View Full Version : Ship your SHRIMP!

Aqpkg
05-16-2011, 08:40 PM
:D:D:D:D:D Spread the shrimp wealth!

Check it out:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwmixed&1306463771

Skiboy
05-17-2011, 07:46 AM
I would NEVER ship live stuff in that size box. They tend to "Roll" on the conveyor systems that move freight. A regional priority#1 would be a MUCH better choice.

Aqpkg
05-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Skiboy! I have received and shipped tons and tons of shrimp and other aquatic pets in this box. While I can see it makes logically sense that a cube box may tumble more than an oblong box. Do you have proof of this? Everything I have ever received in the 7x7x6 Priority has come in alive and done very well.

It continues to be a favorite and popular choice among those shipping smaller fish/invertebrates and is why I offer it.

Bluegreen
05-17-2011, 11:36 AM
I have also used the 7x7x6 to ship thousands of shrimp with no issues.

Skiboy
05-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Just personal experience. I received two orders in those boxes, both had crushed corners and DOA's so I just don't use them.

beth
05-17-2011, 04:35 PM
IMO that size box is too small to put a heatpack in. When lined it's only about 1/10th of a cubic foot.

The last time I got one of those #4 priority boxes with a heat pack in it the contents were almost 100F and it was pretty cold out.

I have tried to add baffles and other nonsense to shield the contents from the heat but it's not worth the time, materials and bother. If you put in 3 pounds of water to buffer the heat you might as well use flat rate boxes.

Aqpkg
05-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Speculation run rampant here...

First off typically it's hard to pin point any one cause of DOA's...

Secondly both the priority #1 and #4 are rated to preform at a certian LBS per square inch. I believe it to be 150 lb burst test. Also remember that beyond that you have stryo liner to reinforce that crush resistance of said carton. Any crushing that occurs from neglant handling by the carrier is going to happen regardless of which box you choose. Thus I believe it is a preference thing... its hard to justify one over another.

Regardless I am confident in my products as they have worked for me personally. However, I have been wanting to do a direct test for some time. You can find a good example of what I plan to model my test after here:

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/beakerbobs-laboratory/heat-pack-study-revisited-12989/

Producing a test and vlogging the results should provide some decent content which I can use to market. It should also help hobbyists realize their potential to ship aquatics and help put some concerns to rest. Thus, I am up for the challenge... in all my spare time?! :crazy:

beth
05-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Sticking a logging device inside a package sounds good but unless you are prepared to ship a few dozen packages around the country each season (winter, summer, spring/fall) the results are meaningless.

A controlled environment is easy, be it 60F, 40F or 20F. But a package has to be able to be in an unheated cargo hold at 35,000 ft and a room temperature sorting facility and the enclosed back of a truck going down a sunny highway. The only thing which is for sure is that the package will be exposed to many temperatures. The ONLY way to get statistically meaningful results is using a large sample in real world conditions.

You would have more credibility if you would point us to the venue in which you have done all this shipping and receiving of "shrimp and other aquatic pets". Otherwise we might just think you were an account manager at a packaging company like AP&P.

Aqpkg
05-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Your right it really is impossible to stimulate real life conditions. But lets get real... that is really not what looking for. Shipping fish in these methods has been done successfully for many years. We are just trying to break it down and make it easy for everyone.

What we can do is our best to simulate the worst case of scenarios that we possibly can. This would surely accomplish something rather than nothing and get us to a point that we can say we are confident that our shipments should arrive successfully.

You would have more credibility if you would point us to the venue in which you have done all this shipping and receiving of "shrimp and other aquatic pets". Otherwise we might just think you were an account manager at a packaging company like AP&P.

As for this... Beth you know my email if you feel the need to interrogate me simply get in contact with me. It's pretty petty but I'll play along. ;)

Skiboy
05-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Well, congratulations on a great thread! Threads around here used to rock all the time but not so much anymore.

On topic: I now wonder if the DOA's I experienced were in fact heat pack related rather than rough handling. I did recieve one box that size that came in just fine. It was from Johnathan (what was his user name?) the Cherry Shrimp guy. His box had no heat pack and he used 1.25" thick Styrofoam, no heat pack, and a breather bag. The usable space in the box was no bigger than a fist but it worked just fine.

I stand by my statement. With regional box A available and so reasonably priced to ship, I see NO REASON to risk using a #4. You can use the instructions I gave in my article on breather bags in an A box, just use a bit less water in each breather bag.

marli
05-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, nice package...

;)

See ya in chat!

Smiles, marli

hellspawn4
05-19-2011, 01:26 PM
it's funny I see this, but then again not so funny because I just recieved a order of shrimp and fish that came in the same size box and had 6 bags in it. No heat pack no newspaper no nothing! Water ice cold but amazingly everything made it. How in the heck can you ship like that and not be so worried to death that you are going to loose anything or everything?