PDA

View Full Version : Another dead cherry shrimp

Raith
12-11-2011, 07:58 AM
I am not sure if it died of natural causes and it died and got scavenged or it was attacked. I have about a 2" tetra, not sure what... I want to say cardinal... The first time this happened, the shrimp had no head, and the shell off it's body was gone... this is the second time this has happened, one was adult, another was a juvenile.... has anyone dealt with this before?

I am stumped. I have 2 amano shrimps in there and that one tetra I mentioned, rest are plants and cherries...

Thanks.

DonT
12-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Have you read this thread?

http://www.aquaboards.com/showthread.php?77149-Troubled

It may or may not apply. I would think predator in your case. I have snails in my tank that eat the dead but it takes them awhile so I see the whole dead shrimp prior to them eating up the body. I would say make it a shrimp only tank for awhile and see, or feed your tetra more so it's not looking for food.

Raith
12-11-2011, 08:39 AM
I feed my tetra routinely meaning every day almost... If the tetra killed the shrimp, wouldn't you think that he would've ate the whole thing? Gah, I think I have about 2-3 juvies/adults left. :(

Raith
12-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Also, I don't have a lot of RCS to begin with so it's hard to check... they're all from the same batch from one seller, though.

DonT
12-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I feed my tetra routinely meaning every day almost... If the tetra killed the shrimp, wouldn't you think that he would've ate the whole thing? Gah, I think I have about 2-3 juvies/adults left. :(

Dont know sounds logical however some fish just want the juicy parts, and will leave the shell ect..
what else would eat your shrimp. I have never seen another shrimp eat a shrimp yet. They could, I have never seen it. My snails will eat them pretty fast and there is nothing much left when they are done. I had fish in my tank originally and I blamed them for the deaths but it wasn't them after I removed them and still had a few die. Could be water issues, how long have you had the shrimp?

Raith
12-11-2011, 10:12 AM
I have now isolated the tetra, there's only 2 amano shrimps and a couple of RCS in there now. Hope no more random deaths. I don't know why the head + shell is missing.. body is still there and nothing was touching it. I have had the RCS for 2 weeks, I have the 2 amano shrimps in there for close to 3 years.

The SHELL and head is missing so Idk, I have no snails also.

DonT
12-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I have now isolated the tetra, there's only 2 amano shrimps and a couple of RCS in there now. Hope no more random deaths. I don't know why the head + shell is missing.. body is still there and nothing was touching it. I have had the RCS for 2 weeks, I have the 2 amano shrimps in there for close to 3 years.

The SHELL and head is missing so Idk, I have no snails also.

Might want to remove the remains. Don't need to teach those that are alive how good shrimp tastes. JMO

Well if another dies then you will know it wasn't the fish. Maybe he can come back home then. Not wishing bad things to the RCS. How is your water chemistry especially PH and KH,GH. Seems that may be my problem, I haven't seem a dead on now in three days so knock on wood maybe those that made it a the hardcore shrimps needed to survive my PH 8+ environment. We will see.

wicca25
12-11-2011, 11:13 AM
if the shell is off its body it molted and made it alot easier to kill so im guessing it became a snack while the new shell was still soft. i dont know many fish that wont eat shrimp. only thing i have found so fare are my least killi and im sure given the chance they would eat babys

DonT shrimp will eat their own kinds depends on how hurngy they are. i know when i left the light on my blue tigers and the water got really warm i ended up with a few dead shrimp cause they molted and got attacked by the other shirmp. i just had to remember to feed more if i leave the light on longer

Raith
12-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Perhaps it is when it was molting... I removed it ASAP... the first shrimp this happened to had no head/shell, this one... same symptoms... maybe it was molting, wasn't sure. I do think I need more... plants.

wicca25
12-11-2011, 05:17 PM
if your keeping them with fish then they will more than likely just keep being snacks

Raith
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
if your keeping them with fish then they will more than likely just keep being snacks

Does this mean ANY fish? Even non-aggressive?

beth
12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Does this mean ANY fish? Even non-aggressive?

Pretty much, yeah. In a very heavily planted tank you may get enough young surviving to replace those which age out but don't expect a booming population.

Even a 1/2" baby guppy will happily snack on any shrimplets it can find. With them being so vulnerable when molting even adults are at risk if there are any fish.

I guess it depends on if you think shrimp are live food or pets.

Raith
12-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Pretty much, yeah. In a very heavily planted tank you may get enough young surviving to replace those which age out but don't expect a booming population.

Even a 1/2" baby guppy will happily snack on any shrimplets it can find. With them being so vulnerable when molting even adults are at risk if there are any fish.

I guess it depends on if you think shrimp are live food or pets.

Wow, I didn't know this. Yeah, the tetra is definitely out of the tank right now! I only have amano... I need to have growing plants I think. :3
I also discover that my RCS are more visible now, they're coming out more since the tetra was removed.

Kevx
12-15-2011, 09:40 AM

You think you're fish are well fed because you feed them "every day almost"? :ohmy:

greyfox
12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
You think you're fish are well fed because you feed them "every day almost"? :ohmy:

I wondered about that too. But was busy when I read it, and forgot about it.

Raith
12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
No dead shrimps yet.