PDA

View Full Version : Thingies in my Daphnia; what to do?

doctorgori
05-19-2010, 03:08 PM
In the past I've accidentally introduced dragonfly nymphs in my tanks with disasterous results...now I see a new thingie and I'm wondering if it to will grow into something I don't want around...

I'm thinking a laval stage of something, but what..and what is it feeding on in my daphnia tubs...daphnia perhaps?
Anyway anyone have a clue what this is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/doctorgori/whatisit.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/doctorgori/whatsthishead.jpg

kush
05-19-2010, 03:10 PM
It looks like a nymph, too.

doctorgori
05-19-2010, 04:22 PM
only thing is I was used to bulging eyes on the dragon fly larvae...but if you look there are 6 legs, so no dobt it's the larvae of "sumthin"

Pianoman
05-19-2010, 04:57 PM
It looks like a damselfly nymph. Similar to a dragonfly larvae, but smaller and more delicate.

It's still dangerous to small fish.

doctorgori
05-19-2010, 06:21 PM
So basically the things are feasting on my daphnia till they get big? We'll see about that
here is a page showing the two side by side...
http://www.nature-diary.co.uk/2004-08-05.htm
Still, the pic I have doesn't match exactly, but damelfly larvae does seem to be the closest match

kush
05-19-2010, 06:39 PM
I only said it looks like a nymph. Could be something else. Might not even be from this planet. Could just keep growing and growing until one night it smashes through a window frame and eats you in your bed.

oneSockShort
05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
kind of looks like that thing that Kahn put in Chekov's ear

Randog
05-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Damsels and Dragonfly larva have an extra set of jaws hanging down below the regular ones that shot out and grab their prey, like those crazy aliens that Segornie Weaver used to hang out with. You know, before she moved in with those giant smurfs.

Goober
05-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Looks like some sort of water beetle larvae to me .
How big is it ?

doctorgori
05-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I only said it looks like a nymph. Could be something else. Might not even be from this planet. Could just keep growing and growing until one night it smashes through a window frame and eats you in your bed.
...another planet is a possibility.... :thinking:

kind of looks like that thing that Kahn put in Chekov's ear
...See what I mean :confused: (but yup it does, <I know the EXACT scene> only not as fat or slimey)

Damsels and Dragonfly larva have an extra set of jaws hanging down below the regular ones that shot out and grab their prey, like those crazy aliens that Segornie Weaver used to hang out with. You know, before she moved in with those giant smurfs.
...then why is it all I remember is that white T-Shirt she was wearing? Further proof silicone and D-cups are somewhat over-rated (I said "somewhat") :snicker:

How big is it
About .75 inch...not big really....but I've obviously not noticed nymphs before, so I suppose anything/everything starts out small...
I got some rare/pricey wild swordtals & killifish and would keel over if any of the fry got eaten,,,, :mad2: pissed wold be an understatement