PDA

View Full Version : How would one ship a large quantity of snails?

julia_izabelle
04-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I've been using kordon breather bags with 3 large snails per bag. What if I needed to ship 40 large snails? I searched the forum and found answers on how some people ship a few snails at a time, like wrapping them in wet paper towel or putting them in gatorade bottles (?) but not much on how to ship lots of them. Any ideas? My bags are dinky, but I can't use regular ones because I can't fill them with oxygen. How do people do that anyway? Oxygen machine? :thinking: :rofl:

RMC
04-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Air will work just fine but you don't want the snails to be loose so they crack each others shells during transit. When I've had them shipped to me they were packed with a lot of air but loosely packed in paper towels.

julia_izabelle
04-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Like, bags filled with air? Or bubble wrap? How do you pack them with air? I'm lost!!

lotsoffish
04-15-2010, 06:57 PM
It's funny how all of us lost folks all seem to end up in this forum. :evil:

What type and size snails are you talking about here?

A large Ramshorn snail is a lot different than a large Gold Apple Snail.

julia_izabelle
04-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Large trapdoor snails. With the kordon breather bags I have it doesn't look like I should be sticking any more than 3 in there, but what do I know. If I had to I could pack like 10 bags...but it just seems like there should be something easier...

lotsoffish
04-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Large trapdoor snails. With the kordon breather bags I have it doesn't look like I should be sticking any more than 3 in there, but what do I know. If I had to I could pack like 10 bags...but it just seems like there should be something easier...
LOL!

There sure is an easier way.

I would use a regular Poly bag or 2 and ship them in a 12x12x8 box like you see below.

You can ship those trap doors in 3/4 of an inch of water and I regularly just toss a couple in my wet floating plants auctions too. They always make it in perfect condition. :bigthumbsup:

If you need some larger poly bags shoot me an E mail and I will hook you up. :evil: