PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Rabbit Snail issues

crazygregg
10-28-2010, 08:58 PM
I picked up some yellow Rabbit Snails the other day & the little buggers don't seem to want to come out of their shells. At the store they were all healthy & active munchin on a cucumber but since I for them home all they have done is popped their doors open & looked out a bit. Are they normally shy or do I just have somthing wrong or oddballs?

CrazyCavy
10-28-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't know much about them but mine are all over the tank. I've only had them about a month. I have plants and zucchini in the tank. Some of them do seem more active than others. I'd like to find out breeding info - like size & age for breeding. I couldn't find much on the internet.

rbeauchemin
10-29-2010, 12:47 AM
hey gregg, what temp do you have your tank at? I had some that refused to come out and I put them in a warmer tank and they started moving around much more.

Underwhelmed
10-29-2010, 05:11 AM
They like their water temp around 82 F. If it's cooler they don't seem to do much.

crazygregg
10-29-2010, 09:47 AM
I keep all my tanks at around 78. I moved them to a different tank that has My Scarlet Badis & COry Ortagi in & one popped right out & took off the other one keeps opening his door & looking around but has yet to really move.

Underwhelmed
10-29-2010, 10:29 AM
I forgot to add, they like a bit of meaty food too, mine like blood worms and earthworm sticks. I give them algae discs and sliced baby carrots too, but they really seem to enjoy something with a bit more protein content.

lotsoffish
10-29-2010, 07:58 PM
I keep all my tanks at around 78. I moved them to a different tank that has My Scarlet Badis & COry Ortagi in & one popped right out & took off the other one keeps opening his door & looking around but has yet to really move.

Hello nutcase.

If they don't start moving around and continue to seem lethargic I would consider either setting up a special "hot" tank for them or I would sell them off.

All the rabbit snails I have dealt with seem to be very active, curious animals UNLESS I am not keeping them warm enough. As soon as my outdoor temperatures started dropping and my tanks finally cooled off to more "normal" temperatures I noticed all the rabbit snails I have also started to slow down and stay in their shells more. As soon as I actually kicked my gas heaters on and the tanks warmed back up (I am known to really keep my tanks cooking) they also came back to life.

Therefore, I think rabbit snails just plain old need to be kept warm. I think if you keep them cooler they will become lethargic, and enter a sort of semi dormant state which will probably lead them to stop eating, remain listless, lose weight and eventual death.

lotsoffish
10-29-2010, 08:08 PM
You know something crazygregg? I just remembered, you're also the guy who was screwing around with the Oryzias.

Those Oryzias like it hot too. If I was you I would put those rabbit snails in a tank with your Oryzias, kick up the temperature to about 84 and feed the hell out of them and in a few Months you should have enough Rice fish and enough Rabbit snails, in that tank, to start selling them to try to cover the costs of your higher electric bill. :evil: