PDA

View Full Version : How many apple snails

swimmer 2
03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
How many apple snails per aquarium gallon is comfortable? :coffee:

missylady
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
My rule of thumb is one snail per 2.5g although mine is probably 1 per 3g. I've done more snails p/g before but the growth was too slow and they weren't as active.
At 1 snail p/3gallons, my babies have grown to just a bit larger than a golf-ball in about 6 months and I have a new cluster of eggs every few weeks. I keep a lot of babies ( 3 to 4 egg clusters) together in a ten gallon until they are about pea sized before I move them to other tanks. I also keep 10 in a 70g tall with 4 Discus and they have grown to about 3 inches in 6 months (the Discus don't bother them at all).
More could probably be kept per gallon but may not get to their optimize size and color.

As for other snails, I have three Orange Rabbit/Elephant snails about 4-5 inches long each in a ten gallon and maybe one more would fit, but it would be tight.

Good Luck with them, they are beautiful little creatures :nod:

swimmer 2
03-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Thank you. Your input helps a lot. I appreciate your input.
Do you breed them to sell?

Mr. Chips
03-10-2010, 12:59 AM
This is something to keep in mind. 1 per 2.5 gallons pertains to adults.

You can keep a larger snail per gallon ratio but you will have to siphon waste daily and change the water 2-3 times per week. It depends on how much work you want to do.

erinmcc
03-10-2010, 07:02 AM
I hate to be the Debbie Downer but please look at how many snails are being sold on AB/Ebay before thinking about breeding. The market is FLOODED with them because they are so easy to breed. Clutches can produce into the triple digits for babies and they require a lot of effort and space for them to be healthy. Is it truly worth it to sell for $1-2 a snail?

swimmer 2
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
I appreciate everyone's input. I'm not looking to breed the snails, I'm looking to buy some. I currently vacuum out and do water changes every other day, but I don't want my tanks to look "gaudy". Just a few to accent them.
Will these snails eat fish eggs if they are in a breeder tank?

Thank you!

SeaHoke
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
I've read 2.5 gallons per snail (for pomacea bridgesii/diffusa)- but that is probably on the conservative end of the spectrum.

In reality it probably depends in part on your filtration, water circulation, how often (and how much) you do water changes, and how heavily planted you are. (sounds like you do frequent water changes so you're good).

I'm assuming your "apple snail" is a Brigg. If it's a Cana you'll need considerably more room per snail at least 5 gallons per snail.

I've not kept them because I like planted tanks- and my Tylos are bad enough with their occasional snacking on plants... Canas are lawn mowers.

On the other hand, if your apple snails are Spixi's you'll need much less space per snail- probably have twice as many.

BTW- if you can find anyone in state (can't be shipped across state lines) with Spixis I highly recommend them. Absolutely beautifull snails and they'll seriously dent any bladder snail/ramshorn snail problem you may have (if you have them). Bladder snails are extinct now in my community tank- kudos to the Spixis!