PDA

View Full Version : What Kills Mystery Snail?

Msdevine
03-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I added some Flourish Excel to my tanks, It is killing the snails .Anyone else have this problem?

hca75
03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
I wish I could help, but i have heard of others with the same problem. I use miricle grow and job's plant sticks broken up really small for the rooted plants... never any problems.

Msdevine
03-30-2011, 11:52 AM
well, might have to change miricle grow is cheaper.. and I hate my assassin snails to die... a tank full.

hca75
03-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Pete did an experiment last summer... with miracle grow... Ive been using it since... Its 1/4 tsp per 20 gals.... I do it right after a large water change. just the reg all purpouse stuff...and yes a big box last forever!!!! i mix the tiny bit in with a small amount of tank water to disolve, then just dump it in.

beth
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
SeaChem Flourish Excel is a source of bio available carbon. MiracleGrow is a source of macro nutrients (NPK). Not interchangeable, not even similar.

hca75
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
just saying thats all im using...

Scottnjenny
03-30-2011, 01:37 PM
What are the specs on your planted tanks and what is happening to make you feel that you need the Flourish?

The reason that I ask is that the vast majority of planted tanks don't need fertilizers. Unless you are growing plants for sale, keeping a high light tank with injected CO2, or doing something along the lines of an Amano/Dutch setup you likely dont need it.

My first move would be to consider stopping the Flourish. That is, assuming it's actually what's causing the snail deaths. Are you doing anything else like large water changes at the same time?

ilroost
03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
have the same problem here, i think it has something to do with my well water. hca75 i've been using the miracle grow after reading petes post and it is working great

hca75
03-30-2011, 05:57 PM
I love the blue stuff- lol... I dont even need to do it often, or everything turns into a jungle... almost overnight...

As for the snails- i havent a clue...:( Ive just heard of others that have had mystery deaths after using excel... for their plants ,so ive stayed away from the stuff. But i only do medium lighting, no co2 on my tanks... just give em a boost now and then with the blue stuff... :D

greyfox
03-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Could the carbon possibly have displaced too much O2? Did you add according to the directions, or just pour a little in and possibly have put in too much? I don't know the answer....just throwing this out there. Actually the only time I use Excel is to battle hair algae.

beth
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
These are the ingredients of Miracle Gro
Ammonium phosphate
Urea
Potassium chloride
Boric acid
Copper sulfate
Iron EDTA
Magnesium EDTA
Urea phosphate
Zinc sulfate
Sodium molybdate

That form of copper is the same as used in meds, bad for inverts. Urea added to water gives off ammonia.

It's generally believed that the ideal ratio of Nitrogen to Phosphates is 10 N to 1 P for aquatics plants. Miracle Gro has a ratio on 1 N to 2 P. Adding nitrates in addition to what the fish etc will produce is likely to be more N than plants can eliminate without supplemental CO2 and high light.

The nutrient most likely to be missing in the unfertilized aquarium is potassium. You can sprinkle French's No Salt sodium free salt alternative into the tank and probably get similar results with a lot less risk. If you ask around long enough you will find people who have had deaths from Miracle Gro. There are safer alternatives which are just as cheap.

Not saying anyone should stop using it, ONLY that if it's being used because it is cheap there are other safer things just as inexpensive.

Anyways, MsDevine was wondering about Excel harming snails. I have used Excel at double the recommended dose (for algae) and did not have any snails die, including a few juvenile mystery snails which were in there.

I have had plants react badly to Excel but not fish, snails or shrimp. But I have never used more than about double the stated dose.

Is it possible you overdosed it? I guess the other possibility is that it reacted with something in the water. Or it wasn't the excel that killed them, might just be a coincidence.

hca75
03-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Geezzzzz... Lighten up will ya???? :D PLease???? :D

Not trying to argue... that could be a whole other thread. I just stated what i've heard has happened to others with it... and what i use... that is all. Ive got shrimps and snails everywhere, and its not hurting any of them, they are actually breeding like bunnies. But I do crazier things than throw copper, nitrates and ammonia in my tanks... wild collected plants, critters, leaves,rocks and wood go in there too... always have. DIRT and all. Yet my fishies are fine, as are the inverts.

We all do things differant. To each their OWN... diversity is good... so are options. As for the rule book on how to approach life... I threw that out years ago...LOL, its soooo much funner that way... :D

Mickmac247
03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
HCA that made my day..lol cant wait to hear what Pete thinks about the info posted knowing he is a bit reserved in his opinions.lol NOT