PDA

View Full Version : Snail tank mates

reticulata
12-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I got some Trapdoor and A ssassination snails from Pete and I learned the no no about snails vs. loaches. Questions is, is it safe to put these type of snails in with other fish or shrimp if you want to breed them? Obviously pond snails have no problem breeding in most tanks mainly cause I don't want them to breed. I'm specifically wondering about shrimp, plecos and corys as tank mates. Thanks. :confused:

edinjapan
12-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I got some Trapdoor and A ssassination snails from Pete and I learned the no no about snails vs. loaches. Questions is, is it safe to put these type of snails in with other fish or shrimp if you want to breed them? Obviously pond snails have no problem breeding in most tanks mainly cause I don't want them to breed. I'm specifically wondering about shrimp, plecos and corys as tank mates. Thanks. :confused:
Shrimp and cories are not a problem but some plecos will munch on snails. BTW the Assassin or Snail Killer Snails will make short work of any other snails you might have sharing their tank. I hve 30 of them in a large tank and they will gang and go after the bigger snails that one usually can't handle.

lotsoffish
12-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Put all those snails in with all your shrimp for now. Shrimp and snails are a great combination because none of them are particularly aggressive eaters so they will all benefit from getting lots of food to eat. I also use those snails in ALL my fish fry tanks. Add a little tartar sauce and you have a great meal............. I know. lame joke.

But what isn't lame is the fact those snails will be out after you turn your lights off and they will eat any and all food that your fish didn't finish during the day.

Try it. Your snails will get enough to eat and your water quality will improve while at the same time you will be able to feed your fry more. And well fed fry are healthy fry. :bigthumbsup:

Lastly, I think the number one reason folks end up losing snails, especially large snails like the trap doors I send is because their snails starve to death. Large snails require a lot of food, you can't rely on them to "find" enough food to survive on and you can't tell when they are getting "skinny".

reticulata
01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Okay, I asked this before but didn't get a full answer. I have trapdoors and assassination snails. I also have tons of pond snails. At a very early stage how do you tell the TD's from the pond snails? The assassination pretty early on look like their parents so I don't have a problem with that ID. I just don't want to smash the wrong snails trying to rid them and/or feed the fish. I have seen lots of small snails on the adult TD's and I understand they give live birth but I haven't had to time to scrutinize their tanks. Thanks

Underwhelmed
01-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Okay, I asked this before but didn't get a full answer. I have trapdoors and assassination snails. I also have tons of pond snails. At a very early stage how do you tell the TD's from the pond snails? The assassination pretty early on look like their parents so I don't have a problem with that ID. I just don't want to smash the wrong snails trying to rid them and/or feed the fish. I have seen lots of small snails on the adult TD's and I understand they give live birth but I haven't had to time to scrutinize their tanks. Thanks
The trapdoor babies should be pretty decent sized at birth, whereas the pond snails will be rather tiny.