PDA

View Full Version : calcium

novacat
08-26-2010, 08:03 PM
what would you add into a snail tank to give them more calcium? :help:

Underwhelmed
08-26-2010, 08:11 PM
A cuttle bone (like for birds) would work. Also, I hear good things about Ken's Veggie sticks with added Calcium.

Some people make snail jello and add human supplement Calcium to that, I never have, but I think there is a recipe here somewhere.

beth
08-26-2010, 08:12 PM
why do you think the snails need more calcium?

feed them those veggie sticks with added calcium from kensfish.com

if the shells are eroding, getting pitted or generally looking crappy, calcium alone won't fix it unless there is ample carbonate, shells are CaCO3. if your water is acid and/or has low kH all the calcium in the world won't help.

kush
08-26-2010, 08:16 PM
What kind of filter are you running? I use crushed coral knotted into an old nylon in my canister filter, mostly to raise my KH from 0.5 to 3 and stabilize the pH but it also helps with the tendency of nerite snails to melt in soft, acidic water. I have also put it into the riser tube between a sponge filter and a powerhead. Basically, it should work anywhere you get water flowing over it. Be sure to check your KH from one water change to the next for a week or so to get a feel for how your water is affected. Dosing monthly with marine iodine is also good for your inverts.

novacat
08-26-2010, 08:34 PM
my well water has a ph of 6.8 to 7. i do not know the hardness. i guess i will need to pick up a test kit for that. what i had noticed on my livebearer snails was pits and small white areas. i had read online that this shows a possiblity of low calcium. My tank tests out before water changes at around 7.7 to 7.8 ph and drops to 7.5 after water change. my tank is 36 gallons and i do a 10 gallon water change every 4 days. i use a 40gallon hob filter with dual sponge prefilters on the intake. i also use a 4 inch long air stone. the other residents of the tank are numerous guppies and 5 cory cats along with 3 large adult livebearer snails and about new 20 babylivebearer snails and one brown ramshorn snail, java moss and lots of floating plants. the baby livebearer snails just started showing up about 2 weeks ago.

kush
08-26-2010, 09:00 PM
You need to test for KH. The fact that your pH increases between water changes, rather than decreases, as is more usual, is a little puzzling - it sure doesn't point to soft acidic water being remotely an issue. Do you have any decorative shells, odd rocks, funky substrate or anything else unusual in there?

Underwhelmed
08-26-2010, 09:05 PM
I've seen similar spots on wild caught live bearing snails. I assumed it was some type of snail parasite.

My PH and Hardness are optimal, and they have plenty of Calcium in their diet. Also it only appears on the wild caught live bearing snails.

novacat
08-27-2010, 07:23 PM
i use a small size aquarium gravel, natural stone not colored and some monpai driftwood. my orignal question about the calcium is because of all the new baby snails, i want to make sure that i am giving then the right mineral content for good growth. i tested the ph again with a friends test kit and got a different reading. my kit showed 7.7 and his showed 7.5. i think i will get a new test kit for ph when i pick up the other test kit. he uses test strips where i use the liquad kit.

lotsoffish
08-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Don't waste your hard earned money on test kits.

Feed those baby snails some of Kens Veggie sticks with calcium and some canned green beans every night and waste your hard earned money on my auctions! :evil:

novacat
09-22-2010, 06:36 PM
pete i took your advise on the green beans and wow the snails seem to love them. i started out trying 2 a night and the next morning there was just a mound of snails and next to nothing left of the green beans. i am now putting 3 or 4 in the tank every other night and still next to nothing left the next morning. their shells are looking much better. i will order some of the veggie sticks as soon as i can.
as usual all the advise that you and everyone else give in these forums is great. it sure helps to know that there is a place to go to get good advise and a good laugh now and then.