PDA

View Full Version : Proper shimp temp

crazygregg
02-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Hey Ya'll, Whats the proper temp to keep cherry shimp at? tanks a 2gal & its around 74 right now with the light on but it getlower at night.Im think its why I loose one every few days.

Underwhelmed
02-20-2010, 06:51 PM
64 to 82 should be fine.
Here is some good information for you.

http://planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

swimmer 2
02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
If cherry shrimps are dying in your tank, then there is something seriously wrong with your water:sos:

Mr. Chips
02-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Does the food include copper? I've read people saying that accumulated copper from food was killing shrimp.

Next and most important, are you doing weekly water changes?

SeaHoke
03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
They'll live in quite a high range of temperatures- however they live longest and reproduce more in the lower to mid 70s.

How long have you had them? Shrimp can react negatively to stress (such as shipping) for weeks after they experienced the stress.

lotsoffish
03-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Im think its why I lose one every few days.
My guess would be you are losing them because of water quality issues.

Think you might be over feeding them? Got any snails in the tank with them?

Snails help clean up any extra food that might start decaying in a tank that small.

kush
03-18-2010, 02:57 PM
The only other thing that comes to mind is copper in your household water supply, most likely from the hot water heater and points enroute. If you want to know for sure, buy a copper test kit. If you just want to be better-safe-than-sorry, don't use the hot water supply when you're doing water changes in the two-gallon tank, let the bucket sit out to come to room temperature, or even use the kettle. (If its just shrimp and snails in there, they're fine at room temperature anyway). An handful of java moss or such will soak up some trace metals, too.