PDA

View Full Version : crayfish vs live plants question

fishaddict
09-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Is there any live plants they won't eat? :censor: I keep putting fresh greens in the tank but they seem to prefer the plants. :grrr: Is my tank doomed to having half eaten plants?

Skiboy
09-21-2010, 04:19 PM
yes

lilmissruffcountry
09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
The only things those things wont detroy (as easily) is wood or rocks...plants are going to be shredded no matter what you put in there.

Jester
10-19-2010, 03:24 PM
So far my Marbled Crays have had fun shredding Java Moss, Anacharis, and Kyoto Grass. I'm pretty sure if they could easily reach the duckweed floating on top, they would eat that too.

I have some Amazon Swords and Wisteria in there as well, which they haven't really bothered (yet). I'll likely just keep cycling different plants through their tank until I find enough that they aren't really interested in.

Nabobmob1
10-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I have 3 Marbled Crays in a 47 Bow fully planted with cripts, hygro, vals, and Anubius and I only have issues when the tank is loaded with an excessive juvie population. I feed a mix of foods 4 times a day and include Green Beans in my rotation. Tank mates include Cories tetras Hillstream loaches and Juvie Angels and Discus and have had no agression issues either.

Underwhelmed
10-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I had no trouble with just one marble in a planted 30 long, but if you keep several they will indeed strip most anything green. And yes, they will eat duckweed, frogbit, mini water lettuce, or salvinia if they can get to it.

Also, if you keep several of them together they seem to berry at a younger and smaller size than if they are kept alone. I had a single marble in a 30 long and 4 in a 20 long. They were acquired as 1 inch juvies. They took 4 months before they all berried within a week or so of each other at about 4 inches in size. I now have a tank with 25 or so of the resulting offspring and they berried up at the 2 inch size. They didn't have as many eggs as the larger females did, but the eggs were fertile none the less.