PDA

View Full Version : Get RID of "Buy it Now"! NOW!

lotsoffish
08-26-2011, 01:34 PM
You know, I am pretty well known for saying what I think even if it's not that popular.

I think Mark Barnett outta seriously consider getting RID of the "Buy it now" feature here at Aquabid. And I USE IT TOO, (on my fish food).

Here's why. I just read a business article on E Bay and WHY E Bay has lost it's luster. The number 1 reason (according to the article) is because of sellers using Buy it now.

And I agree with this and I have been against this "buy it now" since Barnett installed it.

For new users reading this we didn't always have "Buy it Nows".

Anyway, I think 99% of Barnett's improvements on AquaBid.com have made a positive impact on the site but Buy it now is NOT one of them.

Make sellers REALLY run auctions. Auctions folks REALLY have to bid on and folks can SNIPE. Auctions that REALLY end at a certain time. That's the luster E Bay has lost and that's what is detracting from AquaBid.com as a whole.

Buy it now auctions are NOT really auctions. They are swap meet / flea market type sales. Either get rid of that feature OR move all that stuff to the "AquaBid.comSwapmeet" area.

Returning AquaBid.com to it's original form WILL IMPROVE the 24 hour a day AUCTION feel so why not do it? OR even move all the BUY IT NOW auctions to a new area? Get them AWAY from the real time auctions with real closing times.

Lastly on a totally different subject. :evil:

I think he outta ALSO get RID of the feed back upgrade option. All that does is create ways of folks to leverage feed backs.

Change it back to the old way. You get what you get. NO CHANGING ANYTHING later. NO MORE RED ARROWS either.

Make folks THINK about the feed backs they leave because once left they are forever permanent.

That's all I got to suggest today.

Lotsoffish out! :D

PS. Trust me on this type of crap. I am a progressive type guy. When I feel we outta regress back to some old ways there is usually good reasons for it. :bigthumbsup:

kush
08-26-2011, 02:07 PM
I like swap meets and flea markets. I hate being sniped on auctions that end at midnight by people on the west coast because I need to go to bed sometimes. And sometimes, when I want something, I don't want to wait two weeks for it.

lotsoffish
08-26-2011, 02:26 PM
I like swap meets and flea markets. I hate being sniped on auctions that end at midnight by people on the west coast because I need to go to bed sometimes. And sometimes, when I want something, I don't want to wait two weeks for it.

Well good cuz if we MOVE all those type offerings to another area you won't have to wade through all those rotten auctions anymore! :bigthumbsup:

Underwhelmed
08-26-2011, 03:20 PM
I love having AquaBid to buy fish and supplies. I like the Buy It Now option, but then again I don't really like auctions.

I just want to buy the stuff I want or need and know it is on it's way.

Pete, I think you just swapped out your last addiction and replaced it with auctions.

Rjb3
08-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Swaps are great. When a guy walks up to you at a swap and says " Where's your f_ _king food?" You can take it right out of his hands, put it back on the table, and tell him "You don't want to buy this food". When a guy wins an auction, BIN, whatever, you have to deal with him.

AB is great, too. Don't get me wrong, but has anyone on AB ever sold a hundred pounds of fish food in four hours? Even the wildest SNE can't do that. But, I heard of a guy doing it once at a Chicago swap. Everything has its place. Even BIN.

Goober
08-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah .
Blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , Blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , Blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , Blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah....

Slight pause while Dork picks nose.....

Blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah ....

Hmmmm....
Did I get it all ?
Nope , still a little bit in there ......
THERE ! GOT IT !

Blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah , blah blah blah ......

And in summary , ONLY USE THAT BUY IT NOW WHEN I THINK YOU SHOULD !

Signed

The Dork from New York

:baby::baby::baby::baby:

lotsoffish
08-26-2011, 09:31 PM
:baby::baby::baby::baby:

LOL!

I do tend to "never shut up" don't I?

You outta see me typing all this crap out with two fingers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/lotsoffish/aemailgifs/angry-computerman.gif

lotsoffish
08-26-2011, 09:33 PM
The real screwed up thing is I bought 2 auctions today using Buy it now. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/lotsoffish/auction%20%20hype/devil-waving.gif

Goober
08-26-2011, 10:06 PM
The real screwed up thing is I bought 2 auctions today using Buy it now. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/lotsoffish/auction%20%20hype/devil-waving.gif

Never underestimated the psychic power..... :crazy:

doctorgori
08-27-2011, 08:29 AM
IMHO worse than "Buy it now" is that puzzy azzed "reserve" ...
..personally I think "reserve price" is a sneaky cowardly bull&hlt thing for sellers that don't have enough balz to properly price thier products...
I mean if you need $10 for a fish, start off at $10 but don't start at $1 and have me waste my time until your greedy azz gets the amount you really want...

I almost never bid on auctions with reserve pricing

DLW777
08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
I agree about the reserve pricing. Just price how you want to be paid.

I actually like the Buy It Now.

Gotta wonder about you Pete. LOL

hca75
08-27-2011, 01:39 PM
BIN... idc... do what ya want with em.

Reservs- those are a PITA... PAIN IN A$$$$$$...just start it at what you want and be done.

pete- I type with 3 fingers so I know what ya mean.... LOL

Sergio
08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
I agree about the reserve prices, truly an unnecessary condition

About the Buy It Now option I think it's a bit more complicated, because even though it is nice to be able to buy certain things at once, it is quite bad for "new" people who doesn't know the market value of what they are buying. The invertebrate and guppy sections are a good example, most things there are BIN, however, if one checks the few auctions run, the BIN prices tend to be higher that what the auctions go for and, since very few auctions are posted, a newcomer uses the option not knowing better and overpays.

I know it takes time and money to get the critters to be offered, but I think a seller needs to be aware of the true market value of what they are raising/importing. Basically the BIN allows an excess of offer to avoid the corresponding price drop by sustaining sellers on occasional uninformed buys. I'm not sure eliminating the function would really solve it since starting prices/reserves would probably be high, but I think it might help to get the market working a bit better by delaying the decisions made by newcomers, so they know better the "real" price of what they are buying (assuming they wont rush into bidding since the reward is delayed there, which is a wild assumption but at least some have to be smart about it).

Coryologist
08-28-2011, 01:44 PM
What is the "real" price of any fish? Answer - whatever anyone is willing to pay for it. Some people charge $10 a pair for Purple Moscow guppies. Some people charge $30 per pair. Which is "real" and which is not? There is more to every transaction than just the price. The words "quality," "guarantee" and "reputation" need to be factored into the equation. Who determines the, "fair market value?" It's not the buyer and it's not the seller. It's the actual marketplace, itself, comprised of numerous buyers and sellers offering and looking at an auction that makes that determination.

There are some pairs of guppies on AB that go for $250 per pair - and people gladly pay it, because they WANT the fish. That makes them worth $250 to that person - everything else being investigated and the terms clearly understood. Some people would not pay $10 for those guppies. That's what makes this a great country. No one puts a gun to anyone's head. Simply buy what you like when you see it, or move along to another auction.

I never price a fish at what I think someone wants to pay for it. I put a price of what I need to get to make it worth my while. When I fund a buyer who agrees with my estimation of the value of my offering, we have a deal. Those who failed to concur with my appraisal have not been hurt in any way, they simply missed out on some really nice fish. Sellers actually want to sell their fish. Their not going to put an unrealistic price on them. On the other hand, most are not interested in a "race to the bottom. I'd rather flush my fish down the commode, then not get what I need to get to make it worth my while to raise them, list them, ship them and guarantee them.

I always tell people, if they are shopping on "price" alone, I am simply not their guy. No harm, no foul. Cheers. - Frank

tysgrandma
08-28-2011, 02:30 PM
In my opinion, (and I know opinions are like As......, everyone has one), I think that two sepperate arenas should be made, auctions and buy it now. When people do not want to spend the time and anxious fingernail biting of an auction, simply go to buy it now, and get immediate gratification. I know you can just hit the buy it now tab, but, what if they were sepperate arenas?

Coryologist
08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
I know you can just hit the buy it now tab, but, what if they were sepperate arenas?
I don't think that is a good plan. If a buyer heads into AB, with the predetermined idea of just looking for something, as a BIN, they will not be exposed to and possibly tempted by a traditional auction. We're looking for converts. Just a thought. :-) Frank

tysgrandma
08-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Both in AB?

Coryologist
08-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Both in AB?
If you separate them, the buyer will only see the BINs if that is the section that they entered. If they are together, as they are now, they are forced to see both at the same time, hence, the temptation to skip the BIN and possibly try their hand at an auction. - Frank

tysgrandma
08-28-2011, 03:06 PM
o.k. gotcha

Sergio
08-28-2011, 04:52 PM
I'd rather flush my fish down the commode, then not get what I need to get to make it worth my while to raise them, list them, ship them and guarantee them

That is the point of a market. Once a seller has flushed a few spans he will realize it's not worth breeding those fish and switch to others (although that assumes a smart market again, and in some cases sellers just keep re-posting over and over which would suggest they can't read the demand anyway), decreasing the offer and thus leveling out the offer and the demand. Besides the absence of BIN does in no way imply that the seller will get less money than what they want, that is what a starting price is for. It will just protect a few newcomers from overpaying tricked by instant gratification. The hypothesis is that by eliminating BIN sales in some of the categories with an offer excess will go down a bit (since there would be less sales, which is in itself another hypothesis), stimulating a more diverse offer (as hypothesis the only way to find out would be to test them, but since AB is not an economics experiment we are all just speculating here, it would be nice if we had some statistics rigth before and after the inclusion of that option into AB to check).

I think separating the bidding and BIN sections wouldn't do a difference either way, if someone is looking for something in particular the built in search will do, if they are curious about what is being offered they will likely look in both sections.

I do agree with the concept of AB being an auction site. If someone has defined prices they want to sell for they can sell on their own websites as many sellers also do.

joefish72
08-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Lotsoffish I disagree with your take on this matter. I use buy it now on most of my auctions and I don't look at it as a negative to my buyers or this site.
My take on buy it now:
1. For some items I use it as a "gotta have it now" so I'm willing to pay the extra costs (both me and the buyer are happy)
2. For some items I'm trying to pass on a good deal so "buy it now" and save. (The buyer is happy and I'm good because I made room for new products)
3. For some items my buy it now is equal to, or less than, another sellers opening bid. (it's a win for me and the buyer not so much for the other seller)
4. For some items I just know I have a very specific product that only a very few people will have a need for so they can "buy it now" when they need it.

I say get rid of the "reserve" so we don't see dollar auctions with $100 reserves on them. I say if you have a reserve that price should be the opening bid.

Also Ebay just sucks in general, they charge a fee for everything, and now they run paypal too. (see my post about my paypal account)

greyfox
08-30-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't think that is a good plan. If a buyer heads into AB, with the predetermined idea of just looking for something, as a BIN, they will not be exposed to and possibly tempted by a traditional auction. We're looking for converts. Just a thought. :-) Frank

Frank's idea makes sense. And how much easier can it be than to just hit the BIN button?

Coryologist
08-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Frank's idea makes sense.
I am a real brain trust, ain't I?

Smiles. alberto

RMC
08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
I am a real brain trust, ain't I?

Smiles. alberto

So, who is telling you what to type? :king:

Coryologist
08-31-2011, 02:54 PM
So, who is telling you what to type? :king:
You're so funny. You haven't learned, by now, that that no one can tell me anything???

Smiles. alberto.

RMC
08-31-2011, 02:58 PM
You got me there. :king:

baskington
09-01-2011, 03:29 PM
With the buy it now being a different price then the listed beginning price the auction can still go on so you do have the best of both worlds. I have seen auctions with a buy it now go off a lot higher then the listed price.

Just because something gets relisted doesn't mean that it is priced wrong, it means that at that particular week no one was looking for that particular item or they were not ready to purchase.

I have had listings not get a bid for a couple sessions and then the next time have a bidding war. It is all about timing.

river11
09-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I think "reserves" are crazy, price the item where your comfortable, personally if I list something it's because I need the tank space, not to just watch it get lots of worthless bids. "Buy it now" has its purpose with dry goods, where there is more of a set value on an item.
Mike

AquaLab
09-20-2011, 06:06 PM
More of an extreme arrogance type of "godmode" sellers full of degradative ideas about proven ways of internet works =)

lynmccoy
05-25-2012, 03:31 AM
I think Aquabid should keep the "buy it now" option. When my granddaughter and I are looking at the auction site, we might find some guppies,platies,or endlers that we would want to bid on and take the chance that we wouldn't get outbid. Then there may be some that Sammi would see and get so excited about having in her tanks that I won't take the chance of getting outbid on and choose to hit the "buy it now" button. That way I know she'll get the fish she wants. That's the way I do it anyway.