PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to catch shrimp?

Griton
07-18-2010, 07:20 AM
I have an ever expanding colony of snowballs and I would like to give some to one of my friends who came here everyday to take care of fish and other animals while I was in the hospital as a thank you. The tank they are in is very heavily planted with lots and lots of nooks and crannies. What is the safest way to catch her a nice number without risking injury to them? Is there a good way to trap them somehow?

Thanks in advance! Carmon

hca75
07-18-2010, 07:47 AM
The easiest way i have found so far.... and i tried this AFTER i unplanted most of a planted tank trying to net them out..... lol..... was to drop the net in the tank, then add some food to the net, and wait till they coming running....then just scoop them out .

seiji64
07-18-2010, 08:03 AM
You can make a shrimp trap out of most any plastic bottle. Here's a nice example on how to make one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb_k2Wg9ayI

Doug

Underwhelmed
07-18-2010, 08:06 AM
The easiest way is to make a shrimp trap and let the shrimp catch themselves. It is much less stressful for the shrimp as well.

Here is a YouTube video showing how to make one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb_k2Wg9ayI

I made one, it works really well. I have baited mine with Plecocaine and Hikari Crab Cuisine, both work well. I find that the trap is best used just after turning out the lights on the tank for the evening, but it will work at any time.

I would just caution you not to leave it unattended, as the shrimp really pile in and there is no water circulation in the trap. You wouldn't want to set it and check it in the morning, because you would most likely have fatalities.

I used a similarly shaped Minute Maid juice bottle in an 8 oz. size and caught more shrimp than I needed to ship.

I don't like Gatorade and didn't really trust that it would all be easily removed from the bottle. i figured anything that color was bound to leave something bad in the bottle. :barf:

hca75
07-18-2010, 08:55 AM
im gonna have to try that one!!! :)

Griton
07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks! I actually made a little trap like that for them before but I don't think I had figured out bait that they actually wanted! I'll give those suggestions a try! Carmon

rbeauchemin
07-19-2010, 03:27 AM
if you want, I can send you the ultimate shrimp and snail bait, but be warned, I think you'll be hooked! :D

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RuQ5mIPEf1M/TEQZsn0M7MI/AAAAAAAAFEg/hm5z2iA1LHY/IMGP0688.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RuQ5mIPEf1M/TEQZ8EJgduI/AAAAAAAAFEs/Lab5Ap7vU-g/shrimppellet2.jpg

shrimp feeding shot courtesy of mollicus

Griton
07-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Wow! What is that? They look like they love it! I've tried my usual algae wafers and also sushi seaweed wraps and no real interest at all so I'd love to know more!

rbeauchemin
07-19-2010, 10:19 AM
those are spinach pellets :)

seiji64
07-19-2010, 04:29 PM
A couple other "treat" foods I feed my shrimp are:
1) canned or frozen green beans. If frozen, buy organic and boil for about 10 minutes until soft or they can easily be sliced into pieces. If canned, salted or unsalted are both fine. Just cut them into small bits. My BT's and cherries go crazy over them.
2) canned or frozen peas. Same rules as for the green beans. Shell the peas and cut into smaller bits, if needed.
I store the excess in the fridge in a covered container in water where they'll last for at least a week or 2 - just change the water out every day or every other. If the water ever gets cloudy, just chuck 'em to be safe. I prefer the frozen variety because I can cook up small batches when I need them.
Fwiw, my dwarf crays really like the peas.

Doug

This is a green bean pile up:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/4267995934_99dd8514cd_o.jpg

Underwhelmed
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
If you buy canned green beans, french cut works best for me. They are already sliced and cooked.

Freeze whatever you won't need and you can keep some in a plastic resealable bowl in the fridge for a couple of days.

Griton
07-20-2010, 08:33 AM
That's great, thanks! I've got both frozen green beans and peas right now! My friend was over yesterday and is very excited about getting her very own little colony of snowballs so I'll try some of their new treats tonight to see which they like best.

You guys are all great!

lauraleellbp
07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
The easiest way i have found so far.... and i tried this AFTER i unplanted most of a planted tank trying to net them out..... lol..... was to drop the net in the tank, then add some food to the net, and wait till they coming running....then just scoop them out .
That's what I do. All my shrimp go bonkers for Hikari catfish wafers and Shirakura shrimp food.

lilmissruffcountry
10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I think my shrimp are too smart for this trap..so far I have set the traps with a little bit of this and a little of that..and so far all I can catch are guppies and snails....anyone got a different kind of trap idea for trapping shrimp?