PDA

View Full Version : what can a snail eat?

SithLord
04-02-2011, 11:08 AM
im not sure what species the snail is, but its the size of a big marble or a quarter. i havent put in anything for it to eat because i dont know what it can eat. i saw it eating algae 2 days ago off my tank walls. will it survive off that? if not what can i feed it? anything i can find in my house? thanks :bow: :crazy:

p.s its a freshwater snail in my 30G aquarium

hca75
04-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Extra fish food, algea, algea wafers, canned green beans, fresh blanched carrots, spinach, romain lettuce, squash....cucumber slices....they LOVE veggies!!!!

Griton
04-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I have quite a few snails, nerites and rams horns. A souple of times a week I break up an algae wafer for them or drop in a couple of shrimp pellets or bottom feeder tablets and they do great.

tigi78840
04-04-2011, 11:10 AM
In my opinion, a buncha people use snails as vaccum cleaners, just to clean up uneaten food, but the best results I've been having with my snails are when I feed them veggies. Slice and weight down a slice or chunk of cucumbers, or squash, or zuchini. If you don't want to weight it , you can toss it in some boiling water just for a minute till it sinks in the pot. I slice and boil a whole one at a time, so I caan keep it in a ziplock to use whenever I need it. You can toss a chunk of carrot in there, romaine lettuce, (ice burg doesn't have much nutrition, I hear) if you have a can of green beans, you can drop them in there and they sink, and fish and snails both love all this crap. I take it basically any veg we eat for dinner pretty much can be used for them,( minus the condiments and salt and pepper,lol) you can thaw and pinch the guts out of a thawed frozen or canned pea. for calcium suppliments you can drop a tums or even a half of one) in there upon water change(I wouldn't do any minty flavor) or do the same with any oyster shell calcium pill( I use the cheap 500mg w/ vitamin d) or you can alsobuy a cuttle bone ( the kind for birds) and drop a peice in there. (It's a calcium supplement for birds, BUT made outta cuttle fish bone, I believe) and that's all I got for now,lol

SithLord
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
thank you all! :D

Inkie
05-14-2011, 06:09 PM
http://ramshorns.webs.com

Check out my website, all about Ramshorns and freshwater snails!! :)

melliebelly
10-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Just be careful your algae wafers dont have copper in them. copper can be fatal to snails