PDA

View Full Version : Assassin snails Breeding?

Msdevine
02-25-2010, 12:32 PM
I put two in a tank and just today, saw about 15, they breed in the tank. OK someone LIKE Pete tell me how they breed? Not a egg layer? I owe Susan Wyfish some of these. Nice little guys.

Mr. Chips
02-25-2010, 12:47 PM
From what I have read they lay eggs (I saw photos). Some people have said the eggs don't all hatch at once. It may have something to do with their MTS population. Is the tank planted?

Msdevine
02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes the tank is planted and I t hink I found the eggs, they don't lay them all in one small place , they spread them or lay them on the plant leaves. Do you have a picture, I am going to look for one. I can not make this camera work for me.
I bought my frist assassins from Pete, I put them in different tanks. I have one tank with two , Must be same sex. No eggs or little ones. Some i put some in another tank, and now I have littles ones all over. I agree they don't all hatch at once. This is great. thanks Jo

Mr. Chips
02-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes they lay eggs in single clutches and are a single sex. So far all I know is the females may have thicker stripes. Here is a link to some info:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=29339

I don't think this is his main page. He may have started it here and then added a link to the edited version.

Msdevine
02-25-2010, 01:38 PM
ya I have more eggs, but I dont think they are fertile.

Mr. Chips
02-25-2010, 02:17 PM
They probably are. They hatch under different conditions.

Food and the amount of assassin snails can effect when they hatch. Play around with it. Add some MTS remove some of the larger assassins.

The assassins might have a hormone or secretion that could affect when they snails hatch. I've read that MTS and other snails will go to the top of the tank when you add assassins to the tank. They know some how and it could be an undesirable smell.

Msdevine
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Great, will try some of your ideas. Thanks so much. jo

Msdevine
02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
You know also I have them in a tank with Badis Badis and some pencil fish, which probably eat some eggs.
OK, looking at other tanks I have found more. I took some from the main tank and added to the other tank.
One thing I notice when moving some was the water temp. It was cooler in the tank with all the new ones. About 76 and most my tanks are at 78 and 80. So maybe temp. could be part of it?