PDA

View Full Version : Fish that get along with shrimp?

MonkeyDance73
01-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Are there any mid-water fish that get along with shrimp (small ones, like CRS)?

I just read that even Axelrodia riesei will attack them?

I like little shrimp and little fish but only have 1 tank =P

kush
01-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Most of the smaller tetras are good. I recently had to banish a bunch of bleeding hearts, blood fins and silver tips that did not play well with shrimps. Embers, neons, cardinals and von rios are all good for sure. Anything will eat small baby shrimp if they come across them - shrimp are, when you get right down to it, simply fish food with swimmerets.

MonkeyDance73
01-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Ok. Yeah, I thought smaller fish would be ok and figured baby shrimp would get eaten just like baby fish, but I got worried after reading this thread http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22922 . And fish base says those guys only get up to 1.7cm >_<

Underwhelmed
01-29-2010, 06:56 PM
I have Harlequin Rasboras and Pencilfish, as well as Black Neons and everything works great, but I have a heavily planted tank, so there is plenty of cover.

Riccia and Frogbit floaters and plenty of good moss as well as Pennywort are my baby CRS main favorite hideouts.

Heterandria formosa would be good, as they stay very small. They are also known as Lesser or Least Killifish, although they are live bearers.

Bluegreen
01-29-2010, 08:18 PM
I have about 10 species only tanks of shrimp. If you want to breed and reproduce shrimp, species only tanks are the best. If you want to mix them with fish your less aggressive nano type fish are probably your best bet. Heavily planted as suggested already will improve your chances of getting a few to survive. I don't trust any fish with my shrimp. But I also want to reproduce them.

msfish
01-29-2010, 09:22 PM
I keep cherry shrimp in a heavily planted tank with cory pygmaeus, cory hastastus, and celestial pearl danios. I'll probably never have enough shrimp to sell but thats not my goal. I still have plenty of shrimp and this is one of my favorite tanks.

Underwhelmed
01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
I have about 10 species only tanks of shrimp. If you want to breed and reproduce shrimp, species only tanks are the best. If you want to mix them with fish your less aggressive nano type fish are probably your best bet. Heavily planted as suggested already will improve your chances of getting a few to survive. I don't trust any fish with my shrimp. But I also want to reproduce them.
As for reproduction in a community aquarium with fish, I started with an order of 15 and added another of 18 to my 30 long and now have easily over 150 and will probably need to start listing them for sale.

The only fish I keep in a tank alone are some Kuhlie loaches I received in an order by error, as they would eat both my shrimp and my snails.

I also have a single Marble Cray in my tank with my CRS and have seen no loss to predation. I have lost 2 adult female CRS that I have found dead in the tank, both were full intact and neither had any evidence of having been eaten upon.

ChilDawg
01-29-2010, 11:28 PM
My best mix...shrimp and Heterandria formosa.

Bluegreen
01-30-2010, 12:56 AM
I like shrimp, have always been fascinated by them and there pretty darn simple. How long have you had your colony in your tank Underwhelmed?

Underwhelmed
01-30-2010, 01:08 AM
I like shrimp, have always been fascinated by them and there pretty darn simple. How long have you had your colony in your tank Underwhelmed?
I haven't had it too long. I bought my first group in November, but most of them were really small, so I got some more in December.

I had never had CRS before, they just started selling them at my LFS in the last year. I stocked my tank with a couple dozen Ghost shrimp as an experiment to be sure everything would work out. I ended up having to get rid of some Red Eye tetras, but otherwise everything else has been great.

I love watching my shrimp, I have all sizes right now, from shrimplets to adult breeders.

I think running an 8 hour photo period on the tank has been really beneficial for the shrimp.

kwheeler91
01-30-2010, 01:43 AM
i keep my cherry shrimp in a ten gallon that with some boraras brigittae. the whole floors a mat of java moss along with some wood and java ferns. plenty of shrimp in there. i also have a 20 hex with 10 celestial pearl danios and a couple ottos along with some crystal red shrimp. i had one female to start with that got berried. when she had her shrimettes the tank was literally COVERED in hydra and it had 10 fish in it with a power filter to boot. pretty much every one of those shrimp survived, miraculously, probably due to a ton of java moss and some nice wood to hide under.

what im trying to say is anything that is big enough to eat the adult shrimp should be avoided and if given enough spots to hide (java moss) you should be fine. avoid those monster female guppies, i witnessed one chomp a couple cherry shrimp. the shrimp and baby shrimp are actually pretty fast and will be fine as long as they have a place to run to.

hca75
02-07-2010, 10:16 AM
I've got my RCS in with pygmy cory, skunk cory, and a chocolate pleco. The pygmy cory are midwater most of the time, skunk cory on the bottom, and shrimp all over the place... and they all dog pile on the plec, who cares less. Not the most colorful combo- but very entertaining, and peaceful.

kush
02-07-2010, 01:18 PM
I have thousands upon thousands of shrimp - mostly living in my canister filters. The Eheim thermafilter is an especially popular spa and resort destination.

SeaHoke
03-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Regarding fish... as said- just about EVERYTHING will eat the shrimplets they are absolutely tiny little things.

Ottos are probably safe as they are strictly vegetarian... not really mid-level fish though.

Adults may be safe with smaller fish- have lots of moss type plants for the young to hide in.

I've got mixed Danios, Cherry Barbs, Kuhlis, Couple of species of Corydoras, small Plecos- all living with shrimp (and dwarf crays) in my large "small-fish" community tank.

I've got adult Caridina Propinqua, Red Cherry Shrimp and Palaemonetes in there- they all seem nice and healthy and the adults arn't being eaten.

I don't see the rapid population booms like other see with species-only tank, in part because I imagine the vast majority are eaten.

I do see a nice consistant level of adults though.

The only fish I keep in a tank alone are some Kuhlie loaches I received in an order by error, as they would eat both my shrimp and my snails.
That's very unlikely. Like all fish they may go after baby shrimp- but Pangio loaches, such as Kuhlies are NOT usually snailers (or shrimpers)- that's more of a Botia loach trait.

Kuhlies don't have the mouth or hardware to eat snails like the botia loaches do.

Bluegreen
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
That's very unlikely. Like all fish they may go after baby shrimp- but Pangio loaches, such as Kuhlies are NOT usually snailers (or shrimpers)- that's more of a Botia loach trait.

Kuhlies don't have the mouth or hardware to eat snails like the botia loaches do.
Please don't "quote" me, when it's not me. I love kuhli loaches :luv: I think you mean't to quote Underwhelmed.

Jago
03-18-2010, 11:15 AM
My best mix...shrimp and Heterandria formosa.
My formosas demolished adult cherry shrimp. Once one would start picking at a shrimp others would come along and pick pick pick pick....until there was just a carapace.

SeaHoke
03-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Please don't "quote" me, when it's not me. I love kuhli loaches :luv: I think you mean't to quote Underwhelmed.
Sorry BlueGreen, my mistake! I deleted the wrong quote tag!

I wasn't saying anyone doesn't love Kuhlis though. To know a Kuhli is to love a Kuhli.