tire store and buying 1 uniroyal and they put 4 michelins on ......frank tries to act mean and grumpy ; but he really isn't...pete tries to act like an absolute lunatic nutcase ; but he really is...but he knows more about this hobby and all of it's critters than anyone i have ever seen..there are dozens of other sellers that are also pretty damn fantastic.....don't just look at the feedback numbers..read what folks say about them...browse the feedback forum here also.
here are a couple of other special benefits found only on AB.....monday night is music night..starting at 7:15(usually);frank plays some of the greatest tunes ever...and each weekend he has an extremely informative interview with some of the greatest minds in the hobby..

The Station page is: http://www.live365.com/stations/theamol?site=pro

All previous podcasts may be found, here: http://www.aquaradio.net/pages/podcasts/

Subscribe to our newsletter, here: http://www.aquaradio.net/newsletter/subscribe.html

again...........welcome to the insanity..

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Short ,sweet and to the point , HI!:tongue:
Are you referring to yourself or your post. :evil:

Hi back at ya, Gregg.

Sheri

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 08:33 AM
welcome zoogirl....glad to have you aboard..you have to understand how some of these lunatic sellers operate...kind of like ging to the tire store and buying 1 uniroyal and they put 4 michelins on ......frank tries to act mean and grumpy ; but he really isn't...pete tries to act like an absolute lunatic nutcase ; but he really is...but he knows more about this hobby and all of it's critters than anyone i have ever seen..there are dozens of other sellers that are also pretty damn fantastic.....don't just look at the feedback numbers..read what folks say about them...browse the feedback forum here also.
here are a couple of other special benefits found only on AB.....monday night is music night..starting at 7:15(usually);frank plays some of the greatest tunes ever...

The Station page is: http://www.live365.com/stations/theamol?site=pro

All previous podcasts may be found, here: http://www.aquaradio.net/pages/podcasts/

Subscribe to our newsletter, here: http://www.aquaradio.net/newsletter/subscribe.html

again...........welcome to the insanity..
Thanks for the nice welcome, lohachata.

I'm getting a good feel for the sellers and the board already. Looks like things are lively and interesting around here, to say the least. :crazy:

I'm hoping to get the chance to pick up some great fish and AB seems to be the place to do it.

I will have to check out the station tonight while I'm trying to snipe some auctions. :dance:

Sheri

Coryologist
12-07-2009, 09:01 AM
.frank tries to act mean and grumpy ; but he really isn't...
That's a load of bull-crap and you know it.

pete knows more about this hobby and all of it's critters than anyone i have ever seen.
That's a double load of bull-crap and you know it. - F.

AmazonMoosey
12-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Enjoy your stay here! While others pretend to be grumpy and/or a lunatic - I am The REAL THANG - and am both. :tongue: You too can become this way if you, like myself and others, stay around this place long enough! :gickle:

Hope you have a great time and all your fishies remain in motion and swimming!

Coryologist
12-07-2009, 09:18 AM
While others pretend to be grumpy and/or a lunatic - I am The REAL THANG - and am both. :tongue:
No bull-crap there. - F. :evil: :tycoon: :bigboss:

river11
12-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Welcome Sheri!

Mike

AmazonMoosey
12-07-2009, 09:26 AM
While others pretend to be grumpy and/or a lunatic - I am The REAL THANG - and am both. :tongue:
No bull-crap there. - F. :evil: :tycoon: :bigboss:
Quit tryin' to get on my good side. I don't have one. :tongue:

Coryologist
12-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Duly noted. - F.

P.S. What about your backside? lol

AmazonMoosey
12-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Duly noted. - F.

P.S. What about your backside? lol
As in, when I am leaving? Oh, it's like a fine oil painting.

Much better viewed from a distance! :gickle:

Msdevine
12-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Welcome Sheri, I am sure you will have a good time here. Just watch out... just a warning... lol :dizzy:

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
12-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Welcome. Have fun with the rest of us.

Not my bidder name but will not be sniping tonight as waiting for some boxes to arrive - :angel: Oh yes, I love to snipe over bidding - :thumbsup: The thrill = will I get it or will I not as I try to time it down to the very last :wink2:

Than will check the tanks all out and see if have any room. If not, will not - repeat - will not - be buying more tanks - I have too many :crazy:

As for Pete's auction my Pop Up Blocker blocks most of the songs :whistle: = but he has some very interesting info on them that I like to read. Even if not for us = still interesting info on him - :snicker:

Skiboy
12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Welcome, and SSFD has some good advice there, read Lotsoffish auctions as they have lots of good info and tips in them, but turn your speakers off before you open them. This is a must for me as he scares the crap out of my birds with his selections.

DLW777
12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Welcome and have fun!!

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Enjoy your stay here! While others pretend to be grumpy and/or a lunatic - I am The REAL THANG - and am both. :tongue: You too can become this way if you, like myself and others, stay around this place long enough! :gickle:

Hope you have a great time and all your fishies remain in motion and swimming!

Grumpy and crazy is a combo I am familiar with....everyone in my house alternates between grumpy and crazy, thankfully it's not that often that we all hit grumpy at once. :crazy:

Thanks for the welcome. :peace:

Sheri

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
.frank tries to act mean and grumpy ; but he really isn't...
That's a load of bull-crap and you know it.

pete knows more about this hobby and all of it's critters than anyone i have ever seen.
That's a double load of bull-crap and you know it. - F.
I thought this was a fish forum....who let all the bulls in????:sad2:

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Welcome Sheri!

Mike
Thanks for the welcome Mike and Deanna. And thanks for the warnings SSFD and Skiboy. I have found it interesting reading some of lotsoffish's listings...it's always fun looking into other people's brand of crazy. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

vegetarian_great_white
12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
This is a must for me as he scares the crap out of my birds with his selections.
My auction browsing time is when I have to sit in my office with lights off and be quiet while my 3 year old daughter is trying to fall asleep. I have no choice but turn the volume OFF completely. So, I don't even know what you are talking about regarding Lotsoffish noise ;)

CoryLoachFreak
12-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Welcome to our nut house. I'm sure you didn't want to make the entrance that you wanted. Ya see, we have had "issues" with some jerk for the past month or so. He/she started as "PETA", but we all thought they were a "PITA" !!!!!

Reading some of your post; You will fit right in. :gickle: Always great to have another member with a good sense of humor. :bigthumbsup:

I look forward to being another one of the Sellers on your list. (I know, I need to post some auctions, but I am trying to get caught back up after packing about 500 Plants in the past week) Only five boxes going out tomorrow, so I should be able to take an inventory count after that.

Have a great time around here, and keep making people smile. :wink2: Such a pleasure to meet ya ma'am,

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Welcome to our nut house. I'm sure you didn't want to make the entrance that you wanted. Ya see, we have had "issues" with some jerk for the past month or so. He/she started as "PETA", but we all thought they were a "PITA" !!!!!

Reading some of your post; You will fit right in. :gickle: Always great to have another member with a good sense of humor. :bigthumbsup:

I look forward to being another one of the Sellers on your list. (I know, I need to post some auctions, but I am trying to get caught back up after packing about 500 Plants in the past week) Only five boxes going out tomorrow, so I should be able to take an inventory count after that.

Have a great time around here, and keep making people smile. :wink2: Such a pleasure to meet ya ma'am,

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"
Thanks so much for the warm welcome, Jeff.

It actually worked out well that I had issues...it made me come on here and post. I often times lurk on boards and just make my witty/snarky comments to my cat he thinks I'm quite funny. :cool:

I look forward to seeing your auctions. None of our tanks are planted currently but the 55 gal will be when it's set up. I'll keep my eye out for your auctions when we are ready to start planting.

Good to meet you too, Jeff.

Sheri

RMC
12-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the chaos Sheri! Here's a few plant auctions for you to ponder http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&Rmc . While you're at it click on the "Chat" link and say hi to the other lunatics there. A kevlar vest is optional but encouraged.

:king:

zoogrrl
12-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the chaos Sheri! Here's a few plant auctions for you to ponder http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&Rmc . While you're at it click on the "Chat" link and say hi to the other lunatics there. A kevlar vest is optional but encouraged.

Thanks for the welcome, RMC.

I'll check out your auctions. not ready to bid yet but it will give me some ideas. :smile:

Kevlar, we don't need no stinking kevlar! I have to run for the night but I'll check out the chats later.

Sheri

RMC
12-07-2009, 09:03 PM
OKaaaay......... But you've been warned. :gickle:

CoryLoachFreak
12-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Hey Sheri,

Here is your next best choice for a Plant seller (Next to me that is.....LOL):.........

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&Bayleesfishees

Cory is AWESOME !!!!!! Just ask anyone here, and they will tell you the same thing. :bigthumbsup:

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"

RMC
12-08-2009, 04:51 AM
Now THAT's funny! :laugh:

Geez, I love this hobby

wicca25
12-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Yes as pantmanager says cory rocks. I dont know about the other guys cuse i have not got plants from them but maybe one day ill have more tanks again. King did you giver her a link to perg chat? Its a blast cant wait to get back on the net from home

wicca25
12-08-2009, 06:37 AM
By the way my name is crystal and i only have net on my fone so my posts are short and some times hard to understand

MrLohachata
12-08-2009, 06:00 PM
alright...quit screwin around and buy some PLECOCAINE.....your fish will hate you if you deprive them of it...

zoogrrl
12-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Hey Sheri,

Here is your next best choice for a Plant seller (Next to me that is.....LOL):.........

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&Bayleesfishees

Cory is AWESOME !!!!!! Just ask anyone here, and they will tell you the same thing. :bigthumbsup:

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"
Thanks for the link, Jeff. And of course anyone would be next best....lol

I'm going to show Honeybear the substrate. Might have to pick some up.

Sheri

zoogrrl
12-09-2009, 12:11 AM
By the way my name is crystal and i only have net on my fone so my posts are short and some times hard to understand
Hi Crystal, nice to meet you. Don't worry about the posts, I'm on my laptop and depending on how sleep deprived I am, my posts often don't make much sense. :gickle:

Sheri

Skiboy
12-09-2009, 12:18 AM
Hey Sheri,

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"

Sheri
Baylees is the best and I have that substrate in all 60 of my aquariums

CoryLoachFreak
12-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Hey Sheri,

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"

Sheri
Hi again Sheri,

"BBB" (Baylees Better bottom) was named by the AquaBid family. Cory tested MANY different combinations of substrate over the years to produce The Ultimate Substrate for optimum Plant Root growth. Thus "BBB" came about from his tedious labors. This has to be THEE best stuff known to man !!!!!! You and "Honeybear" will absolutely LOVE this stuff !!!!

Hope ya get to bed soon. :gickle:

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"

zoogrrl
12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
alright...quit screwin around and buy some PLECOCAINE.....your fish will hate you if you deprive them of it...
Sounds like I need to head to the bad part of town and find a shady looking thug named Shorty to make my purchase. :lol:

zoogrrl
12-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Hey Sheri,

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"

Sheri
Hi again Sheri,

"BBB" (Baylees Better bottom) was named by the AquaBid family. Cory tested MANY different combinations of substrate over the years to produce The Ultimate Substrate for optimum Plant Root growth. Thus "BBB" came about from his tedious labors. This has to be THEE best stuff known to man !!!!!! You and "Honeybear" will absolutely LOVE this stuff !!!!

Hope ya get to bed soon. :gickle:

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"
Thanks for the testimonials, Ski and Jeff. Honeybear (aka Jim) has been researching substrate for his Amazon tank I'll tell him about this tomorrow so he can check it out. I may get some for one of my tanks so he can see first hand how it is before getting it for his big tank.

I hope I get to bed soon too. I worked closing shift tonight so I didn't get home until 11. I'm almost wound down enough to sleep. :yawn:

MrLohachata
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM
yep...that's me..shorty.....

i just bought 400 pounds of BBB....and i am a tightwad ; so you know it has to be good stuff...

zoogrrl
12-11-2009, 01:27 AM
yep...that's me..shorty.....

i just bought 400 pounds of BBB....and i am a tightwad ; so you know it has to be good stuff...
400 pounds????:lol: I always forget how many pounds of substrate the tanks take...until it comes time to buy more.

How many tanks do you have?

MrLohachata
12-11-2009, 05:23 AM
not many right now..i think around 30...with about 50 or so more in storage..i had to cut back when i moved..

zoogrrl
12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
not many right now..i think around 30...with about 50 or so more in storage..i had to cut back when i moved..
If 30 is "not many" I'd hate to see your idea of a lot!! :gickle:

dougrm3
12-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi Sheri,

Welcome to the board. I know what you mean as far as this becoming an addicting hobby. I am at my maximum number of aquariums as defined by the fact that I love being married and want to stay that way. Iím up to nine but may try to slip one more in. I have a 29-gallon that is just shooting to be setup. It came cheap at a yard sell.

Enjoy your time on this board and thanks again for your welcome on my introduction post.

Doug

zoogrrl
12-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi Sheri,

Welcome to the board. I know what you mean as far as this becoming an addicting hobby. I am at my maximum number of aquariums as defined by the fact that I love being married and want to stay that way. Iím up to nine but may try to slip one more in. I have a 29-gallon that is just shooting to be setup. It came cheap at a yard sell.

Enjoy your time on this board and thanks again for your welcome on my introduction post.

Doug
Nice to meet another fellow addict. :gickle:
We have 9 tanks also, thankfully my Honeybear is the original addict in this house so I'm safe there. He says we are done buying tanks for now, he has said that three other times in the past two months though. :rolleyes:

See you around the boards.

Sheri