PDA

View Full Version : i have only nerites in the tank, why do i have very small babies every

antionetteBlum
04-27-2010, 08:23 AM
there are little baby snails , in my 55 gal, the plants in there were snail free and have been in there for 3 months. the nerite eggs have burst open, and i was about to do my tank rearrange when i noticed i have baby snails everywhere, but this is impossible, no salt,at all in this tank not even a handful.
my other tank had both nerites and pond snails so i figured the babies belonged to the pond snail....but there are no snails in the 55 gal except the nerites. these babies look different from the pond snail babies.
everywhere i check it says no, but is it possible?

ber
baffeled
az
:dry:

lauraleellbp
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
If you're seeing snails most likely they're baby pond snails you cross-contaminated somehow into your 55. Sometimes nerite eggs will hatch in FW, but they rarely survive for very long.

Newly hatched nerites look nothing like snails, they have a larval stage. To date I've never heard of anyone successfully raising them in FW.

antionetteBlum
04-27-2010, 09:41 AM
If you're seeing snails most likely they're baby pond snails you cross-contaminated somehow into your 55. Sometimes nerite eggs will hatch in FW, but they rarely survive for very long.

Newly hatched nerites look nothing like snails, they have a larval stage. To date I've never heard of anyone successfully raising them in FW.
how long do they stay larval?

kush
04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
To date I've never heard of anyone successfully raising them in FW.
I think that's true. But. I have four or five little tiny olive nerites in my 125 that I swear I never bought.

I dose my tanks with iodine monthly and there was a month or two late last fall when I was using (a small amount of) salt in that tank. So I've got to wonder.

On the other hand, I'm always swiping stuff from my clients' tanks so they could have maybe snuck in, although I can't see how.

Still...