PDA

View Full Version : Planaria and Hydra

greyfox
05-12-2013, 04:42 PM
A couple weeks ago I noticed some planaria in one of my shrimp tanks. Just today I noticed that tank has hydra in it also, plus two other tanks have small planaria starting in them. Will they harm the shrimp? Is there anything that will eat them? If they are harmful to the shrimps, how do you get rid of them? Thanks.

lionlady
05-12-2013, 05:31 PM
The planeria are somewhat inevitable in shrimp tanks...I had them in my RCS tanks for years and never noticed any negative impact on the shrimp population. The hydra on the other hand will catch shrimplets and consume them. I think I read somewhere that certain snails will eat both planeria and hydra's.

wicca25
05-12-2013, 09:07 PM
there are things like "no planaria" you can buy. i use panacur the powder dog dewormer. i think its like a 1 gram pack and you use .10 of a gram per 10 gallons. i just take the powder and keep dividing in half till i get 10 little piles. it works and is safe to the shrimp. only down side is if there are nerites in the tank it will kill them and there is nothing you can do to get it out of the tank once in so nerite snails cant go back into the tank you have used it in

Claudio D. Hirose
06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Get any snails man, avoid assassin snails they will eat the shrimp if they catch em...

greyfox
06-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Lots of ramshorns and MTS in there.

theshrimpzoo
06-01-2013, 09:58 PM
safe guard works well for planaria and hydra, i had hydra before and it kills the m in 1 day and is safe for shrimp and snails.

the planria safe dosnt seem very effective though

havnt had any parasite for a while though,
usually buying livestock from the usa will avoid this.
most of the livestock from asia is grown outdoors in ponds and is prone to it, and they grow shrimp in huge masses so i think they dont check them or care as much.

ziouxpioux
11-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Planeria, everyone seems to hate it. I have read tons on google (LOL Greyfox) and according to what I read those with planeria are horrible people. It means my tanks are in horrible condition and it is a wonder any thing else lives in such sewage.

I researched and apparently some fish will eat it but I have never seen any being gobbled. My water is very clean, I gravel vac and do water exchanges about every two weeks, well not gravel vac that often, but water exchange yes and almost 90%.

I know I over feed so what else is new in the fishy world. :) I think my pet planeria still are not getting enough to eat cause after I feed and there is food floatin at the top, I see those little fellas crawling up the glass.

So a bit ago it hit me and I tried it and it worked. I took a wet dry eraser for tough dirty stuff like in the kitchen and just wiped the glass where my "pets" were crawling. Man did they stick to the eraser thing. Then all I did was go rinse it out with hot water and checked the rest of the tanks. None crawling but now I know how to help keep their population downs. Dang I must be a horrible fish keeper. I gots those planeria things. LOL

greyfox
11-09-2013, 11:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRR52DTWSTs

ziouxpioux
11-09-2013, 02:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRR52DTWSTs

and your point?

Charlie
11-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Spixi Snails will take care of the problem.

ziouxpioux
11-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Spixi snails, I have heard of them, I will see what I can find out about them. Tanks