PDA

View Full Version : Finally joined the forum

Pianoman
03-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi, folks. I've used Aquabid on and off for a number of years. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of the folks here better.

I've been in the Aquarium hobby since 1956 and always look forward to learning and teaching in the field. I live in the Washington, DC area, but my original home is Chicago.

Larry

RMC
03-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the boards Larry.

:king:

apistodave
03-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Hi, folks. I've used Aquabid on and off for a number of years. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of the folks here better.

I've been in the Aquarium hobby since 1956 and always look forward to learning and teaching in the field. I live in the Washington, DC area, but my original home is Chicago.

Larry
cool dude

Pablitosfishies
03-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome! Why did you leave Chicago?

marli
03-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Welcome to chaos! So, when are the cherries in bloom? We are planning a trip your way to see them (among other things), but I haven't heard anything from my guy yet on when, so I'm curious.

Smiles, marli

Pianoman
03-20-2010, 03:58 PM
I was in financially bad times in 1980 and got a job as a computer trainer in Rockford, IL. After about 18 months, my employer transfered me to corporate HQ in the third world culture known as Texas. I stayed there and went from Radio Shack to Boeing, to General Dynamics (which then became Lockheed and then Lockheed Martin). In 1996 I got an offer to join a consulting firm and design and develop training programs in DC. Now I'm in the Distance Learning field for a Federal Agency and I love it.

Welcome! Why did you leave Chicago?
Larry

Pianoman
03-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Welcome to chaos! So, when are the cherries in bloom? We are planning a trip your way to see them (among other things), but I haven't heard anything from my guy yet on when, so I'm curious.

Smiles, marli
According to the National Cherry Blossom Festival web site (http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/) the expected dates are as follows:

2010 Peak Bloom Date Forecast: April 3 through April 8
2010 Blooming Period: March 31 through April 11

It is sunny and in the 70's as I type. We've already seen a few blooms near our house.

Larry

PS:
If you are in this area either either April 3 or or April 25, the local aquarium club (www.pvas.com) is having an event. The 3rd is our regular monthly meeting and April 25 is an all-day auction.

Swampy
03-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Helleaux and welcome to the boards Larry.
I've been trying to schedule a trip up to DC to see the National Aquarium.
Moosey sold 4 pieces of our Swampwood to them a while back and I would like to see it.

Pianoman is a cool name - I assume you play.

What fish do you keep?

Pianoman
03-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Helleaux and welcome to the boards Larry.
I've been trying to schedule a trip up to DC to see the National Aquarium.
Moosey sold 4 pieces of our Swampwood to them a while back and I would like to see it.

Pianoman is a cool name - I assume you play.

What fish do you keep?
Yes, I play piano. Teaching piano is how I made extra money in college and beyond.

The National Aquarium in DC is something of a disappointment to many people as they have little money and less promotion. They're in a basement room under the Department of Commerce. They were merged into the commercial firm called The National Aquarium in Baltimore a few years ago.

Fish I keep...... it varies all the time. Right now my fishroom holds:

Betta bellica
Betta Pugnax
Odessa barbs
Charadodon lateralis
Aplocheilus sp. "Manapurensis"
Fundulopanchax scheeli
Aphyosemion punctatus
Aphanius anatole
Betta ensinae
A couple of strains of Endlers
Girardinus metallicus
Betta prima
Betta Kratoise (sp?)
Betta simplex
Microctenopoma ansorgii
Brown bristlenose
L-144 (yellow ancistrus)
L-397
Queen Arabesque pleco
Betta patoti
African Fire-fin barbs
Betta raja
Teleogramma brichardi
Morgunda adspera
Tatia intermediata

It changes about 5% a month/

Larry

marli
03-20-2010, 06:08 PM

Smiles, marli
According to the National Cherry Blossom Festival web site (http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/) the expected dates are as follows:

2010 Peak Bloom Date Forecast: April 3 through April 8
2010 Blooming Period: March 31 through April 11

It is sunny and in the 70's as I type. We've already seen a few blooms near our house.

Larry

PS:
If you are in this area either either April 3 or or April 25, the local aquarium club (www.pvas.com) is having an event. The 3rd is our regular monthly meeting and April 25 is an all-day auction.
Thanks! I'll let my guy know when would be best timing, and maybe we'll make it this year. I'm not sure at all I'd be able to drag him to a meeting though; he's come to a couple auctions with me and he's not really a fishhead, so...best we skip it, smiles. Thanks for the invite though!

Smiles, marli

judydu2
03-20-2010, 10:27 PM
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb301/grannylongshank/Z%20gifs%20jpegs/emo-welcome100.gif

marli
03-21-2010, 11:09 AM
It was nice to chat with you last night. Come back again, we are there most nights. And I won't even call ya Billy.

Smiles, marli

Pianoman
03-21-2010, 12:49 PM
It was nice to chat with you last night. Come back again, we are there most nights. And I won't even call ya Billy.

Smiles, marli
It was nice meeting you and the rest of the folks online last night. It takes me back to the special interest chats I used to attend on CompuServe back in the early 1980's.

<<** Larry**>>

kush
03-21-2010, 05:21 PM
...I'm looking forward to getting to know some of the folks here better.
Familiarity breeds contempt. Except for me, of course. I'm nice.

Welcome.

lotsoffish
03-23-2010, 06:13 PM

Larry
Hello Larry!

What's a normal guy like you doing in a place like this? :evil:

Pianoman
03-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Hello Larry!

What's a normal guy like you doing in a place like this? :evil:
Nice to see you, Pete.

The only place I appear normal is at a science fiction convention. My co-workers know better <snicker>.

When are you going to visit us down in DC? We've got a major auction coming up April 25.