PDA

View Full Version : Thiara winteri

Pianoman
05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Anyone know something about these? I know that they don't show the spines until fairly well grown, but their overall appearance is quite interesting. I just picked up four of them to play around with.

Larry

lotsoffish
11-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Hey snapper?

Do you still have these snails? What have you learned regarding them?

I have some too and I can't find much info on them.

I am sick of the Internet, I went through 5 Google search pages and all I found were folks claiming they are rare and they are "good". WTF's that mean? Good tasting? Good at eating PLANTS? Good cuz they didn't die in a week? Good for nothing?

Jesus, post something interesting about them like where they are from, what they eat, how they breed and what temperature they like.

So much for Internet super highway of information. So far all I have learned about them is Bob's Plants says "they are like MTS but way more desirable."

Yeahbut
11-03-2013, 11:52 PM
http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/ansrp/ANSIS/html/tarebia_granifera_quilted_melania.htm
We followed the invasion dynamics of the Oriental thiarid snail Thiara granifera on the Martinique island, French Antilles. This freshwater species was first discovered in 1991 in the Charpentier River, and its spread has since been analysed based on a yearly survey of the malacological fauna at more than 100 sites covering the whole island and representing 50 river systems and three pools. Four river systems were sampled at many sites. Thirteen river systems were colonized by 1997. Colonization within river systems occurred at a speed greater than 1km per year, probably resulting from both active and passive dispersal. Our results can, on the whole, be explained by a simple diffusion process. However, stratified diffusion has to be invoked in at least one river. Moreover, colonization was faster downstream than upstream, suggesting that current velocity plays a significant role in dispersal. Dispersal also occurred between river systems at a mean distance of almost 10km, though with a large variance, in accordance with the scattered colony model of stratified diffusion. The relative frequencies of T. granifera and Melanoides tuberculata, another recent invader of Martinique, were followed at three sites on the Lézarde River. The first species quickly outnumbered the second, though never wiped it out. The data therefore do not support any exclusion phenomena between these two parthenogenetic invaders. Our analysis does not indicate any obvious influence of the rise of T. granifera on the local freshwater fauna.
Thiara granifera is a melaniid snail capable of maintaining very high densities in a variety of habitats. It has been introduced into the New World from the Far East and is now spreading rapidly throughout the Caribbean. In Puerto Rico and Dominica casual observations following natural invasion by T. granifera suggest that it may exert a powerful restraining influence on populations of Biomphalaria glabrata, the major intermediate host of Schistosoma mansoni in the Caribbean. The potential of T. granifera in biological control is being investigated in St. Lucia. In four field trials, B. glabrata was apparently eliminated from marshes and streams six to 22 months after the introduction of T. granifera. Thiara granifera shows promise as a major factor in the suppression of schistosomiasis in the Caribbean, but it is unsuitable for universal use as it is an intermediate host of the lung fluke, Paragonimus westermani.
:scratch: Maybe?

Yeahbut
11-04-2013, 09:43 AM
I looked up winteri and found

Drimys winteri
South American evergreen tree

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/ButYeah/07069a0ed58640fadb625ae94ca16a02_zps62e42e95.jpg

And
Cleistocactus winteri
Habit Evergreen, perennial
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/ButYeah/841bee65e19c3a9fa33026a1a9410f38_zps00c82087.jpg

I looked up .. Thiara
Thiara (gastropod) - is a genus of freshwater snails,
aquatic gastropod mollusks in the family Thiaridae.

I looked up Thiara winteri

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/ButYeah/cf13c668e3c8bae5cc624842e4375af8_zps1de5e161.jpg
These snails have thorns on their shells!

Care: Similar to Melanoides sp. aka Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

Ph above 7 is preferred to keep their shells pristine.

Feeding off of leftover foods,
algae wafers and whatever they can get. They do not harm healthy plants.
They behave similarly to malaysian trumpet snails.
Peaceful and aerates the substrate for you!

The thing about these guys is that they have thorns on their shells!
Their shell difference shows them to be a little stockier than the traditional Malaysian Trumpet snails. On top of that, they have thorns on every whorl on the shell. Each snail varies and may lack thorns here and there. They breed similarly to Malaysian Trumpets, where they hold their eggs in and release the babies once they hatch. So in a sense, they are "live-bearing snails", much like Malaysian Trumpets.
Some snails carry a hint of yellow on them. It varies on each individual.

Online sources say that captive offspring do NOT carry thorns anymore.
However, I see little babies that are carrying small thorns.
They are not as pronounced as wild ones, I suppose. I'm not sure what triggers this to be honest.

In any case, these are rare snails in the US.

I have limited amounts available, first PM first serve.
Note that they breed the same was as Malaysian Trumpets, so you don't need much to start off a colony.

Minimum order of 5 pcs.

Thiara Winteri - $3 each
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/sale-trade/61127-fs-thiara-winteri-rare-snail.html