PDA

View Full Version : converting fresh water shrimp to saltwater

ziouxpioux
02-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Can it be done, like with Sakuri?

beth
02-03-2014, 09:02 PM
You mean Sakura (Neocaridina heteropoda)? I am going to say probably not. Sure, some animals can spend part of their life in one environment and the rest in another. But they are the exception.

Freshwater animals are adapted to hold onto to minerals while excreting water. Saltwater animals are the opposite, they must expel minerals into water that is already more saturated than they are, and do it without getting dehydrated. Although some animals may have very adaptable kidneys, most are not going to be able to have their body do the opposite of what it has evolved to do.

ziouxpioux
02-04-2014, 06:14 AM
I was just hoping, :) since guppys, mollys will adapt if it is done slowly. Thanx for your answer.

verbal
02-04-2014, 06:32 AM
You mean Sakura (Neocaridina heteropoda)? I am going to say probably not. Sure, some animals can spend part of their life in one environment and the rest in another.
I agree on the Neocaridina.

I think you might have luck adapting Amano shrimp(and I think there are others) to salt since part of their lifecycle is in brackish water.

ziouxpioux
02-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Not even sure I will get a salt tank. I am just missing sea horses and I was thinking it would be nice if I could get a prolific shrimp that will do fine in salt. Unlike the expensive shrimp that are sold in stores that are endemic to salt and difficult to get their larvae to survive. But I sure am investigating it before I take that plunge.

kush
02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
...was thinking it would be nice if I could get a prolific shrimp that will do fine in salt.

Even if you acclimate them to salt, they won't be prolific. The caridina sps breed in fresh water, mature in salt water, and migrate back into fresh water to breed. (That's right, isn't it? It's not the other way 'round, right?) Although, you could do a really cool two-tank biotope replicating freshwater and brackish estuary with a spillway connecting them! Neato!

ziouxpioux
02-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Yes, I checked on the Amano life cycle and it seems as you say.

I would be better off acclimating Mollys or guppys.