PDA

View Full Version : assassins are getting murdered

vegetarian_great_white
02-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Hello folks,

A mixture of observations, questions and some rant:

I got some assassin snails to put in my shrimp tank and get pond snails under control. The moment I put them in the tank, they started cruising around with their long thingies extended. So I was happy that they were acting healthy, for about half a minute until my red-claw shrimp were all over them. I knew the red-claws were a mean bunch and chase my red cherries and each other around here and there but there were no serious injury. As a matter of fact, I have never seen they succeed in pinching anything alive so I was thinking they are all show. Even though they like eating pond snails when I crush the snails for them, they don't go after the healthy snails themselves. With the assassins things were totally different. They red-claws were actually able to hold them by the tube and if they couldn't, they were grabbing the whole snail and trying push them in their mouth. Needless to say, I quickly picked the assassins up and put them in another tank with some fish fry and ramshorns. Now, because I didin't want the assassins to deplete my ramshorns, I had to colelct some of them and put in the shrimp tank that I was trying to rid off of snails.

I understand red-claws are opportunistic predators but they have been pretty benign so far. Do you know what they are good with, what particularly gets them crazy like that? (They were just fine with cherry red shrimp, pond snails and killifish.) Is this a territory thing? (Other residents were already there when red-claws were introduced but maybe assassins were too recognizable as new comers?)

So, any similar experience with either the red-claw shrimp or assassins? Are there other critters you know of that assassins won't mix with (already know loaches, large cichlids, other large goldfish etc.)?

I want to find out under what circumstances I can introduce an assassin exterminator crew and then get them out without losing them I but I also want to find out what community possibilities (or rather impossibilities) are there for red-claws and assassins.

Pianoman
02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I have watched red-claw shrimp take ramshorn snails right out of their shells and eat them up. Each of the tanks I have with red-claws in them has a pile of empty snail shells on the bottom.

vegetarian_great_white
02-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Too bad they don't do it with the pond snails. At least I never caught them doing it. Raising ramshorns for assassins in the red-claw tank will not be a great idea then. I doubt that red-claws are very effective though. They would be as hot as assassin snails otherwise.

tigi78840
02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I've never had a red claw, but I have a marmokreb who cracks open ramshorns like pistachios and gobbles them. It's actually kind of amusing,lol, and I assume she eats the pond snails too, because there USED to be alot in there.....

vegetarian_great_white
02-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks. I'll be more careful with what goes in their tank.

Pianoman
02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Too bad they don't do it with the pond snails. At least I never caught them doing it. Raising ramshorns for assassins in the red-claw tank will not be a great idea then. I doubt that red-claws are very effective though. They would be as hot as assassin snails otherwise.

The problem with red-claws is that you would need a tank of females to do it. Males get large enough to go after full-grown guppies and will not tolerate another male in the tank. I have tanks of young ones and that's where I find the piles of empty shells.

vegetarian_great_white
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I have 5 of them in a 10G with cherry shrimp and a pair of killies. Two are males but there is enough plants and junk in the tank for them to easily avoid each other. If they grow larger or breed a few more males I can see the trouble coming. The dominant male is impressive and you are right, they look like they can take down small fish. They haven't been aggressive so far though (or unsuccessful in the few comical attempts they made) except the recent assassin snail event. I had read somewhere that their behavior could be variable.

Very interesting creatures.