PDA

View Full Version : Super Flat ramshorns and errata

doctorgori
03-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Pardon the lack of a picture, but I'm guessing sombody thats been in the hobby a while knows about what I'm describing:

What the heck are those VERY flat and VERY small ramshorn snails that seem to explode outta nowwhere (mostly on anacharis and your tank rim), then disappear? ...is there a scientific name, and has anyone else had these before? ...

2nd Question: I had so called "gold malaysian" ramshorns, these the same as marrisia....
...so anyway, they seem to starve out after a few gens, but my question is; do the "revert" back to a smaller red/brown type? ...reason I'm asking is I got a few unusually large ramshorns that are dark brown (not the same color as the run-o-mill "pest" type of snail)...but OTOH, I've never seen a snotty egg cluster (like the gold ones make)....

just wondering if I got "throw back" snails or unusually large ramshorns

Gypsybear
03-28-2010, 04:12 AM
I've got them in one tank...real small and flat, almost clear and hold their shell flat to the tank wall?.....almost looks like it must hurt them, kinda like help!my shell is too heavy:0)
Seems I've been squishing daily for months but still have them. You're right, they came in on plants. Thankfully I have not spread them to my other tanks.
If you find out how to get rid of them please share!

Pablitosfishies
03-28-2010, 10:58 AM
LOACHES!!!!

Problem solved.

marli
03-28-2010, 11:17 AM
I've got the tiny ones too, and I love them. One of the tanks in the basement fish room is in front of the window, so it gets a LOT of sun. The back was grown full green, and part of it wasn't just regular algae but that blue green stuff. Then I noticed those tiny snails on the back glass. It took them about a month, but that tank is spotless now, no algae, no bluegreen crap, just clean glass! And they continue their work on the back glass (where the sun hits) daily, keeping it clean. No other snail, not pondies, not MTS, not even the regular sized (columbian) rams, keep the glass as clean.

Still don't know what they are, other than a species of rams. But I don't care, either! If you have them and don't want them, send 'em my way! I don't think they reproduce fast enough, hah.

Smiles, marli

doctorgori
03-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I couldn't swear they were exactly harmful either, but they are odd in that if things are to thier liking you get so many they are almost a nuiciance/unsightly...
even weirder is you either have them or not...they seem to be kinda "particular" about what tanks they will live in....art one time I had over 100 tanks and it seemed only a few tanks had them....goofy

the other ramshorns I got grow MUCH larger than normal, but smaller than so called columbian or Malaysian (I know they are two diffrent place/species, but...) at any rate, I've had "normal" red rams a zillion times the last 40yrs, but these are really odd...they reproduce slow and glow even slower...almost the "perfect" snail

marli
03-28-2010, 01:24 PM
...almost the "perfect" snail
exactly!

smiles, marli

lauratowerhunt
03-28-2010, 03:17 PM
I've gotten the dark ones you're talking about from all red ramshorn (no crossing with other colors) so it looks like a throwback and he's a lot bigger than the normal red ones. I'll probably remove him and my assasins will be feasting tonight.

Laura