PDA

View Full Version : Idaho boy crashing the Party!

Randog
04-17-2010, 12:38 PM
:peeking: Hey Everybody!

My name is Randy. I currently live in Idaho. I grew up in :dry: , Arizona. GO SUNS and :devil: 's! Italy will take the world cup, again! There that's out of my system.

I am currently raising and trying to improve several variety's of domestic live-bearers: Swords, Platys and Mollys. Currently exploring my horizons and thinking about getting some wild types going. I am planning a trip to Arizona soon to gather some. Hope to eventually legally make it across the Mexican border and bring back some fun wild caught specimens. Buying from you all would make it easier but not as fun. :tongue:

Speaking of wild types,... there are a few secluded hot springs up here in :cold: Idaho that have had tanks dumped into. There are swordtails, guppys, convicts (confirmed independent strain in one of the hot springs), Mozambique Mouth-breeders (the males make for a great fish fry while camping), Jack Demseys, etc. I am wondering since these hot springs have had these fish in them for over 20 years now, breeding and surviving on their own, if they can be considered viable strains of their respected species?

I know, :offtopic: need to post in this in another section of the forum.

I look forward to getting to know all of you. From my lurking, you all seem like a fun crowd.

nysparkle
04-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Welcome!! :smile:

Swampy
04-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Helleaux and welcome to the forums Randy.

GenGen
04-18-2010, 10:18 PM
what part of idaho? I'm an hour upriver from Lewiston

Randog
04-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks Swampy! :bigthumbsup:

Sweet another Idaho person!

:ciao: I am in Idaho Falls.

GenGen are you with the Idaho Aquarium Club (idahoaquariumclub.com)?

marli
04-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the nuthouse, Randog. As I said to Dryfish: now I can pester you here, AND in the chat!

Smiles, marli

Randog
04-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the nuthouse, Randog. As I said to Dryfish: now I can pester you here, AND in the chat!

Smiles, marli
:yeah:

Right On!

GenGen
04-19-2010, 02:31 PM
nope didn't know there was one Ran. i'd like to find one close to home like lewiston but i don't run in to too many dedicated to aquariums as i am locally. i usually just get strange looks if i mention my fish lol

fishouttaH2o
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Good to see you on the forums! Beware Marli....you dont want to know why :bump:

Randog
04-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey Good to see you on the forums! Beware Marli....you dont want to know why :bump:
:confused:

I categorically deny what may or may not have happened at any possible bikini jello wrestling match we may or may not have attended. Or the amount of my-ties you consumed. :dizzy:

marli
04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
You nutcases.

Just wake up and get in the Play Room Randy, Dryfish won't tell me what he is warning you about and I wanna know, dang it! Maybe he'll tell you.

Smiles, marli

Randog
04-19-2010, 05:17 PM
You nutcases.

Just wake up and get in the Play Room Randy, Dryfish won't tell me what he is warning you about and I wanna know, dang it! Maybe he'll tell you.

Smiles, marli
:confused:

I thought he was warning you about me. Being a bad influence and all.

:box:

marli
04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Nah, it's the other way around, but he won't spill.

Smiles, marli

GenGen
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
i just tell all the newbs "be afraid.. be very afraid"

or, hubby likes: "welcome to the dark side.. We have cookies!"

Randog
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
"welcome to the dark side.. We have cookies!"
But I like a cookie.

GenGen
04-19-2010, 10:05 PM
typical guys lol

BettaBetta
04-19-2010, 10:26 PM
:peeking:
Speaking of wild types,... there are a few secluded hot springs up here in :cold: Idaho that have had tanks dumped into. There are swordtails, guppys, convicts (confirmed independent strain in one of the hot springs), Mozambique Mouth-breeders (the males make for a great fish fry while camping), Jack Demseys, etc. I am wondering since these hot springs have had these fish in them for over 20 years now, breeding and surviving on their own, if they can be considered viable strains of their respected species?
Lordy I must be a moron, see how the difference in language works - When I first read this I was having visions of aquariums floating around in hot springs, all bobbing about on the surface (like my little quarantine cube), too funny! I read it over & over and it took me ages to realise that you more than likely mean peeps actually empty their unwanted fish into these hot springs, well I can only guess that's what you meant?

Randog
04-19-2010, 10:47 PM
:peeking:
Lordy I must be a moron, see how the difference in language works - When I first read this I was having visions of aquariums floating around in hot springs, all bobbing about on the surface (like my little quarantine cube), too funny! I read it over & over and it took me ages to realise that you more than likely mean peeps actually empty their unwanted fish into these hot springs, well I can only guess that's what you meant?
Sorry about that BettaBetta. :blush: You would think a guy named Randy Joe would be a little more careful and aware of how he speaks in an international setting "Poured" would have been a better word to use.

BettaBetta
04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
See, now, "Randy Joe" ... to a culturally unaware fool like me, that name kinda, sorta makes this 'ol Aussie sheila wanna get out the banjo & do some duellin' - is that a correct assumption? You know, kinda, sorta where that buxom blonde, possum eatin' Dolly Parton hails from? Dare I say Hillbilly Country? Sigh, mebbees I shoulda looked at google maps before shootin' off my mouth - not that I'd know where hillbilly country is anyways, so moot point.

Randog
04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
See, now, "Randy Joe" ... to a culturally unaware fool like me, that name kinda, sorta makes this 'ol Aussie sheila wanna get out the banjo & do some duellin' - is that a correct assumption? You know, kinda, sorta where that buxom blonde, possum eatin' Dolly Parton hails from? Dare I say Hillbilly Country? Sigh, mebbees I shoulda looked at google maps before shootin' off my mouth - not that I'd know where hillbilly country is anyways, so moot point.
:rofl:

I would admit to have lived in hillbilly country. I wouldn't call my self a hillbilly, but others might. I always hung out with people who consider themselves country folk and most would say cowboys and cowgirls. Since I am allergic to livestock, I could only admit to being a humble hick.

Most Aussies, who have had the pleasurable experience of hearing one of my family members call me Randy Joe, usually say "You poor boy" and then :nono: make lonely kangaroo jokes as soon as my back is turned. :grrr:

I am glad that you are such a sweet woman, who wouldn't go in that direction. Your response was very quaint and reminded me of my bluegrass playing cousins in Peru, Chautauqua County, Kansas. I wish there was an 'emote' for homesickness.

BettaBetta
04-19-2010, 11:56 PM
Aww Randog, I may be a lotta thangs, but sweet sure as heck ain't one of 'em! Having said that though, I'd never take the pi$$ out of someone's name - 'tis not like it's their fault afterall.

Ah, now cowboy & cowgirl I can relate to 'coz I'm a bit of both, giggles. I must admit, we over here do struggle to differentiate between Red Necks & Hillbillies.

Dang, I can't imagine being allergic to livestock, that would be enough to have me slashing my wrists ... nothing like burying yer nose into the neck of a horse or cow & breathing in deeply. I'm one of those sick & twisted puppies who even adores the smell of their dung, and will happily pick it up with bare hands to muck out (or throw at other people).

Steve5495
04-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Is it legal to grow in Idaho?

Randog
04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Is it legal to grow in Idaho?
:thinking:

Grow what?

Are you asking about a specific plant or something? They used to make rope out of it. It you are, it grows legally here, but it is protected. You can't plant it. You can't tend it. You can't harvest it. You can't even knowingly pull it out of your yard, let alone burn it. They liked it so much here, they even named one of the counties in this state after it.

You are talking about camas aren't you? :whistle:

Steve5495
04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
You might be a redneck if your only two tools are WD40 and duct tape. Was yesterday a holiday in Idaho?

Randog
04-21-2010, 03:31 PM
You might be a redneck if your only two tools are WD40 and duct tape. Was yesterday a holiday in Idaho?
I am sure it was for the small pocket of hippys around the BSU campus :rolleyes:, but for the rest of the state it was pretty much business as usual.