PDA

View Full Version : shrimp bullies?

antionetteBlum
03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
i am happy to say i now have three berried shrimp

i have been watching the one closely for almost a week easy to recognise with half an antenae missing, i discovered another in my daughter's tank and then another in my own tank
so i have removed all from respective community tanks to allow them to drop the babies in a tank without fish.

i dropped the food in first since they love the snail treats (frozen) i give so it could thaw
put in all three, only to have the oldest of the three bogard the 1/4 cube and fight until she ate all of it.
i swear she eats i see her fight the dragon goby for the snail treats though.
so i drop in another quater thinking ok she has to be full by now...no she fought the other two off to get to the treat.
seeing how she is much further along i hope she will drop soon so i can remove her cause i now wonder if the others will eat their eggs because of not getting food.

i did drop in another quarter in a different spot so the others have a chance but she now runs back and forth

i do know when kept at warmer temps they can be aggressive but should i move her out to her own 1 gal tank or just let it go.

if i had tons of shrimp i would think nothing of it but, i only have the 10 or so and would like to be able to have them in more tanks so these babys are very important right now.
**my daughter is very extatic that she may have shrimpettes soon***
ber
az
:dry:

Mr. Chips
03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Ummm is that your daughters tank or the tank you forced into her room? :gickle:

antionetteBlum
03-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Ummm is that your daughters tank or the tank you forced into her room? :gickle:
ok..........................
my seven year old wanted a tank, the eight year old said no they were too loud i said we needed more room sooo.... we compromised with a sponge filter since they share the room technically it is both their chioce but the older one would rather use the space for a rock collection than fish ..soo....yes my 7year olds tank!! Mr. Chips! lol
:cool: :rofl:

i see you read the other posts and have a good memory.!! :lol2:

just wait till your house is crawling with the little buggers they are cute till they ague then you just have to remember you are the adult.........:popcorn: :tongue::tongue:

ber az

hca75
03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Ber- add some of that java moss to their tank.... it'll fix it! :)

antionetteBlum
03-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Ber- add some of that java moss to their tank.... it'll fix it! :)
is there such a thing as overstocking with plants
i have java moss, hornwort, duck weed, wisteria all in a 1 gal with three shrimp...i think shrimp are still in there.....thank you holly!! and Erin!!
ber
az :dry:

hca75
03-11-2010, 10:51 PM
with shrimp- you cant have to many.... it just makes it hard to find em... but they love it. My RCS climb all over it... Now with schooling or active fish- they need swimming room.... plant tall stuff on the backs n sides, medium stuff in the middle, then foreground stuff up front- you'll be fully planted, but the fish will have room to swim!!

Now with the duck weed- it will quickly take over the entire surface, and block out the light to the bottom of the tank.... at that point only the javas will be ok, so only let it get to about 30-50% of the surface- anything more than that- PACU TREATS!!!

You know all that DUCK WEED I sent you??? I pulled that much out again TODAY. All this was started off of 5-10 lil plants back around thanksgiving..... Thats how fast this stuff multiplys once it gets settled in....

I love it- the fry love it, the shrimp love it, but ya gotta watch that it doesnt block the light to the bottom....cuz then the other plants wont be happy!!

antionetteBlum
03-12-2010, 12:45 AM
with shrimp- you cant have to many.... it just makes it hard to find em... but they love it. My RCS climb all over it... Now with schooling or active fish- they need swimming room.... plant tall stuff on the backs n sides, medium stuff in the middle, then foreground stuff up front- you'll be fully planted, but the fish will have room to swim!!

Now with the duck weed- it will quickly take over the entire surface, and block out the light to the bottom of the tank.... at that point only the javas will be ok, so only let it get to about 30-50% of the surface- anything more than that- PACU TREATS!!!

You know all that DUCK WEED I sent you??? I pulled that much out again TODAY. All this was started off of 5-10 lil plants back around thanksgiving..... Thats how fast this stuff multiplys once it gets settled in....

I love it- the fry love it, the shrimp love it, but ya gotta watch that it doesnt block the light to the bottom....cuz then the other plants wont be happy!!
pacu hates it...go figure a pacu that wont touch plants.
i think the duck week freak her out
she torn up some the stuff planted and splashed water out so last night honey made me pull anything floating...so i am down to wisteria, SAG,and couple cambomba & fox tails in her tank
ha ha ha i had to write on the tank in white board marker to remember what is in each tank
it works though.

thanks again--now if i could only find my shrimp lol :rolleyes:
ber az

hca75
03-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Silly pacu!!! she's supposed to eat plants!! :) ok not eat- devour- Ive seen the picts of her, she's huge!!!
You'll learn the names, after a bit... just like you learn types of fish... You'll have em down in no time!!
The shrimp will come out eventually... in my shrimp tank I leave a small "open spot" and drop the food there- then i can do head count at feeding time... LOL

kwheeler91
03-12-2010, 07:28 PM
a peice of driftwood right in the center of the tank is where nearly all my shrimp congregate :)