PDA

View Full Version : Evening light question for Marble Crays

fire97
06-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Ok I a couple of marble crays and have a day time timer for daylight from 8am-8pm. I want to beable to watch them later givin I stay up past midnight most nights and want to watch them givin they are more active at night. What color bulbs should I use to watch them? Red or blue? I want what ever will be more natural so they will come out of their caves and be active. Thanks for any advice. Oh one more question. I want to get some more crays to put in a tank of their own. What ones get really big really fast? What ones get 6"+ and breed easy?:help:

I could change the time on the timer but that would probally only confuse them. I live in a basement with a couple small windows that let in. If I had a room I could close off I would set their night and day differently.

Yah marli we had that talk the other night when I was in chat. I found this cool site http://www.buylighting.com/ This site should have what I'm looking for cheep. Thanks again for the advice :yeah:

Soft Spot for Fish/Dogs
06-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Can you put the timer on a different schedule? Like maybe from 2-2 or 4-4??? I have two rooms that I have the tanks on about 10/12 hours starting at approx. 10 or midnight. The rest are from noon to midnight. or 2 untill midnight.

erinmcc
06-26-2010, 06:41 PM
LED moonlights?

Underwhelmed
06-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Mine are on a timer from 2 PM to 10 PM. They come out and aren't as shy as yours, but I am watching them from across the room.

If you don't want to change the timer, you might try some moonlight led lights as erinmcc suggested. I got some from eBay that are pretty sweet.

rbeauchemin
06-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Australian red claws get big - think 12-13 inches, and breed readily.

they are also pretty flashy:

http://www.leopardaquatic.com/images/products/lobster_quadricarinatus.jpg

I don't know how commonly available they are though. I've seen them on sale occasionally where I am, about $20 a pair, but I have no idea if this is a good price or not. Considering how many eggs a female carries at once, I'd think they'd be a cash cow at that price! Dang, maybe I'll go get some too....

marli
06-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I could swear I've had this conversation before...maybe not with you? Weird...

Well, in the chat, with whoever it was, I had suggested a red flashlight to see close viewing, as that's what I use in the salt tank to watch the worms and such at night. PB suggested the blue moon lights (which I hadn't thought of because they are already on all my tanks and work great, btw), and said that (I think, don't hold my feet to the fire Brian, if I get it wrong) they couldn't see blue light.

*cringes*

Anyway, personally I love the moon lights; if you sit in a very dark room and adjust your eyes you can see EVERYTHING that's going on. But for close watching, like sitting with your nose to the glass, a red flashlight is great too. Won't wake the fishes either.

Smiles, marli