PDA

View Full Version : My introduction

Sergio
01-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi all

I'm new to the forum and I guess relatively new to Aquabid (have bought some things from some of you already).

Anyway I'm a biologist and have had tanks all my life. I keep mostly fish from the Poecilidae and Osphronemidae families since I find them fascinating, besides their beauty I'm very interested in their behavior and genetics (my research is not in fish though). Right now I have a 29 gal, two 10's, three 5's and several smaller containers.

I'm into really low tech aquariums so many of my tanks don't even have a filter. And in the past I have had some nice planted tanks without lighting by a window. I like trying to assemble such "almost self sustainable" tanks. I'm originally from Colombia and while doing field work I could observe the conditions under which some fish live (or survive for some time), and I guess that's how I got into unfiltered tanks.

As for breeding I like growing the fry in low tech tanks which clearly reduces grow rate (not stunting it, just slowing it) and the number of fry that make it (at least for bettas, gouramies and paradise fish) but its more "natural". Although I am cheating a bit now with the bettas using microworms. I'm playing a bit now with deroworms and Daphnia magna, I think they are the future of live food for small fish, although I'm still not able to produce enough to maintain my fish only on them.

Anyway just wanted to introduce myself

Thank you all for maintaining this community and specially Mark for starting all this.

Sergio

BigBen
01-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Welcome'

ilroost
01-08-2011, 05:50 PM
welcome from illinois

fishouttaH2o
01-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Welcome,

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

-dryfish

Aqpkg
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the Aquaboards!

wicca25
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM
hi from kenutcky. i also have several no filter tanks. right now my 20 long is that way with only light on it and housing blue fin killie babys. cant wait to hear more about what you are doing.

Beattyfish
01-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Glad to meet you, and welcome!

Sergio
01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi again

Thank you all for welcoming me

I made a short article on unfiltered aquariums. I tried giving an idea of how I got to do so and the practical notes on how to do it. I just realized I didn't explain much about how I think it works, I will do so later.

Sergio

Msdevine
01-22-2011, 11:30 AM
Welcome Sergio, Interesting. All my tanks have filters and I would love to do without some... ?

bowtieken
01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome to AB, from Pittsburgh, PA

Sergio
02-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey all

Thanks again for the welcoming

I just edited a bit the article on the unfiltered tanks to add a hypothesis on what I think happens, so if you are interested check it some time.

Sergio
02-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Welcome Sergio, Interesting. All my tanks have filters and I would love to do without some... ?
You should really try the extreme version. From your posts I have read on the forum it seems like it should be quite easy for you to get a 10 gallon going. Try a 10 gallon with just window light (as long as the room has some sort of temperature control it should be fine) and soil as a substrate, pick very though, low light plants, plant it densely, and trow some snails and a pair of some small fish you would like to breed. You will be very happy with the result.

SithLord
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Hello my name is SithLord and i just registered here in AquaBoards. Im new so i dont really know how to work this site, but ima tell you guys a little bit about myself.
Ive had aquariums since i was born, and as a little kid i enjoyed looking at the fish swim and play. I had a 10 gallon most of my life with goldfish and a crayfish, but now i have a 30 gallon long with, 1 black ghost knife fish, black moor goldfish, 6 red platys, 6 tattooed tetras, 1 angelfish, 1 golden gourami and a albino pangasius shark and a regular black pangasious shark.

SithLord
02-21-2011, 11:38 PM
idk what its called, (thread,forum,discussion)
but i want to start one but i dont know how to. i know how to start a blog but nothing else. im new, help please

Denisetwin
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
SithLord, click on the tab "Forum" at the top of the page, then click on one of the Forums listed as choices below. Once you are in a an individual forum, you can click on the "Post New Thread" at the top of the screen just between the tabs for "Forum" "Chat" etc and the threads listed . Hope this helps.