PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm back

Bliss
04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
I know for you old timers my introduction isn't needed, but I've been gone for so long I thought it prudent to say hi to the newer guys and wel,l you old fogies as well. Sorry for my absence, but due to a barrel load of personal issues I had to take a break from the forums and fish tanks as well. I broke down all of the ones I had, save for 2, and am now restocking the old dry tanks as well as starting to expand with some new ones.

For those who care, I've been on hemo for a lil over a year now and health wise I'm doing great. No issues other than the obvious, and I count my blessings that as far as people on hemo, go I'm as fit as a fiddle. I do have to go to a clinic 3 times a week and sit in a chair for 4 hours a sitting, wile my blood gets filtered by the hemo machine. It's really not that bad of a deal though so it doesn't bother me much.

During my break from tanks I got involved in keeping and breeding chameleons and leopard geckos. These guys are more work than most of the fish, but their beauty and grace, and not to mention their living habitats that are just awesome to look at, make it all worth the effort. here are a few pics.

My veiled: these guys are pretty common and are great for beginners.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/Chaca%20the%20Chameleon/007.jpg

My Melleri (rare): ok they are not very rare but are listed on the CITIES list and are very difficult o acclimate to life in a cage and one of the most challenging to breed. I'm working with some of the premier Melleri experts to log behavior and trying to create a captive bred population in the US. Pretty much every day we learn something new about this species and are really on the forefront of scientific study with this species. they are also one of one a 3 or 4 species tha can be keep communally. Most others will kill any other cham in the same cage.

Lumbwi (male)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/Melleri/006.jpg
Feruzi (female)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/Melleri/011.jpg

Both
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/Melleri/015.jpg

Their massive cage I built. They needs lots n lots of room.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/xyshannen/Melleri/001-1.jpg

They are also one of the only species that can actually tend to like human interaction, and with work can become dog tame. Most chams want to eat your face let alone allow you to hold them.

And this is Lapis, my money maker LOL his babies pay for the upkeep on everyone else. Lapis is a Ambanja Panther Chameleon from Madagascar, but was bred here in the States. Panther reproduction in captivity is as easy as common BN breeding.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv184/PureChams/005.jpg

So I'm glad to be back..you can expect to see more of me in the future.
Shannen/Pureaquatics

Swampy
04-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Welcome back Shannen!
Happy to hear you whupped up on those personal issues.
Great pictures.
It's great to have you back.
Whatever happened to those fighting zebra plecs?

yeahbut1
04-15-2010, 09:20 PM
GOD BLESS YOU! WELCOME BACK!! :thumbsup:
Dem some cool@ss critters you hanging with.:lol:~:laugh:

Bliss
04-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Speaking of ol fogies...2 of my favorites!

Zebras swampy? naaa never had zebras, I had other hyps, but sold off most of them. I did keep my rare 399s that were used in an Hyp article published on plecofanatics by a friend, cup. Now only if I can ever find a male. But I think I would have more luck finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I had some (rare at the time) 340s (see my Ava) but a power outage that lasted 4 days saw to their demise along with about 50 fry I got from them. :(

But no worries my friend. I'm back and plan on coming back stronger than ever. Expect some cool pictures from me in he future.

Yeahbut, my good friend. I thought you of all people might appreciate the critters. I also have a neat a$$ sand boa, a Sucata Tort that will out live my grandchildren and get very very large!!, and 6 white leopard geckos called "mac snow leopards" and a Vorax gecko that is the second larges species of gecko in the world. When grown he'll push 12 inches. It's late n I'm bout off to bed, but would love it if you would send me an email some time...we gots sum catchen up to do.

BettaBetta
04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
G'day mate, we haven't met, I'm the resident Aussie newbie.

Those are theeee most amazing things I've ever seen - we don't get them out here though. Not that I could own one, I find reptiles of any sort creepy, except gecko's & skinks, but they're divine & my house is crawling with them. Tee hee hee I've even had male Betta's & gecko's having many a stand-off, hilarious to watch.

I have a girlfriend who wouldn't sleep for a week if I showed her those pics lol.

fishouttaH2o
04-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome back. Im the new but hang out in chat alot. Hope to see you there!

MrLohachata
04-15-2010, 11:27 PM
hello girl...so glad to see you back..how is the baby???........tell kathy and that little skinny due of hers that i said hello and sent my love..
it's great to see you doing well..

BettaBetta
04-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Another girl?!?!? WooHoo, things are looking up around here ... look out boys, the scales, they are a balancing!

Oops, Pure, ignore the term of endearment "mate" ('tis not etiquette to call a gal "mate") and substitute it with "sheila" instead, using your best Aussie accent of course, it'll give ye a giggle.

CoryLoachFreak
04-16-2010, 04:20 AM
Welcome back Shannen. :bigthumbsup:

It's great to see that you overcame your issues, and returned.

I have to mirror what Paul "Yeahbut" said: Them are some badaxx chams!!!! :luv: When I lived in Las Vegas, I kept all sorts of critters. Snakes / Horny Toads / Lizards, etc. Loved them to pieces !!!!! One of these days I know I will get back into it. Looking at your photos, makes me start thinking, and that can NEVER be a good idea. LOL.

Good to see ya back. This time, plant some roots deeper. :gickle:

Have an awesome weekend, and I hope the Hemo treatments are doing you a world of good.

Jeff
"ThePlantManager"

yeahbut1
04-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Welcome back Shannen!
Happy to hear you whupped up on those personal issues.
Great pictures.
It's great to have you back.
Whatever happened to those fighting zebra plecs?
:detective:
http://www.aquaboards.com/viewtopic.php?id=2967

Swampy
04-16-2010, 01:49 PM
......Ahhh - TYVM......
It was a great video.
:peace:

AmazonMoosey
04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey there! Welcome back. It's great to see you are not only remembered, but still remember some of the old geezers and ol' pharts around these parts. Lol

I think I like Lapis the best - great pics! Enoy yourself.

Bliss
04-16-2010, 06:26 PM
LMAO loha..you're confusing me with my ex. No worries, my girly name prob isn't helping.

Betta you were right in your original thoughts. I am male hear me roar "woof"
Sides I would feel sorry for any woman with an arm as hairy as the one I posted holding Lumbwi. :laughing:

Jeff, they are just as addictive as da feesh. On more than one occasion I've had to use some self control to keep from buying more. Their cages take up so much room, I wouldn't be able to walk through mt house if I didn't.

ah yes Swampy that was a cool video.

N Ms Moosey I'd never forget any of you. Even if I tried. :tongue:

BettaBetta
04-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Gawd Strewth Ruth, confusion reigns supreme, make up yer bleedin' mind everyone ... removes "sheila" & reinstate "mate"!

nysparkle
04-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm new around here. I'm Barbara aka nysparkle.
It's nice to meet you. Your chameleons and geckos are quite colorful.
They are beautiful creatures.

Bliss
04-21-2010, 07:08 PM
hello girl...so glad to see you back..how is the baby???........tell kathy and that little skinny due of hers that i said hello and sent my love..
it's great to see you doing well..
OK time for this sort of confusion to end. I know you didn't mean anything by it Loha, but this isn't the first time this has happend. Just about every one confuses us. Even though I am the origional "Pure" it's time for a change. New life =s new name. So from now on, on aquabid my name is blissfulaquatics, and here and any other board I frequent I will go by Bliss for short.

Just a heads up ya'll. :thumbsup:

AmazonMoosey
04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
LOL Okay, you used to be Pure but now you are Bliss and BettaBetta will call you Sheila.

Surely, I have this straight now, yes? I know I know....Don't call you "Shirley".... :tongue:

Glad you both are here as you are - ! :bigthumbsup:

Bliss
04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
lmao!! well my real name is "girly" so.... :p