PDA

View Full Version : Lower Starting Bids?

RMC
05-25-2010, 08:20 AM
There's been a lot of complaints lately that prices are too high even with the cost of utilities, supplies, shipping, and fuel climbing. I am really getting concerned about this and was wondering if perhaps I should start my auctions off at say $0.67 instead of the outrageous amount of a whole dollar.

Is it even possible to start an auction off at less than a dollar? I think there may be something to the strategy of buying high, selling low, and making it up with volume.

:king:

erinmcc
05-25-2010, 08:46 AM
I think people need to realize fish keeping is a (somewhat) expensive hobby and quit being a bunch of cheap babies. With the amount of locally owned fish stores on the decline (damn near extinct where i live), AB and sites like it are becoming the norm to find most things aquatic. And when it's ordering online, you have to pay for shipping. You don't like the shipping costs? Find it local or complain to USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL or any other shipping company.
I've made quite a few friends on this board and others and I've gotten a lot of great deals and definitely more strains of fish than I can find locally. Only advice I can give is make friends, initiate trades, do RAOK OR expect to pay out the nose for everything you want. :D

apistodave
05-28-2010, 08:00 PM
You do like Walmart Mark--you sell really really low till you drive the competition out, then you raise your prices.

lauratowerhunt
06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
yeah, I'm beginning to think I need to change my hobby over to local flora and fauna, maybe local insects. Still get to use my aquariums, they have holes on top, don't use up utilities, and well don't have to pay shipping. Hate to say it but the prices wouldn't be considered high but when you see how much shipping is so you can get a live guarentee on your purchase I think it is getting too expensive for me. I'm breeding my own now to replenish. I agree it's not cheap but I'm getting to the point I might have to start going back to Petco and Petsmart and just buy alot of meds to put in with them to keep them alive...lol...

I get what you're saying but my credit card can't take much more...grin.. :exclam:

rbeauchemin
06-06-2010, 04:31 AM
you can start the bidding lower. i think it would be nicer if the sellers lowered the bid increments instead

vegetarian_great_white
06-06-2010, 03:39 PM
you can start the bidding lower. i think it would be nicer if the sellers lowered the bid increments instead
I don't think this'll help. You expect the auction to go a few whole dollars up, not to end within a fraction of a dollar. At that point it doesn't really matter if you increase by a dollar or a quarter. Increasing by smaller increments will only end up with a longer list of who bumped who in a normal auction.

The killer is the shipping cost that comes out of the buyer's pocket but doesn't go into the seller's pocket. The situtation where the total price is reasonable to the buyer and total less shipping price is reasonable to the seller is when the auction is for a relatively expensive fish or for a mixed box of a lot of things. There the seller can afford selling for 5 bucks less and the buyer can afford paying 10 bucks more (or scale it for whatever you have in mind) and both parties can be happy. Small items are difficult no matter how low the bidding starts.

So, I think unless you a have an acquired taste for a certain thing and you have to have it no matter what it costs, only auctions with items that are above a certain value can do well.

sickpills2009
07-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I might be touching in on a sticky subject but here goes. I have saw some auctions that the shipping for 2-3 day go up to $20.00-25.00 if not more. Some places do charge that I understand and that is fine. But also at the same time the USPS have these nice boxes that come in a medium and large flat rate box for a flat rate price. I can understand to charge a little more than that to cover the bags, O2, and isolation etc...... I know my self things aren't cheap. But I have noticed as a seller and a buyer that if shipping is low you are more than likely to sell your fishy higher vs higher shipping lower auction price. I have also went as far to offer free shipping. All of us know what fish are worth, we are just looking for the right person to come along and bid and bid right. If it's something they want they will buy it now matter what the cost is.
My next day price stays the same 35.00 no matter what unless it is for a really big fish. ( which I don't sell anymore of them now) I have times where I have had to pay over the amount that I collected for shipping but in the end that is the way it goes. You yourself is happy and the customer is now happy.